Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

Just a quick note about Fordham Lincoln Center Campus. I believe the dorm that someone described earlier is just the Freshman Dorm and the dorms for upper classfolk aren’t nearly as nice. Off-campus housing in the area is just a tad expensive sarcasm.

4 Likes

That’s unusual, usually it’s the upperclassmen who get the nicer dorms. My daughter attends Loyola in New Orleans. Off-campus housing is equal to or LESS than dorming (and she gets her own room and much more space!) but I assume it’s MORE EXPENSIVE to live off-campus at Fordham (at least the LC campus)? I think they guarantee 4 years of housing which is nice in NYC but disappointing if the housing quality goes down over as students move up. Thanks for the heads-up!

My son created a new email specifically for the common app so only colleges he is interested in use it. Some junk mail sneaks through, but it’s basically only the schools on his list connecting with him, which is nice. It’s a gmail account that I have easy access to.

Hi, Need some advice of Test scores and Teacher recommendations, Do you submit the college applications and initiate recommendations from teachers and the test scores from SAT/ACT or send the scores for all the colleges of interest in one shot and apply as the deadlines approaches.

The quality of housing at Fordham LC only goes down after the first year because the freshman dorm (McKeon) is so very nice, with stunning views. The other dorm (McMahon) is perfectly nice, in my opinion, with nice enough views. McMahon also has the benefit of being apartment style, so students can drop the meal plan if they want.

1 Like

Oh ok-well that’s not too bad, especially with the bonus of apartment style living and still decent views! I believe average room and board at Fordham is listed as about $19,500. My friend’s son is at NYU and he was desperately looking for a studio apartment in that area throughout the whole summer. They could not find anything in the area for a reasonable rent. Every time they found something, someone else was chosen to rent it. Snagging decent places was so competitive his mom ended up agreeing to a studio apartment at $4000 per month! Not sure why he wasn’t trying to move in to a 2 or 3 bedroom with friends (maybe he had a bad experience squeezing everyone in to a small place?) -or if NYU housing was an option-but I was shocked at that price tag for a studio apartment!

1 Like

NYU guarantees housing for four years. With no actual campus, students are spread out all over the place in apartment buildings. I thought it was so weird, but my daughter loved everything about it.

2 Likes

Most colleges will accept self reported SAT/ACT scores as part of the application so you don’t need to send official scores until enrollment.

And most high schools use a system like Naviance that is linked with Common App through which they will upload recommendation letters and transcripts all at once. For the schools that are not on the common app you will need to request the school to submit separately.

1 Like

Thank you!

My D21 started her sophomore year at Miami. Oxford is a small quant college town. But it is kinda of in the middle of nowhere. That said Hamilton Ohio is about 20 minutes away with some cool restaurants brew pubs etc. Dayton and Cincinnati are both about 45 minutes away.

As to diversity the school has 17-18K students so there are lots of different types of people attending. And because it is a state school they get a mix of people from throughout Ohio. That said I don’t think it is as diverse as schools set in urban areas like Pitt.

If looking in Ohio Xavier is a nice school that gives pretty good merit money. Dayton is a nice school as well. In Pittsburgh Duquesne is also a nice school that gives good merit money. In the city but with its own defined campus. Those schools are of course significantly smaller with 6-8K than Miami and Cincinnati which has about 29K undergraduates.

Now I will give you what I think are the selling points of Miami. The campus is downright beautiful. Large quads and red brick buildings. The business school Farmer Business School is very highly regarded and the kids coming out of there are getting great jobs as many large companies regularly recruit there. As with most public universities they have just about every major. In fact my daughter is on her third in her third semester. Started in Nursing, switched last spring to engineering and now is a Data Science and Statistics major. Because they accept AP credits, she was able to do that and still be able to get her degree in 4 years. Finally the cost. They give a lot of merit money to OOS students especially top tier kids. My daughter has a 38K a year scholarship so I am basically paying room and board. The other great thing at Miami is the amount you pay for tuition and room and board remains the same all four years you attend. So it is much easier to budget as you know exactly what those costs will be.

Another school similar to Miami in size is University of Delaware. Again beautiful campus. Public university with all the majors. They also give a great deal of merit money to OOS students. Both of my girls got very good merit offers there. The thing that might appeal to you son is the proximity to Philly, DC and Baltimore. Short distance to each by train or car. I am a big fan of UDel. If looking for a midsize public university with good merit money.

6 Likes

I think the issue at Miami on their website they said something like “3.8 and 1450 and higher merit range is 22-36K”. However very few kids in those ranges were offered the highest amount. Again I could be wrong on the exact numbers was it was a range of stats and a range of merit that went with those stats

5 Likes

Thank you so much for that detailed post with info on Miami, Xavier and other schools we hadn’t even thought of and now will research. Your perspective is great because it’s always helpful to hear about the pros and cons from someone with inside insight. I do see many positives of Miami U, including research opportunities, the potential for merit, solid programs, gorgeous campus and they even offer club gymnastics. Wish it were in more of a city area (although many students prefer this small town feel) because I think my son would be more open to it. I think they were featured on the show The College Tour so maybe I’ll have him watch it and tell him to keep an open mind. Sounds like your daughter is thriving there and found a perfect college home. Thanks again for all this info!

1 Like

My daughter is shooting for all EA applications. Looks like her list will be: Univ of Washington, Univ of Pacific, Pacific College in OR, Willamette, Univ of Portland, Portland St, Oregon St, Seattle U, Whittier, Laverne, Western WA, Santa Clara and Gonzaga.
Waiting for her to finish taking the SAT now. Three weeks ago we drove 1 1/2 hrs plus only to find they were delaying the test. No e mail nor other notification (albeit e mail to my daughter might have went to junk).
I was speaking with another parent just now who said he just got an e mail a couple hours before the test time and they stayed in a hotel as they live slightly further away.

3 Likes

There are far too many stories like this. So frustrating. Luckily, we did not experience any cancellations. My son took the SAT in December of junior year and again in June of junior year. He actually went down a little on each section in June, so he decided to keep the 1450 (700 RDG & 750 MATH.) He feels it is a good reflection of his ability, so I’m glad to say we are DONE. Good luck!

My nerdy S23 would love a quant college town. But somehow I suspect that’s not what you meant :wink:

6 Likes

Ha……

Ha! :laughing:

Now Princeton is a quant college town :grinning:

4 Likes

Those are all very different schools! Does she have a preference at the moment?

She wants to go to University of Washington but I personally think she needs a smaller school. She needs some support.

3 Likes

My son is also applying to UWashington Seattle. He really loved his visit there. It should be a safety for him and he is applying ED elsewhere but would be very happy to end up there! It is far from us though, as we are in New England.