Parents of the HS Class of 2022

My daughter visited colleges up and down the East Coast - but ended up accepting one that was 30 minutes away, because it was objectively the best choice. However, for the first semester she immediately dismissed the suggestion that it would be okay if she forgot to pack something since it could just be dropped off. She wanted to FEEL as if she truly had left home, not take the easy way out.

That lasted about one semester. After that, the “newness” of the experience had vaned and pragmatism set in. We still only saw her one or twice the semester, but she by then was perfectly fine dropping off/pickup up suit cases to swap seasonal clothes, or asking for a forgotten charger to be dropped off.

In later years, she made regular trips to our home town, not to be home with us, but to meet up with peers (and enjoy free dinners from us).

On the downside, now she attends grad-school FLIGHT-hours away, and now both sides are finally learning to deal with the “real” separation.

3 Likes

Anyone get a language waiver when applying to college?

I’m helping an immigrant HS senior who didn’t know he has to take 2+ years of language, striving for reach/elite colleges.
He only took 1 year of ASL (sign language), which is not recognized by many colleges.
He’s not international; he immigrated here to US.

Is it possible for the college to waive their “minimum requirement” for language?

If yes, please share your process.

My son took AP Spanish and also Honors Spanish 5, so he had no language minimum issue, so I’m not familiar with this.

Thank you very much.
Amanda

Each college may be different. Look up the requirements for international students, usually there it will be spelled out what to do about English language and other language requirements.

Thanks.
They’re looking and reaching out to specific college admissions, but they are really crushed for time.
They’ve done many things the wrong way.
Poor kid.

Thought someone would have experienced this and have some insight/tips.

Is he fluent in native language? Perhaps an assessment test is available?
Kids with learning differences/dyslexia might get waiver of foreign language, but, not easy or straightforward.
Otherwise could take gap year.

1 Like

@Mwfan1921 ?
@Lindagaf ?

As far as I know, a student won’t be exempted from FL requirements, without some other requirement being met, such as qualifying AP scores or testing out of a FL as per the college’s standards.

At a college that has a mandatory FL component in its curriculum, a student without documentation for learning disabilities will have to find a way to fulfill that requirement. Many colleges now offer ASL, which is a good option for some students. If a student has LD’s, the options should be discussed with the Office of Disabilities before choosing to attend.

My own son, who is dyslexic and dreaded having to do the FL component. He was required to take 3 semesters of FL. He chose to do his FL via the local community college during summer and winter terms.He of course checked first that he could transfer the CC credits to his university. This was a good option for him because he could only take the classes as pass/fail, so his GPA remained intact.

There are colleges that don’t have FL requirements. Some colleges allow students to take various classes in culture or history as a way to fulfill the requirement. My own son’s public U did not. He didn’t enjoy his winter and summer FL courses, but he got through it just fine.

If this is going to be a big problem for a student, it’s his obligation to ensure he can find a way to meet the FL requirement before choosing to attend that college. That means researching, emailing, and calling to ensure the student fully understands the expectations. Once at college, it will be too late, quite frankly. If taking a FL is simply not an option for a student, they should not enroll at the college if there is no way to fulfill the requirement, or if getting LD documentation is not possible. And even with LD documentation, not all colleges have a FL requirement escape route.

3 Likes

What language and what college? He might be able to do a CLEP test. https://clep.collegeboard.org/ or AP test in the language. I would suggest reaching out directly to the Admissions Office with these questions.

Sounds like the guidance counselor at his school dropped the ball.

4 Likes

All you can do is check each college individually, and talk to admissions officers if necessary. Some colleges won’t accept a student who didn’t take FL in HS, some will.

What state does the student live in? I assume they are an international student (not a US citizen, or permanent resident)?

I agree with the CLEP suggestion too.

2 Likes

Hi - My D22 does not have scholarships or student loans. We are paying for full tuition/fees. Is any of it tax deductible? Thanks

Maybe tax deductible in your state.
No longer tax deductible for federal, but check if federal education opportunity credit may be available

Depends on income.

3 Likes

Does your state offer tax benefits for contributing to a 529 plan? My state instituted a cap on contribution limits starting this year, so I put in the max allowed and pulled it back out a week later (basically put it in the money market fund selection) to capture the state tax deduction for the year. Since it didn’t earn any interest in that timeframe, there’s no federal tax on it either.

1 Like

D22 has been down with the flu - hard. She tested positive for flu last week. Missed an entire week of classes and is still suffering with congestion and a bad cough. :weary:

So sorry! Hope she is better soon! My D22 ok so far,:crossed_fingers: but seems a matter of time. Strep, flu, bronchitis , or bad colds going around at UMD.

I’m sorry to hear that. I hope she feels better soon and can catch up with classes.

Me too. Her profs have given her extensions, but everything needs to get done. I hope her grades don’t suffer.

4 Likes

All kids at Oxford feel like they’re in way over their heads academically in their first term. (Some just hide it better). They warn the overseas kids about it in the introductory seminars. Our instructor even made a date with us to meet up in a pub after exactly four weeks of term so we could all kvetch and he could remind us of what he said.

I think the difference is we didn’t reach out to our parents the way kids do. It would have required a letter, or expensive overseas phone call. My kids drop texts at the slightest annoyance or inconvenience.

My parents never knew about my struggles in all this detail.

10 Likes

I had lunch today with an old friend who grew up in the Middle East and she said the same (she also went to Oxford). She gave her parents a lot of credit for allowing their two daughters venture so far at a time when you might not hear from your child for months.

So excited we were able to change D22’s flight so she is coming home a day early for Thanksgiving break! Her Tuesday classes were all canceled but last time we checked it was too pricey to change her ticket. Today the fares came down.

14 Likes

You must be thrilled
Is this her 1st time home since send-off?

DS2022 is bringing home ~8 college boys, who aren’t flying home, for Thanksgiving.
I haven’t hosted Tday in years, and so I’m a bit nervous about the logistics of a large turkey and a large pernil (Dominican roast pork), warming up the sides/rolls/gravy, etc.

Son was thinking the boys could stay over,
and of course, mom would make a big pancake/eggs for brunch.

These boys are seriously going to eat our fridge clean!

12 Likes