Parents of the HS Class of 2023 3.0-3.4

So glad to see some of S23’s schools mentioned on here. UNF seemed to take forever. He applied first week of Aug but was accepted last month.
Glad to hear he got into top choice and with merit. That usually seals the deal but you never know. It is wonderful for them to have choices!

2 Likes

We haven’t visited UMaine yet, but from what I can tell, while it’s in a tiny town (population 10k), it’s not even 15 minutes from Bangor (population 30k+), 2 hours to Portland (population 70k), 4 hours to Boston (population 650k). Not in the middle of nowhere but also not right in a city or anything like that. An hour to Acadia National Park, too! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It isn’t the middle of nowhere in the sense that there are no towns for hours. It is in the middle of nowhere in the sense that that are no cities for hours. The entire coast from Bar Harbor down to south of Portland is filled with cute restaurants, art galleries, music venues…but many of them are only open May to early fall.

Bangor is a town that has a few things to do. I haven’t spent much time there, so I’m not sure how many choices you’d have for things like restaurants, but if you want city-level choices or excitement you have to go to Portland. At 2 hours away, that is too far to go for an evening out.

3 Likes

Hi Bethy1!
I wanted to mention that our/my daughter’s experience with UMaine is that it is NOT remote and isolated. It’s Maine! Sure, Orono is a small college town. However, it’s literally less than 10 minutes from Bangor… one exit on I-95, OR straight down Stillwater Ave. Bangor is a perfectly lively place with every kind of restaurant, including fancy eclectic local eateries, farm to table, etc…, plus the usual mall, big box stores, small businesses, etc… and an airport to boot. And it’s legit- Delta does at least 5 flight a day to NYC. It’s been fantastic!

8 Likes

I was looking at flights to Philly and the cost was high. How much are flights to NYC airports?

It has been reasonable so far. When she flew home for Columbus Day/ Fall break- it was about $150 round trip Bangor to LGA.
Thanksgiving was more like $250 RT, but I think that’s because we waited too long to book it. Worth looking into.

4 Likes

I think prices rise during ski season.

2 Likes

Oooooh thank you for this!

3 Likes

If anyone applied to George Mason Acceptances are in the portal this morning

5 Likes

That’s so much better than to Philly. I should look into Newark. That would be doable for us.

1 Like

My daughter is going to Elon, but her dad, all of her uncles, and her grandfather all went to St. Joe’s. She applied there and I think it would have been a solid fit for her, support-wise.

2 Likes

Today was a good one! D23 accepted to University of Denver with amazing merit and also Binghamton (merit pending)!

We had never even heard of Binghamton before this group but it was suggested based on her specific wishlist and somewhat unique academic situation. We love what we’ve heard and now look forward to learning more about this potential dark horse.

So fun!

I’m so grateful to this community. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

18 Likes

I am thinking of applying to Denver regular decision. Did you visit? Also, does your daughter have really good EC’s or test scores. Major? I am starting to hear from schools too. I like this thread too, it’s been helpful to me!

1 Like

We had a visit planned but had to cancel our trip last minute (it’s OOS). We did attend a local event when an AO visited our state. Daughter applied test optional. Average EC’s with club sport, schools clubs and community volunteering. Some of her EC’s she’s done for over a decade. One of her EC’s is fairly unique and a good fit for DU in particular compared to many schools.

Major: Biological Sciences. 3.9 unweighted GPA but lighter rigor compared to many in the CC community.

2 Likes

Something very cool happened. Mount St. Mary’s in Maryland gave D23 a grant on top of the merit scholarship that brings her cost down to comparable to our in state public. They are meeting our EFC without loans!

26 Likes

That is great news!

Congrats!

My daughter asked to apply to LSU and then put down $50 in singles on the table in front of me. :flushed:

Life is full of surprises.

11 Likes

So my S23 started off strong, admitted to WVU, MSU, ASU, Xavier. Pitt and Penn Staye, got into satellite campuses, which he doesn’t want. Denied from Univ of Tampa and Ohio State and deferred by Univ of Oregon. He has choices, which is fantastic but he is bummed with the latest news. It’s hard when you have a 3.0 and hear all the other kids get into their first choices. I told him that he will go to college and has great choices. Sigh…

10 Likes

Those are all great choices for your son. My son was also accepted Xavier University.
Congrats !

4 Likes