Parents of the HS Class of 2023 3.0-3.4

D23 has a tutor for algebra 2 who said she will work in some SAT tutoring to their sessions going forward. Happy about that. I wouldn’t mind signing her up for a prep class, but I think it’s better for her to work with someone who knows her specific weaknesses. Also, D23 is dyslexic. She had to write a personal statement for her English class and she wrote about falling in love with books during the pandemic. How something on the page just clicked for her and she never felt lonely or bored all those months because of the books she was reading. I work in book publishing, and books are such a big part of my life…having to back off on reading and accept that my child might not be a reader, back when she was in elementary school was really hard. I boxed up all of the books that I had wanted to share and put them away, it was just too much pressure. So the essay really moved me to tears. She’s really a very good writer.

11 Likes

All very good suggestions. We have set up a meeting with the teacher in Jan. My son is adamant in not wanting to drop the class. So, we might be looking for some help in the form of a tutor. Our initial goal was to have him just take Calc AB and then Calc BC as a senior. But it is only taught as a year long AB/BC. I looked into the AP exam. It seems that kids get two subscores – one each for AB and BC. Anyway here in NC, if you get a 2 on the AP test then you pass out of the prerequisites for college calculus at state schools. Some colleges (not NCSU/UNC-CH) will also waive prerequisites based on SAT score.

Speaking of SAT scores, DS got a 1320. In line with his PSAT. He was hoping for 1350+ so we are looking at a retake. Our school has all juniors take the ACT in March about a week before SAT. Trying to decide if we should do that or wait until fall. On one hand, he just took PSAT and SAT plus will take the ACT. So, should be a well-oiled machine. On the other hand, might be a bit too much.

2 Likes

My D is concerned about missing work. Willamette has a student day I would like her to attend. We may try to go there, Portland, Lewis and Clark plus some others another weekend if needed.

An interesting website I was told about is jeffselingo.com. Interesting for those chasing merit or looking for financial aid. It groups colleges into buyers and sellers.

2 Likes

Update on my DS23. We had his IEP meeting today. He was recommended for an AP Statistics class next year, which is a happy surprise. He has struggled w/math. Maybe this type of math is a fit for him?
Our regular counselor was not available so I chatted with one who could make the meeting and she suggested UW-Whitewater, UW-Parkside and Carthage college, which are all closer to our home in the Milwaukee area. She seemed to think that with a 3.0ish and a 20ish on the ACT he will be OK getting into most of the public schools, not Madison or La-Crosse. Parkside in Kenosha is said to have a strong science department. It is one of the lowest ranked colleges in Wisconsin though. Low graduation rate. It’s small. But it’s something to check out. I am starting to also think St. Norbert? But that is probably expensive. But it is small and smaller town which might be good. I am just happy that he is doing OK, or good enough, or so it seems.
He will take the ACT on March 8 with time and a half as part of his accommodations.

5 Likes

I’ve heard about the huge jump in applications at Madison over the last couple of years. We initially thought it might make our D’s list, but not anymore. She’s taking the ACT this weekend, with time and a half as well. I’m absolutely dreading it, since she has a hard enough time waking up for school most days and is chronically late. She asked why I didn’t book the test for a later start time, and I’m not sure she believed me when I said that everyone has to start at 8 am!

1 Like

It’s interesting you mention St. Norbert, I may have my D23 look at it. They appear to have an excellent elementary education program, which is my D’s current interest. We live just south of the IL-WI border so it’s not very far from us.

I work with a lot of people who live in WI and whose kids have gone to Parkside and I’ve never heard anything negative about it.

2 Likes

I’m so glad you heard good things about Parkside. The guidance counselor described it almost as a hidden gem in the UW system.
I grew up in West De Pere, where St. Norbert is, in the late 80’s. I ended up choosing Carroll to have some space from my family. I have met people who adored their SNC experience and one of my co-workers really liked hiring SNC graduates.

Very best wishes on the ACT!

1 Like

Whitewater is great for business. They have some integrated business/science majors he may be interested in. Also they are good for gaming.

Carthage has a very nice campus. They have environmental science, game development, geoscience, geoinformation science.

You said St. Norberts, what about UW-Green Bay?

1 Like

To your son as well, when the time comes!

Green Bay should be on the list too. St. Norbert is probably a stretch for how much we are going to want to pay. I am more flexible on this, while my husband feels 100% that a state school is the only, best choice. And I think I meant Concordia instead of Carthage. Someone mentioned Beloit to me, I have heard about financial concerns with that school. I am not pushing my kids towards Carroll, where I went, although it would be OK if they decided they want to go there. I felt that Carroll was not great for putting kids in contact with jobs, although they certainly have a strong nursing program. I was a comms major and I certainly know people who took on a lot of debt and it hurt them. It depends on the kid and on the department. That was a long time ago and I graduated into a weak economy.

