Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

is it possible for UT to reject you from first and second choice and admit you to COA undeclared? Read something to that effect?

Thank you for your insight and knowledge. This is exactly what I was looking for, which would be a good engineering course in terms of acceptance to SLO (looks like its CE). I read somewhere here that SE has very few seats compared to CS areas.

Can you pl. point me to some threads for UCs also (for admission strategies).

One more question: My kid is ELC and I am asking him to apply to Merced for CS and I am hoping that he will be accepted. Am I correct in my assumption?

As an ELC eligible student applying to a competitive major, it is a good strategy to apply to UC Merced since many competitive/popular majors will be filled by regular applicants and referrals may not have the same major options. Applying to UCM is not a 100% guarantee but it is a Very Likely school.

I will PM you the UC information that I have regarding admit rates for specific majors if available. I do not want to monopolize this discussion thread with CSU/UC questions.

Sorry, I donā€™t know specifics about UT but hopefully someone else can help!

Yes. If you are auto-admit for UT, you are only guaranteed COLA undeclared. You are not guaranteed your first or second choice major. This does happen to a lot of auto-admits.

3 Likes

Well, best laid plansā€¦. Supposed to visit the college my D is pretty sure she wants to ED1 to but Hurricane Ian had other plans. So told her to finish up college apps because school is shut down the remainder of the week and may as well check that off her list. For some reason Common App was down all day. I call uncle. Time to get a glass of wine and wait for the storm to arrive. Hope all of our FL parents are safe.

5 Likes

D23 got her first acceptance into her safety. Submitted her EA application to GA Tech and will/attended fly-ins into UPenn, MIT and Columbia.

Currently applying for scholarshipsā€¦

20 Likes

October 1st! I feel like we need to really get it in gear now. Early action schools are due November 1st and Iā€™d like my son to submit UC and CSU apps by then as well. Itā€™s going to be a busy monthā€¦

5 Likes

My son hasnā€™t submitted any applications yet (Nov 1 deadlines are rushing at us!) but we did fill out the FAFSA today. We havenā€™t hit submit on it yet though.

4 Likes

Just finished the FAFSA! Just need to delete then add two schools but the site keeps crashing.

2 Likes

Year 5 of FAFSA for me. I always wait at least a week for the kinks to be ironed out.

7 Likes

Just filled out FAFSA. So easy. The hardest part was that for some reason the password or ID for my studentā€™s account did not work, neither did forgot password. So I created a new one. They only let you create one per SS# so I am thinking I must have mis-typed the number the first time I created it? :grimacing:. Hopefully the mis-typed number doesnā€™t belong to someone needing to create an account!

No kinks at all and the site wasnā€™t slow, didnā€™t crash or anything

oh my gosh. i was just reading on fb the paying for college group posts. itā€™s NUTS with fafsa questions. tons of questions and hundreds of answers in the last day. it just sucks me in!!! Iā€™m with gatormom; going on our 9th yr of college so weā€™ve filled out a few fafsa forms.

In some ways iā€™m kicking myself ā€“ two of our kids didnt take out loans; instead we dipped into roth iras and really scrimped; if two of them had taken out a few loans theyā€™d both have 10K forgiveness. hmmmmmm. then iā€™d have 20k+ in my ira going forward if we had known about loan forgiveness. anyone else just shaking their heads over this??

(it reminds me of going out for dinner with a large group and the bill is split between all; and i order chicken and others order prime rib! maybe weā€™ll take out loans in the future just to see what happens?!)

4 Likes

I completed most of the FAFSA yesterday and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was! Maybe thatā€™s because I donā€™t have much money/assets. Lol! The IRS data retrieval tool worked for me but not for my son. Not sure why but he only worked at a summer job so it was easy to input his information.

Iā€™m about to start the CSS profile. Does it also have an IRS data retrieval tool?

1 Like

Sadly, no. Itā€™s also typically more complex than the FAFSA.

1 Like

I spoke to the Financial Aid Director at one of the colleges my son is applying to. In passing, he mentioned that the best way to fill out the CSS profile is to get the student aid report from FAFSA, and just copy in directly much of the information. There will be a few extra things you need for the CSS, but he said it is important that they match, exactly, and the easiest way to do that is to use the SAR you get from FAFSA

7 Likes

Thank you for sharing this!!!

We filled out fasfsa once for our oldest kid, figured out we didnā€™t qualify for aid, then never bothered again. I still low key worry not having fafsa could impact merit aidā€¦ but Iā€™ve read conflicting info on that.

1 Like

We didnā€™t fill it out for our oldest, since we donā€™t qualify for any aid and planned on being full pay. His college isnā€™t known for giving much in merit aid. Our second kid is applying for colleges now and I wonder if we should fill it out, even though we still wonā€™t qualify for anything. There is always that little ā€œwhat if?ā€.

1 Like