Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

I’m not sure about the details, as we aren’t super close to these families, this is just what I heard from the parents.

1 Like

I was curious because most of the UCs went online the 3 - 4 weeks of winter quarter in January, 2022. I am wondering that impacted any enrollment decisions in May.

That’s an interesting thought… possible!

My kids and their friends (bay area) frequently worry that there is going to be another big wave. Our HS was in person all last year, but they still worry, and I hear things like, “Mom, lots of kids at school aren’t masking, I’m worried there will be a big outbreak and we will have to go online again.” They are eager to get the new bivalent booster ASAP.

4 Likes

What @TS0104 said about housing, and I’ll also mention scholarships—a lot of places, the good scholarships require an application by 1 December or even 1 November, and in some cases the good scholarships require a separate application that can only be started once general admission to the college has already happened. So make sure you and your kid (but especially you, this is a financial item and my position is that parents should be totally hands-on when it comes to the financial side) check on that when figuring out when to submit.

3 Likes

I’m impressed with your kids who have already submitted apps and gotten acceptances! Despite my best efforts to encourage early essay writing, mine has just barely started filling out the Common App. As expected, the fall semester is crammed packed with activities and obligations and I’m not seeing when it’s all going to get done. For certain, what will suffer is her sleep and my nerves!

4 Likes

Think this is typical - my son is not applying to any rolling admissions schools so hard to feel the pressure with the deadlines even for early apps still a few months away.

4 Likes

Some rolling admissions schools fill the majority of the class early on and only give scholarships and honors consideration for students applying early. IMO, those rolling admission apps should be the ones that go in first.

10 Likes

Yes, those were the big disruptions. I ask in part because my daughter’s GC said she saw an uptick in gap year planning among 2022 graduates and more info inquires from current seniors. Her take is that students seem less concerned about following a straight trajectory given all the change. Maybe that’s just our school and any overall impact is just a tiny ripple by now.

The questions from the schools made me think perhaps they’re trying to gauge what this class will do (how big a ripple it may be). But maybe they’ve always asked those questions.

Same here. And fall semester is a crazy rigorous schedule he’s insisted on taking on, plus EC’s and apps.

2 Likes

Yes thank you. For D23’s safeties she wouldn’t qualify for any merit aid - they don’t really offer it from what I can tell - and def not need based aid that we know of. One reason they are safeties is they have high acceptance rates and we can afford to be full pay if needed.

1 Like

I am super impressed by those of you whose children have already received acceptances. Congratulations all around! S23’s productivity dropped off once school started. Lately, his time is consumed by school work and launching new initiatives in his main extracurricular.

Thanks to this thread though, I’ve implemented weekly check-ins to discuss next steps and keep him on track with meeting required deadlines.

He is still sorting out his ED/REA options, but will apply early to Michigan and our state flagship.The pieces are slowly falling into place. Like others, he just doesn’t feel a sense of urgency because application dates are so far in the future.

4 Likes

We go for senior pics tomorrow. Fingers crossed hes open to some college discussions!

5 Likes

When we visited schools and saw what I viewed as disregard of Covid risk it was a huge negative. Most schools were fine but UWisconsin Madison - we were in a HUGE auditorium, very crowded and no one was wearing masks or suggesting people should, not even the administrators or tour guides. That was a major red flag to me, as they don’t seem like they will take care of the students’ safety and health. My son didn’t like the school for other reasons as well - let’s face it the visits made it clear he wouldn’t be going to big Midwestern state schools, but if he did like it I am not sure I could have gotten over that impression.

6 Likes

I don’t personally know any, but apparently there’s a good bit of this happening at my daughter’s school on the East Coast. GC essentially says she thinks the pandemic has opened students’ eyes to the possibility, including deferrals.

For us at least it’s less than two months! And D23 has something big going on every weekend between now and then! :flushed:

Thank you! Food for thought and will reconsider!

I completely respect this. Covid is a shockingly divisive issue.

1 Like

But for real. Nobody in our world even thinks about it anymore. For better or for worse!

That would make a bad first impression on me, too. Our visits were entirely on the East Coast and mask wearing was pretty common. We weren’t in many truly packed spaces, but when that was the case I was glad to see staff and guides (and many families) wearing masks.

4 Likes

IMO the pandemic opened many people’s eyes to education and lifelong learning and all the varied ways and methods and pathways to become educated over the course of a lifetime. In my humble option this is a good thing and long overdue.

Disclaimer: I took a Gap Year in Europe in 1990 long before it was a thing. And as a resourceful mama bear to several children have done a combo of public schools, private schools, homeschooling and “unschooling.” over the years. And more.

Currently cheering on my college football team. Go Dawgs! Bow Down!

3 Likes