Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

My D23 is applying to 8, Auburn, Clemson, Tennessee, UNC, UGA, UF, Elon, TCU. We have visited 5 and will visit the others if needed after acceptances come out. Top 3 right now are Auburn, Clemson and Tennessee. She is planning on studying nursing or pre-med. She plans to apply to all as soon as the Common App opens on August 1st.

Best of luck to your son!

9 Likes

Good Luck.

1 Like

Best of luck!

1 Like

Good luck!!

Have any of you with college kids requested their admission files (or rather did your kid request the file)? My Penn kid did and it was insightful. What I found interesting:

• The admissions rubric examined fit, academics, and potential campus impact (i.e. will the student deeply engage with the campus community). Academic achievement was evaluated within the context of school and community. The foregoing criteria matches the advice often given here about finding the best fit, context mattering, and academics alone not being enough for an acceptance;

• Weighted GPA was used and recalculated based on core classes. Academic Index (AI) was also calculated, which was surprising because I thought AI was only calculated for recruited athletes;

• The counselor notation only referred to whether progression changed over the years, not whether my child was pursuing the most rigorous course load. Perhaps rigor was discussed in the counselorā€™s LOR which wasnā€™t in the file;

• There are no notes anywhere in the file. My thought is those are strictly confidential and for committeeā€™s eyes only. The interviewerā€™s report was also not part of the file.

I know there are many in this thread whose kids are not applying to selective/rejective colleges. Still, this information gives some insight into the admissions process even if it is just one data point.

13 Likes

My son has a list of about 10-15 colleges that he is thinking of applying.
Is there a way/tracker to find out when does each of the colleges open their admission/essay requirements?
Currently we are checking each of the college websites randomly every few days to check for updates but it is manual and time consuming.

1 Like

Hello, thanks for sharing. Which university/major was this for?

Thanks

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been to numerous info sessions and this is ALWAYS mentioned. I think applicants tend to dismiss it because they are focusing on what they did in HS. Adding a sentence or two to tell the AO that you plan on continuing a certain activity in college can go a long way.

8 Likes

Does your school use a system like naviance or scoir?

Most schools use the Common app. You can create your account before ā€œit opensā€ and get a head start. Everything carries over. The school specific essay prompts are embedded and they rarely change year to year - so you could get the majority done now

4 Likes

It was for Penn. I edited my post to reflect the college.

3 Likes

Interesting. Iā€™ve read about some students getting their admission file from public schools using Freedom of Information Act filings. I didnā€™t know some private schools did it too ā€“ presumably they donā€™t have to.

Stanford also allows admitted students to see their application.

As does Michigan (allow you to see your admissions file, one enrolled and attending classes).

Is there a list of schools that allow this somewhere? Or an easy way to find out school-specifically?

1 Like

My kid drives me nuts and totally knows how to push boundaries.

But wow, he nailed it tonight. He was hilarious! Proud mom moment.

The tide of parenting.

20 Likes

As a side note, I was a little confused yesterday as my S23 told me heā€™s about done with his common app essay as well as one of the supplements for ND. He was happy until he realized that he was looking at last years supplement questions!!

1 Like

The Common App question wonā€™t change. The supplemental questions are unlikely too. Heā€™ll probably be fine.

2 Likes

According to this article, students can request their own educational records under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

1 Like

Thatā€™s great! Glad opening night was a success :slight_smile:

2 Likes