Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

This is a URM or first gen kid going into engineering - there is a boost there for CMU and other schools.

1 Like

Given the interactions she has had with CMU definitely a match.

1 Like

I’m not even sure that’d be the case at MIT. Caltech has been explicit that it doesn’t do donor preferences. MIT has been less explicit but my guess is that its policy is similar, if not identical.

She had three 3s in science APs. It shows a pattern to the schools, if submitted.

Since she’s doing AI4ALL, I assume she’s interested in CS. CMU SCS is highly unlikely to be a match.

6 Likes

LOL re big donors not getting a preference at every school. Do you believe everything the schools tell you?

Remember how they took all that money from Jeffrey Epstein and then covered it up?

I do agree the poster needs to be skeptical as well about reassuring sounds made by colleges - they want more applicants whatever your chance of admission.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t think so, though CS is more restrictive compared to ECE, and I base this assertion on our experience with an older sibling who had slightly lower statistics for MCS.

As I said, MIT, unlike Caltech, hasn’t been explicit on that front. The Epstein episode obviously was a black mark, but no one has even alleged that the donations had anything to do with admissions at MIT. Epstein probably didn’t care, and wouldn’t even know, if he had fathered any children. He clearly had different reasons for his donations.

Yes I just meant don’t always believe what they tell you. Serious money will always buy your way in. Only amounts vary by the school.

2 Likes

It may be wise to be skeptical sometimes, but in the case of Caltech, it stated in no uncertain terms on its website for new applicants that it doesn’t offer preferential treatment to any donor:

https://www.admissions.caltech.edu/apply/first-year-freshman-applicants/application-requirements

If people only want to apply to T20s and other schools with low admission rates let them.
It has zero effect on me.
Lots of kids cry over rejections.

If parents dont encourage apps to a true safety then the kids tears are the parents fault.

6 Likes

My S23 is applying to 6, first generation, UF, UM, UCF, Cornell, Purdue and UNC.
We visit 4 of them, going back to UM on 8/1. He loves UF my wife likes UM only 26 miles from our house.

5 Likes

Sorry what is UM? UMass?

1 Like

University of Miami.

2 Likes

What is he interested in studying? UNC-CH doesn’t give much aid to OOS students.

1 Like

He wants Computer Science, we got Florida Prepaid and Bright futures.

2 Likes

S21 just finished his first yr at UCF Honors and is absolutely loving it. Accepted to UF and Miami and UCF was the least expensive and his top choice. So far it has been a great experience.

5 Likes

UNC Chapel Hill meets need now, but I am not sure if it is like UVA where they only meet need for In-state students.

They’ve met need for a while but they include loans with the package that meets your ‘needs’. Plus your basically going to get your FAFSA EFC. My D17 was given a $2K grant and the rest loans to meet her needs.

1 Like

I believe UNC Chapel Hill and UVA are the only public universities that claim to be need blind and meet “full” need (based on their own definitions, of course) for OOS students (UMich is conditional for those below certain income threshold).

UVa does meet full need for OOS, but their definition of “need” is conservative and the packages do include loans. With a FAFSA EFC of 35k, our out-of-pocket cost for D22 at UVa would have been 39k, and that’s in addition to 13k of work/study and loans included in the aid package.

2 Likes

Opening night tonight for my son’s musical. Break a leg kiddo!

19 Likes