Parents of the HS Class of 2022

Some colleges want to see a government course. Doesn’t have to be AP gov, regular is fine, so it that’s an option I’d consider that.

And I think it’s totally fine to take a regular science class.

This race to take as many APs as possible is unnecessary.

S22 stopped Spanish after fulfilling the required two years of it. Same story, really didn’t enjoy it at all. I’ll let you all know how that works for him during the college admissions season. :yum:

But he is very focused on computer science/engineering. The schools we’re (and yes, it’s “we’re”) looking at will likely be more interested in his math, science, engineering, and computer science courses. One on his list, Rose-Hulman, doesn’t even list foreign language courses as a requirement:

https://www.rose-hulman.edu/admissions-and-aid/early-planning/high-school-prep-and-testing.html

2 Likes

We’re a bit concerned about the language requirements as well. Our HS does not offer languages past second year. Our S went to the local uni during his senior year to get (actually four) more language credits, but language is not D’s thing. Since there is no Spanish 3, D is not taking language this year.

S got into a top-tier school. Wondering if lack of language will hurt D’s chances, since she wants to attend the same uni.

My S has taken Spanish III in 10th (in his school 7th and 8th grade has Spanish I). He didn’t enjoy Spanish at all and with hybrid model, he decided to not take it this year. Do you think it will be a problem for colleges? Other core courses, he is fine.
TIA.

I think AP Computer Science is fine and here it counts as a math course. What level of math has he had so far? If he’s in AP CS and AP Stats, that might be plenty, depending on what he wants to do in college.

What classes does he want to take overall? It sounds like he has “enough” of each type to get him into a college. If it’s enough for where he wants to go, is it a bad thing to let him take things that just interest him while meeting any requirements? My S22 is my oldest, so I am definitely not talking from experience!

My D20 took Spanish III in 10th grade and then stopped. She got into everywhere she applied but wasn’t applying to tippy-tops (got into schools like Dickinson, Fordham, and American). However she now needs to get through Spanish I & II in college and is really dreading it as she hasn’t taken Spanish in so long. My S22 is taking Spanish 4 this year and doesn’t mind it, so will prob take Spanish 5 next year in hopes he can test out of a language in college.

2 Likes

I think the usual advice for a student who may be interested in top 50 schools is that they should take all five core areas (math, English, history/social studies, science and foreign language) every year of high school. There are exceptions of course such as a bilingual household or the school doesn’t offer language beyond a certain level. Also it is expected that all students should take biology, chemistry and physics and math including calculus even if the student is not going into STEM. Of course the offerings vary widely at different schools but if your student’s school offers these courses (and if you think they might be interested in any top 59 schools) the best approach might be to take these so your student won’t be at a disadvantage. One of my kids was very interested in STEM so he took AP Stats as an elective (along with 5 “solids” including APcalc BC).

1 Like

For the many schools that start foreign language early, I think 4 years of a language, through level 4, is fine - it doesn’t need to be taken senior year.

I suspect Rose-Hulman is in the minority of not requiring/recommending a foreign language. Fewer than two years will severely restrict college options, and three or four will make a candidate more attractive. At many of the top schools, four years is either recommended or very common from most applicants. (A HS not offering it is obviously an extenuating circumstance)

My D is finishing up French 4 this year and won’t be taking AP French next year.

There are several ways to meet the language other than English requirement. For California, you meet it with one of the following: a score of 600 in the SAT subject test. A 3 or above in the AP language exam or a 4 or above in an IB exam. 4 years of foreign language instruction with 3.0 or above in high school and an oral proficiency exam. A district test score of proficient or above in reading, writing, and speaking.

@christinelin, thanks he did get his scores later that day. He did very well but he still wants to do a little better so he will take it again.

1 Like

My S just asked what I think he should take next year. He has room for 2 electives, as the rest are a continuation of his IB classes this year. He will not have Chinese for the first time ever. So weird to think about it. But he’s in IB Chinese now. He could take AP just to keep up with the language for the year, but he really doesn’t want to.

Hi, I posted in another forum that said something about 3.0-3.4, I didn’t really understand what that meant but now I think it means GPA, oof. Is this just a regular parents of HS class of 2022? What does the Randolph-Macon College thing next to the title mean? I just want to make sure I’m in the right forum. This is my youngest D/ kiddo, I was on the class of 2019 board and this new format is so different, IDK if I understand everything here! Jumping in because I realized it’s time to get my D excited about the next year and a half. The good thing is she went on most of the college tours with us when I took my older D. Not that she really remembers them, but still. We did a few YouTube tours today, so we are excited. Just what I was hoping for, mwha hahah. Someone let me know if I’m in the right place, thanks!

5 Likes

You are indeed! I know there is a thread for that GPA range. This one is for everyone with Class of 2022 kids, whatever the GPA.

Thank you @sfSTEM!

1 Like

Welcome @jellybean5! You are at the right place. My S22 has been doing online tours as well. I expected all to be similarly well-polished and presenting each school in its best light, but I’ve been surprised that my son has discounted a number of schools based upon their video tours or info sessions. One even somehow made him feel unwelcome, because he did not have much in common with the current students in the info session or the ones presented in the video. I suspect he will have much different impressions if he ever gets to visit in person.

2 Likes

Hi @vistajay! Yes D22 and I did 3 - 1/2 YouTube tours yesterday. One we looked at just for curiosity’s sake, and couldn’t finish watching. It is a large public school here in Texas. D22 seems to be trying to stay closer to home, unlike D19 who had to get out of Texas, lol.
I’m trying to figure out what will motivate her to study for the SAT. It’s kind of hard since she is still doing school at home. She’s doing great grades-wise but who doesn’t need human interaction to get motivated once in a while.

Well, in retrospect, I wish I had waited to have mine do the January PSAT! She seems to be getting serious about things now.

2 Likes

Possibly depends on the school? I don’t think that would have helped at my older daughter’s school.

Hmmm, my D22 has “currentboyfrienditis”. This was not an issue with my older two, and I would definitely trade for “prestigeitis”, lol. I’m really afraid she will ignore schools that would provide a pleasant four years for some place that is possibly going to be near this guy.

1 Like

I learnt about this forum a couple of days back. This is my first daughter going to college in 2022.
So far she has the following stats:
SAT - 1570
PSAT - 213
Lots of AP and Pre-AP Courses - Almost all (except Band which she is doing 4 years)
Unweighted GPA - 4.0
Weighted GPA - 5.33
She is interested in Pre-Med and I am looking for the best colleges around. We are from TX.
One issue I am facing is with the Calculators showing no aid. Our family makes about 200K+ each year (since last year and prior to that was making about 150K) and so while I am doing comfortably well now, I don’t have a ton of cash to burn. Since last year, I save around 50K per annum. I have invested in a couple of properties and so most of my savings is stuck there. I have Stock in my company account worth over 100K but that means I need to sell it out and pay huge taxes. My Bank Savings would be about 15K. Do colleges expect me to liquidate my properties and stock to pay for my kids college? I have another kid coming up in 4 years for which I would need to again go thru the same process.

1. How do you manage paying substantial fees? I would hate to have my kids take loans.
  2. Also, can folks here recommend good colleges with the above scores? D22 is super-interested in Pre-Med. Currently, looking at Baylor (scholarships up 23K per annum), UTA (which I hear has no scholarships) and UTD (which I hear can give full scholarship)
    Much appreciate all the advice I can get.
1 Like