Parents of the HS Class of 2022

Out of curiosity, what would that look like?

1 Like

Are you OOS for UGA?

yes though has partial OOS tuition waiver and would have full waiver last two years.

1 Like

How do the waitlists work - timing wise? Do students( on the waitlist) get to hear if they made it or not before May 1st or afterwards ( which probably does not help since they would have had to commit elsewhere by the May 1 deadline ). Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance

Waitlisted students should expect to hear after May 1 but if spots open up prior to May 1, then some schools will start admitting students. In general, a student should enroll in another school by May 1. If they are admitted off the waitlist, then they have the option to enroll and lose the deposit on the original school or decline and remain enrolled in the original school. Usually the schools give a 5-7 day decision timeline for the admits. Before accepting make sure you understand the financial aid and housing availability as a waitlisted admit.

6 Likes

S22 plans to commit to a school that accepted him. He plans to remain on 3 waitlists, although, as we get more information about the school weā€™re committing to, itā€™s less and less likely that he will be interested in changing, if he does happen to get accepted from a waitlist. If he decides heā€™s not interested at all, he will withdraw from the waitlists, but right now, heā€™s going to just let things sit where they are for a bit while he focuses on his senior year and EC activities.

Iā€™m fairly certain that none of the 3 waitlists heā€™s on are going to move before May 1, but who knows!

3 Likes

My oldest had a passport at the age of 6 months. The photo is adorable. We have a passport photo from the 1970ā€™s of me and my sibling on my Momā€™s knee. Also cute.

Itā€™s a privilege to live in a house, have running water, have food, medicine, indoor plumbing and so much else.

Having a basic identity document is handy. I honestly donā€™t understand how someone can be upset by a passport. But so many things on the ā€œprivilegeā€ list make me roll my eyes. Beyond the realm of what I can imagine getting upset over.

5 Likes

Both parents have to either be present or produce an official letter allowing the other parent to get the passport for a minor. In cases of contentious separation (or parental abandonment), it would be virtually (if not entirely) impossible for some minors to get a passport.

I can imagine, if I were a parent or minor stuck in that situation, people tossing about ā€œjust get a passport!ā€ would seem irretrievably ignorant of reality.

Personally, I do find it simpler to use a passport to establish identity for purposes of I-9 documentation, as does my S22. It is not the only way to do so, however, and that list of documents on the form explain what you can use instead.

2 Likes

Youā€™ll note I did not use the word ā€œprivilegeā€ even once in my post that youā€™re dismissing out of hand.

I imagined a circumstance (that I know some people experience), and how it would make it virtually impossible to obtain a passport for a minor, and then I imagined what I might think of people who dismiss that situation.

Never once did I invoke any of the current trigger words.

Do colleges notify waitlisted students that they are done with waitlists?I know it varies but typically would you know your waitlist prospects by end of May so that they can have closure?

The schools do notify waitlisted students when the close their waitlist. Many times they may not close their waitlist until the summer.

2 Likes

I read in a few threads that many schools release their first wave of WL offers mid-May. Is this true if most schools? Also is it true you only have 72 hours to decide? I read that on a post as well, but that seems a little unrealistic if a kid wants to take a look in person to make sure. If I needed to fly out for example and get us flight/hotel, is it ever possible for a school to give you a few extra days to do that?

In general, schools will start admitting off the waitlist after May 1 if spots are available. Each school gives students a deadline to accept or decline and the amount of time varies. Usually 5-7 days is common but again it can vary by school.

3 Likes

Interesting opinion on rankings by the President of Reed college The Rankings Farce

How much was USNews ranking a factor @ schools your kids applied to this year? Did you or your student even care about rankings?

D22 didnā€™t care about rankings, but did care about whether schools were ā€œgoodā€. She used Niche to look at details like standardized test score ranges of admitted students, grade point average of incoming class, food quality, ease of getting classes they want, quality of professors, stress level indicators, school spiritā€¦ I think she only wanted to consider schools that got a Niche grade of A- or better. When USNews rankings came out, we looked at schools where she applied, but it didnā€™t change her opinions.

2 Likes

Our kids donā€™t care about rankings but do look to see whatā€™s out there on occasion mostly which subjects the schools are known for. Donā€™t ever use Niche as it is parents and kids voting on their own schools. Plus nearly everything is A+. Itā€™s good in the comment section to see things but have the inkling there might be some clean up. Plus schools are advertising so does that influence the rankings?

1 Like

We didnā€™t really care about US News rankings either. S22 weighed a variety of schools but came down to NYU and Fordham. He knew Fordham was easier to get into and that he preferred NYU overall, but it wasnā€™t about either schoolā€™s US News ranking ā€“ I would bet he couldnā€™t tell you where exactly either school ranks. Weā€™ve always emphasized the quality of the specific program relative to the kidsā€™ interests and desires. Our D19 applied only to Parsons, which is part of the New School. The New School is ranked 136th, but we never paid a momentā€™s attention to that ā€“ Parsons is top five or 10 in all of its disciplines, and the BBA program there was perfect for D19ā€™s interest in working on the business side of the art world.

Iā€™m increasingly skeptical of US News and other rankings for the reasons that the Reed president lays out. Theyā€™re arbitrary to the point of near-meaninglessness, and easily gamed, as we see with Columbiaā€™s egregious recent actions to reach No. 2. I joke with my wife, but is my alma mater, Northwestern (No. 9), fundamentally ā€œbetterā€ than hers, Georgetown (No. 23)? Itā€™s all a bit silly.

9 Likes

My opinion is that there are a lot of A+ schools out there, and Niche reinforces that many schools not in the T20 will provide a quality education! Also, in every case where I have done the ā€œcontrol experimentā€ (reading comments on schools I know well) the Niche reviews have been pretty close to truth.

9 Likes

I looked at the rankings for my Dā€™s major when we initially started putting together a list but after a few visits, her ā€œmust havesā€ drove what stayed on the list and we never looked at rankings again.

3 Likes