1 Like

I just learned about things like “quiet” floors and “substance-free” floors (the counselor mentioned these at Whitewater). I also have read a little bit about floor communities. I am so old-fashioned it is wild to me that some floors are co-ed, and I can’t believe that schools even have to say, substance-free. It is my expectation that my kids will be substance-free in college, on campus and I plan to strongly discourage drinking and drugs. As mom and dad, we are going to be contributing a lot and we have expectations, and of course, want to set up our 3 boys for success.

I don’t know your sons diagnoses but Marquette as the On Your Marq support program. Might be worthwhile to look into other colleges to see the support they have.

Most colleges will have substance free dorms. Underage drinking isn’t really allowed anywhere but the substance free dorms are more particular about it. (My kid has already done more experimenting than I have as an adult so that ship has sailed a bit for us. Good news is my kid found out he really does not like beer. )

I would look into financial stability of Concordia as well because some of the Concordias in other states have closed in the past few years.

I understand that money will talk loudly. Really try to focus on fit as well. If your child ends up at a state school that is not a good fit for him he could struggle and end up on a 5 year (or more) plan to graduate. This could offset the cost of a higher priced private which may be a better fit.

1 Like

My oldest does not like cities at all, so we are looking for suburban or rural-ish or something with a walkable on-campus feel. That’s how Parkside and Whitewater and Concordia were suggested. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am starting to wonder about the carbon footprint of some of these colleges, especially their marketing departments. So far, we have received mailers from Yale, Northwestern, Chicago, Dartmouth, Brandeis and a few other colleges like those mentioned. Like, really??

So, DS23 ended fall with 1C (Calc BC), 2 Bs and 1A. Solid 3.0. We had many chats with him about dropping BC and sticking to AB yearlong but he did not want that. He is stuck in class with a group that has no interest in working. First exam grade, you guessed it, another 70! But he told me yesterday that he understands the process more and it will get better moving forward. I seriously doubt that but it is in his hands now.

I asked my son what would be the most important thing he would look for in a college? His answer was quality of dorm room and whether he could get a single room. Or, commuting from home.

At this point, his top choice is NCSU as a commuter. He will be happy to attend community college for a couple of years too.

How are you all holding up?

7 Likes

S23 made some really poor decisions which resulted in a 2 day suspension from school. Nothing violent. Typical teen boy stupidity. His consequences are hitting him hard but hoping to see growth.

Senior class selection is complete. 1 core class and the rest electives. GPA holding at a 3.3/3.4.

Gap year or heading into the work force isn’t totally off the table. I have a list of about 30 colleges he could potentially get into that might be affordable. Hoping to do some walking self-tours through a few colleges this spring to get an idea of size he may be interested in.

6 Likes

My DS23 has gotten zero college mail. Maybe he didn’t check the box?
I will tell you my disappointment in him yesterday. There is an open house for activities for new kids coming into high school. The choir sang twice. He missed the first time singing, I found him sitting under the stairwell playing his ipad. Then after the second time singing, he pulls out his ipad from under his coat and starts looking at it during the applause. This is my kid who will be in a college someday. Maybe. There were not many people there, it was not a formal concert, but what an idiot. My husband also bought him a stupid new computer game with vulgar language that he is now addicted to, when he should be busting his tail to finish up his Eagle scout requirements. Did anyone ask me about this video game? No. It is a hard week with ups and downs, for sure. Will my kid even go to his classes? I told him to stay with his junior brother but junior brother went off with his friends group. Gah.

Hi all, my DS23 is having many similar challenges, I relate! But I thought I would post something hopeful, maybe? I also have a DS19. While he doesn’t have some of the tougher challenges of DS23, he also made typical teen dumb moves such as spending ALL of his summer job money on a video game. His room was always a complete mess. He got his academics a little more together sometime around sophomore or junior year, but before that, just wasn’t keeping up/turning things in/putting in the effort. Even before heading off to college (his acceptances and denials came in just as expected, and he is very happy with his choice), he packed for college I think literally the day before. First time driving on his own to said college, many hours away: Left his entire wallet at home. But (here’s the hopeful part). Once on his own, he rose the the occasion. He was the neat roommate, now that there was someone else (and friends) to see his mess. He went to classes, is doing great in school, only lost his wallet one other time :slight_smile: Had a great internship his sophomore summer and is now in study abroad (for which he packed for the day before) doing everything completely on his own just fine. I know what it is like to fear that your high schooler won’t be able to cut it out of the house. And, they do need to figure this stuff out and ramp up. But, sometimes what it really takes is just time, brain development, maturity, and (in our case) not having the safety net of mom.

16 Likes

Due to my sons 2 day suspension he has to miss half the musical (thankful he didnt have a huge part this year i guess). He also has to miss indoor track season. He also owes $1300 in fines.

S19 sounds like your kiddo. My sons issue was major social anxiety. Not going to lie and say its been an easy road but im proud of his growth thus far. Slow but steady. He just came to the realization he needs to go back on his mood stabilzer and made his own appointment!
Dont be afraid to set ipad boundaries!

2 Likes