Parents of the HS Class of 2023 3.0-3.4

Congratulations!! She had so many great choices. Suffolk is such a fun location- my brother lives in Beacon Hill if you ever want restaurant recommendations. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

2023 RESULTS POST
I am posting this here because you all helped us SO MUCH! Even though our daughter has a high GPA it is compromised by many factors (see below). Plus her final choice URI is open to lower stats and has a wonderful friendly lower key vibe that many students might really like.

Daughter has chosen to attend U of Rhode Island. It came down to URI or UMass Amherst. Loved both - UMass was beyond impressive but her heart felt joyful and peaceful at URI. She chose it for the People, the Fun, and the Beach community vibe. Especially the people.

Stats: 3.9 UW GPA, Test Optional, 1 Honors, 1 AP

OUTLIER: Has life threatening medical condition: Missed Entire Junior Year, PLUS Covid closures. Has Accomodations and did lots of Credit Retrieval and had much lighter rigor than she would have if healthy.

Rural West Coast Public High School. 25% of graduates enroll in 4 year colleges.

ECā€™s - Average to Good but no leadership: Niche Club sport with National Medal, Advanced Choirs, Rotary Interact Club, French Club, Musical Theater, Volunteered every summer with community group - even during Covid. In all groups for 4-7 years (with interruptions from Covid and health issues)

Essays - She chose not to have anyone proofread them. So they were def in her voice and unique in that way. In her school she is a way above average writer. Teachers love her - good LORā€™s.

Intended major: Bio or similar (but NOT pre med - wants research and academia)

Not eligible for any type of need based aid - not even institution aid from our one CSS school.

ACCEPTED - All state schools are OOS, Applied EA whenever possible
University of Puget Sound - 30k Merit
University of Denver - 28k Merit
Colorado State - WUE 10k discount
University of Minnesota Twin Cities - 15k Merit
Michigan State - 10k Merit plus study abroad stipend
Western Michigan University - No merit
University of Delaware - 10k Merit
SUNY Binghamton - 10k Merit
University of Maine - 19,200 Merit
University of New Hampshire - 10k Merit
University of Connecticut - No Merit
University of Massachusetts Amherst - 12k Merit
Wheaton College MA - 40k Merit, plus 3500 study abroad stipend
Salve Regina University - 30k Merit
University of Rhode Island - 12k Merit - ATTENDING

REJECTED
University of Washington Seattle - In state

13 Likes

That is fantastic! I love seeing everyoneā€™s results, thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Yes to this. One of my good friends has 3 very high achieving kids at top universities and last summer he hugged me and said ā€œItā€™s so stressful! I donā€™t envy you going through it. Itā€™s so stressful!ā€ and now on the other side, I think it was much, much less stressful to be the parent of a B student applying to schools with over 50% acceptance rates. You might not get a lot of attention on this site, but you get peace of mind. Also, I was really happy with the schools she chose to apply to and I know there are so many more great schools out there that we didnā€™t get to see.

19 Likes

I hope more 3.0-3.4 parents will post their results! I see a lot of folks posting on the main thread, but I know I really relied on these B student threads when I was researching the last few years. Congrats to everyone on getting to the end of this process this year!

15 Likes

I found a lot of hope in the 2022 group last year and this group during our application season. Not sure Iā€™ve given our update.

Full pay family.

S23 (ADHD, treated w/meds/case mgr) started the process with a 3.1 GPA coming out of remote learning. Killed it junior year; worked up to a 3.34 UW GPA and 3.78W GPA by the time he applied for Animal Science/Biology/Marine Bio. SAT 1410

This year: AP BIO, AP Stats; AP/DE Spanish; DE Western Civ; Advanced Chem.
Last year: Honors Chem, Bio, English, College Prep Pre-Calc and Physics.

Advanced Open Water SCUBA diver
2nd degree Black belt in Taekwondo
Shadowed/worked at a vet for 1 year.
Average school ECs; Honor Society invite as a Senior.
Intermittent employment.

Accepted:
UMAINE - Honors 18K Merit
UVM - 12K Merit
UMASS Amherst - 12K Merit. (Attending Animal Science)
UCONN - Regional Tuition Discount for Marine Science (~15k off)
UNH (in state, 3K Merit)

Deferred, then rejected from Northeastern
Rejected from BU.

No love from St. Andrews or Edinburgh either. Suspect not enough APs/high enough GPA.

