Parents of the HS Class of 2022

Clemson takes them. They also give a lot of credits for 4 and 5s on AP tests. My D18 graduated in 3 years because of the 36 or so credits she had going in.

3 Likes

More public universities take dual credits than private. It is a question you need to ask the schools you are considering as it can make a difference in your total cost of attendance.

2 Likes

You can also search using transfer equivalency table. Schools will typically list courses they have given credit for in the past so it is not comprehensive but it should give a good idea of which courses will be accepted.

The colleges may have a publicly accessible database of courses they accepted in the past. This may give your nephew a better idea. If a course isnā€™t listed, it doesnā€™t mean that it wonā€™t get accepted, especially if it isnā€™t a common course. It never hurts to reach out to the colleges and ask.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I sent my sister-in-law the Clemson site and suggested to look at the other colleges as well.

https://transferringcredits.app.clemson.edu/transferequivalency.php

One misconception is that it doesnā€™t matter if you make Aā€™s in AP or DC courses because the high school gives bonus points. Yes, one gets bonus points toward the weighted GPA but colleges with rigorous admissions look at grades and course rigor.

2 Likes

My D is going off to San Diego, I do not want to send her with a passport. (because of Tijuana)
Do you really think a student ID and driverā€™s license isnā€™t enough for employment?

2 Likes

D20 wasnā€™t looking for a job at all on campus so we hadnā€™t even thought of I-9 requirements or anything like that. When she was unexpectedly offered a job with one of her professors, thatā€™s when we found out she needed to supply either a birth certificate or a passport to prove citizenship.

Of course she had neither on her, what we did was ordered a copy of her birth certificate to be sent to her school, it was fairly low cost to do so (something like $8 for the certificate and another $15 for the shipping).

You may want to order an additional birth certificate copy to send if you donā€™t want to send your child with her passport.

1 Like

I related to your comment so much. Currently, D22 agonizing about her decision. State school closer to home good but not ranked high. She loves everything about it but feeling immense pressure from peers to go to the very highly ranked school she is accepted to 6-7 hour drive from home (or short flight). D has managed through some anxiety in last few years and we are so proud of how far she has come. Any tips on being the parent and supporting her to make the best decision for herself without being able to quiet the chatter from peers? Sheā€™s at a very competitive high school where more of her friends are off to highly ranked schools.

1 Like

Focus on her path, best fit, positives of closer university.
Classmates will be on their own journeys, not attending with her.

10 Likes

I understand this too. We adopted the mantra that ā€œcollege is not a prize to be won, but a match to be made.ā€ this mindset shift really worked for my daughter. encourage her to focus on the things at state school she really loves and recognize her path is her path and her happiness matters more than her peersā€™ opinions. (admittedly tough to do). we even did an old style ā€œpro/conā€ list which brought clarity. . . good luck.

21 Likes

Neither a drivers license nor a student ID is proof of citizenship. @beebee3 gave a good alternative. Iā€™m not advocating that every student bring their passport with them. Someone asked if there was a reason a student would need a passport and I replied that they will need it if they are going to work on campus. My oldest didnā€™t apply to work until the end of freshman year. He came home over spring break and brought his passport back with him.

Iā€™m wondering why Tijuana is your concern. Do you feel that there is a greater likelihood her passport will be stolen in San Diego than in another city?

Iā€™ll start the conversation/discussion now since it will inevitably come up. Some people purchase small safes for their students to keep in their dorm room. My kids never put their laptops or phones in a safe but that is where they kept their passport, check book, keys to our house, wallet etc.

4 Likes

Of all the things young adults should manage in attending a residential college, safeguarding oneā€™s passport is comparatively easy and minor. They can manage custody of it, and deal with the consequences if they donā€™t.

4 Likes

My D21 was in a similar spot last year. She was accepted to a couple of ivies and 2 other T20ā€™s, but she ended up taking the scholarship at a solid state school. We will never know if the prestige schools would have set her up for a better career, but I do see that the state school is working out. She has excellent grades, is working in a very good lab, has 2 volunteering gigs that are helping her become a better person, and is spending the summer in Europe because we arenā€™t paying for the fancy school.

As long as she goes where she will blossom everything will be fine.

19 Likes

I think the parent doesnā€™t want her daughter actually going to Tijuana because itā€™s so close and easy to get to.

8 Likes

Lost, Rather than go down the rabbit hole in the room, feel free to message me for possible examples.

1 Like

We didnā€™t send our D with her passport. All she needed was a driverā€™s license and her social security card/number for her employer.

2 Likes

Both when our S was doing paid research at school and his first FT position required enough to prove citizenship. Passport easy-peasy

We all have enhanced driverā€™s licenses. Iā€™m assuming those would work as well as a passport? I had a passport when I got my license and brought it with me for citizenship proof. I brought SS cards for the kids.

No decision here yet. Down to 2 places. One is his choice and one is ours. Iā€™m slowly going his way.

2 Likes

No, the documents most commonly used for citizenship are either 1. A passport; or 2. Birth certificate and photo license. Most states allow non-US citizens to get an enhanced drivers license provided rhey can show lawful presence in the US

3 Likes

As far as I can tell, the IRS has not updated the I-9 form to include Enhanced Driverā€™s License as different from regular Driverā€™s License. So youā€™d still need a SS card or Birth Certificate (even though thatā€™s the whole point of the EDLā€¦)

2 Likes