Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

You can add where you took a course and when, but not the grade, as far as we can tell.

I guess she can avoid it all together and just not report a GPA - it says it is optional, and if the colleges re-calculate everything anyway (and are receiving the multiple transcripts) why should she bother? Does everyone report a GPA on the CA?

Hereā€™s what their support says: https://appsupport.commonapp.org/applicantsupport/s/article/How-do-I-report-a-college-course-I-took-during-high-school-in-Courses-Grades

I find this confusing, where would you enter the grades for dual enrollment classes that do hit the high school transcript?

1 Like

My daughter applied there as well. No portal email either, but did get an email that they got her SAT scores. :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Did they mention EA acceptance rates at Northeastern?

Sorry does this mean they accept 51% of the ED applicants? Or that 51% of the class is filled with ED applicants?

Acceptance #2: University of North Texas.

The acceptance notice arrived via postal mail Monday (yesterday). When D23 had checked their admissions portal the end of last week it still showed as pending with one of her transcripts not yet received (from the high school she went to in grades 9/10, same school district as her current one and therefore on the same transcript), and so she figured she might need to email them to correct their apparent error.

But then the letter arrived yesterday, and upon checking the admissions portal the transcript still shows as needed but the application status is admitted. (Which means that they almost certainly, given the time it takes for mail to move between Texas and Alaska, sent the letter before updating the portal, which is an unimportant detail but one that I find interesting.)

Anyway: If D23 gets merit aid from UNT (which she should be a strong candidate for) their packages for OOS students are quite generous, and she likes the curriculum of the program she applied for, so this one is a serious contender.

21 Likes

Go Mean Green!!!

I live literally 15 minutes from UNT, message me if yā€™all need any help or extra info!!!

4 Likes

Sidebar. So in the midst of trying to deal with helping my senior with college admissions, the gyn says a total hysterectomy with ovary removal is my only real option. Iā€™ve struggled with endometriosis for decades (had surgery for his once). I ended up in the hospital this summer with probable appendicitis that they couldnt get a great visual of because of my 16 week pregnant sized uterus filled with fibroids. I donā€™t have time for this!

Iā€™m really sorry you are going through this. If Iā€™m remembering correctly you have had a rough few years. I hope everything turns out alright.

My mother was diagnosed with cancer a couple of weeks ago so I have been going to all her appointments. She has surgery next week. It seems to be treatable and for that I am thankful. But our home life has been destabilized. And D23 and my mom are very close and often spend time together.

The timing for this is hard. Thereā€™s the recovery to get through. But I also feel for our kids when they have to deal with worry for their parents or grandparents at a time when there are a lot of insecurities about their own futures.

Facing this now, I just wish mine would load up her essay and hit submit on an affordable school or two with a high admission rate.

5 Likes

@MACmiracle Sorry about your moms diagnosis!! My father in lawā€™s confusion has been becoming a safety issue and with the new diagnosis of heart failure he has been in and out of the hospital. My husband has been attending all the doc appts and setting up home care. Im trying to support them too. It really is a stressful time being caught in the middle of kids and aging parents!

4 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry :pensive:

I also struggled with debilitating Stage 4 endometriosis for years. After multiple miscarriages and 2 rounds of IVF, I had a complete hysterectomy when the twins turned 1.

The timing is terrible for you right now, but it will improve your quality of life immensely.

hugs

4 Likes

Sorry to hear. I had it done last year and was totally fine to move around in a week. Started feeling a lot better at 2 weeks mark. It was a welcome change after dealing with fibroids.
Hope you get some relief soon.

1 Like

Sorry about your endometiosis, @2plustrio - and to others dealing with aging parents. Weā€™re also in the middle of a similar crisis - my dad, with terminal cancer, is moving in with us in 10 days.
Those who havenā€™t found it yet - thereā€™s a parents caring for parents caregiving thread on CC and itā€™s been hugely helpful to me.

2 Likes

Any idea what is COLA Undeclared?

Pretty sure itā€™s College of Liberal Arts with an undeclared major. Looking for anything specific?

This is mainly for CA folks or kids applying to CA schools (UC/CSU) for Computer Science/Computer Engineering/Data Science.

I tried to search but couldnā€™t find correct results. My question is: What would be the best course/strategy to apply for in CS/CE/DS fields (In terms of acceptance). I know it would be next to impossible to change majors once you are accepted.

Cal Poly SLO, which is my kids dream college has CS/CE and DS. It also has Software Engineering.

I think youā€™ll find a lot of threads or discussion on Reddit about this topic, if youā€™re interested. It seems to come up a lot and you get posters chiming in about CS and SE at least.

Hereā€™s one such discussion:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CalPoly/comments/tbtb02/software_engineering_vs_cs/

Hereā€™s one comment from a Senior SLO CS major:

2 Likes

Our DSā€™18 went to BC and absolutely LOVED it!

1 Like

Below is specific information for Cal Poly SLO:
According to the SLO Catalog, Data Science is a minor not major. The courses are housed the College of Science and Mathematics.

https://catalog.calpoly.edu/collegesandprograms/collegeofsciencemathematics/statistics/crossdisciplinarystudiesminordatascience/

Changing majors within a College such as the College of Engineering is easier than Changing majors between Colleges.

Of the 3 majors in the College of Engineering, Computer Engineering has the highest projected acceptance rate at around 20% vs. 9% for CS and 11% for SE.

If your student is fine with pursing CE, then I would apply to this major for possibly better chances.

Please note that Software Engineering is not accepting any change of majors at the moment which could also happen to other majors like CS in the future.

If you check the curriculum for all these majors except DS, there are several course overlaps between the majors.

For other CSU/UCā€™s, you need to first determine where the Data Science program is housed. Many schools have the DS major under the Mathematics/Statistics department so not really an ā€œengineeringā€ based major.

CC wisdom for the CSUā€™s and UCā€™s is that a student should apply to their first choice major preferably in the College of Engineering. Much easier to switch out of an Engineering major vs. switching into.

1 Like