My take aways:
In some cases, a land/space/sea grant university is the best place for a specific major (Pre-Vet/Animal Science/Marine Bio) because of access to farm, veterinary diagnostic labs, or marine facilities. These universities will also have enough other majors if there is a change of heart.

A great school too close to home is a tough sell for a lot of kids.

Lots can change between Sophomore & Senior Year.

16 Likes

Haha, lots can happen between Nov 1 senior year and May 1! Your son had lots of great options, thanks for sharing. He chose UMass in the end?

4 Likes

He did!

1 Like

Son made his final decision and will be attending UMaine. Thrilled for him and the choices he had for his future. Again, there is merit out there for our kids. Glad the whole ā€œapplicationā€ process is over. Wishing everyone good luck next year.

13 Likes

Son #1, S23 is going to UW-Stevens Point. We went up this weekend and had a good visit. Now he needs to do the placement tests, advising, orientation, find a roommate ā€“ letā€™s do this!

Next up, S24 - who is very noncommittal. Heā€™s been under the radar with all the attention on the oldest but that is about to change. He got a 24 on the ACT, didnā€™t study for it and has maybe a 3.2 average, so Iā€™ll be worrying over him on the Class of 2024 thread.

8 Likes

Youā€™re welcome to also join us on the HS Class of 2024 3.0-3.4 thread!

5 Likes

Yay for Stevens Point. My D23 used to be a theater kid, so I read up on that school back in the day - it looks great!

We are in the same place-she committed, has to do the placement tests, weā€™re trying to figure out which orientation to attend. Iā€™m hoping that I didnā€™t give her sheets from camp to the Goodwill, because they would work for college/sheā€™s supposed to bring bedding to orientation because they do an overnight.

2 Likes

S23 did a room and food contract yesterday. He needs to find a roommate. I am looking at the roommate finders and he wants nothing to do with it.
I also hung up his high school graduation gown. Itā€™s coming up fast!

3 Likes

D23 still looking for a roommate. And we flubbered ordering her cap and gown. She can pay (more) cash the day before graduation. To be specific, I was away when the email came and asked DH to order. But to be realistic, he has been dealing with a sick parent for the last few months and I know/knew it wasnā€™t likely that it had been done. But then the website was impossible to figure out out and I forgot. The Holdernesses have a new video about how May is like December without Christmas. Just as stressful as the holidays, too many things to juggle. I am just sitting here making lists of what I need to do. Which I guess I should have done in Januaryā€¦

2 Likes

We are so far behind on stuff too. Youā€™re not alone. Still 3.5 weeks until graduation for us but so much to do.

As for the roommate situation, they donā€™t have to find one. S23 is going to pick his room and let the universe decide on the roommate.

1 Like

S23 finished placement tests this weekend. I hope that he did well enough to not need remedial classes ($$$ and time). But it will be what it will be. He seemed to do the math one fast, which scares me but I am happy he got it done. He should do a virtual academic advising appointment next week to choose classes and then go to Orientation on June 6. Graduation is June 4. I got him two ties from Goodwill to choose from and will get him a white shirt soon to wear for high school graduation. We donā€™t have time for a party but I need to make a restaurant reservation for the afternoon after graduation and are probably doing Japanese. Yay. Itā€™s getting closer!

4 Likes

I ended up paying a lot for rush tailoring for my juniorā€™s prom suit sleeves. We got the suit at Macyā€™s on sale and it was a better deal than tux rental and he has a nice suit now. It can be an expensive time of year! My junior said that prom was not worth the $75 ticket price and wants to have a party at our house next year. Iā€™m down with it.

I totally need to watch the Holderness video.

I am pretty sure D23 will need the remedial classes. She doesnā€™t test well at all.

I have to remind S23 (again) to read his emails and check for this academic advising appointment invitation, as well as make sure heā€™s finishing some to-dos for the summer camp job (t-shirt order and a photo for social media).
Graduation is on June 4, huzzah!

2 Likes

High School graduation was great. I didnā€™t expect to feel so happy, but it made me very happy. S23 went to orientation at Stevens Point and it was good. He looks comfortable walking around the place. We were able to ask remaining questions and now I have a pretty clear picture of what comes next.

The college gave a little talk to parents about transitions (aka not being a helicopter parent, they said it a lot more nicely than that) and offered to deliver letters to kids after their first 5 weeks of school. Then while we were writing they played a sentimental song about growing up. Cue the tears. They had a little goody bag for parents that had a mini tissues in itā€¦ awww.

5 Likes