Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

We’ve done the same thing, the 529 balance is theirs to keep if they undershoot budget. For S18 he chose the cheapest place but it was also his favorite. He does have some money left as a result of winning various scholarships during college, which he’ll keep in case he does a graduate degree. D18 got a full ride, although happily it was also the best ballet school she got into. She didn’t think about it as much originally but now after graduation is very happy the money is there to help cover her costs for the next few years as a ballet trainee. I expect it to be somewhat influential in S23’s choice, although most of the cheapest schools on his list (in state publics) are also likely to be the hardest to get into.

2 Likes

Private colleges are actually businesses and are run that way for all intent and purposes, their “not for profit” status notwithstanding.

They have a marketing department, and appoint leaders responsible for meeting enrollment targets, revenue targets, etc.

Two reasons, IMO:

• they can reach students that are highly desirable to them (those who meet certain characteristics) who might otherwise not consider applying.
  • to increase the number of applications they receive, which helps keep their acceptance rate super low. In the past acceptance rate was a factor in USNWR rankings. It isn’t anymore but the low acceptance rate helps maintain their image of exclusivity and selectivity.
3 Likes

I feel for you! I’m all about a good bargain or at least being able to compare offers in the final stretch. Did your son get some merit from Pitt or they don’t release that yet? I would definitely tell him you are happy to support him at Pitt, but you want him to follow-up on ALL applications so he can get a true picture of offers and compare them before a final decision “for peace of mind.” Let him know that students do change their minds at different parts in the process and you are simply asking him to keep an open mind and put full effort into all applications so he can be 100% firm in his final decision. Definitely offer an incentive if you can.

My son is definitely all about Northeastern (and we are considering ED, something I never thought we would do as I am a bargain shopper as I said, although ED 2 so we could at least have some offers on the table and could withdraw ahead of acceptance time if needed.) But my gut tells me EA is the best way to go, even though it is taking a risk at a school like NU, because he has so many great options and he has told me he would be happy at ANY of the them. And I do think a few will come in way under our budget, not to mention some with the potential for full tuition or even a full ride. Really don’t want to have any “what if?” moments for such an important decision!

The only way we do ED for Northeastern is if they come close to our EFC (they offer a complimentary financial pre-read that should be coming soon) because the Northeastern Promise would guarantee that price tag for 4 years and would fit nicely in our budget. Do I think that will happen? No, because the NPC is coming out much higher than our EFC (even though they are a meets-need school) so either I’m doing something wrong on the NPC or they calculate out need much differently on the CSS profile, which is very possible. They can’t offer a scholarship estimate yet but I think it’s irrelevant because a scholarship there just decreases the “need” so the number they give us should be very close to reality and bottom line, with or without a scholarship.

But definitely push the idea of follow-through with applications. My son is so close to finishing up applications but he’s had a busy few weeks and was sick so he’s trying to find some inspiration for the extra questions on the common app. and tends to be a perfectionist which doesn’t help. I think he’s ok on timing, so trying to be supportive while trying not to get too nervous on the inside. Good luck!

3 Likes

Ive seen LoyNo pop up on several application lists. Ive always wondered about the party scene in NO and if undergrads can handle it (particularly those that are easily distracted). Tulane had the reputation for a part school for the longest time (and in some lists it still shows up), but it seems that they have rebounded perception wise in the academic rankings.

2 Likes

As has been mentioned numerous other times, people at any school in the country and be into partying. But Loyola New Orleans does not have anywhere near the same level of partying as Tulane, at least based upon what locals see of the two groups of students. Some of that partying is very much evident in Tulane’s Greek system.

4 Likes

@AmyIzzy @CRHeel94 and @AustenNut - thank you!
I think we had a good talk today about follow-through. I agreed to let him lapse the USC and FSU apps, vis a vis honors, as we both think they’re not high on his list to start with. And he agreed to do honors apps for LoyNo and UNM.
So great compromise. He’s also, with little prodding on my part, completed a handful of outside scholly apps’ essays, for which I’m truly grateful. They wouldn’t help him at a CWRU (which practices displacement) but would be hugely helpful for Pitt etc.

Amy - I didn’t know Northeastern did a financial pre-read! There’s a thread compiling those schools on CC somewhere; you might wanna add your data point to it; ty! And yes, from everything I’ve read, CSS is usually much harsher in terms of counting your silverware against you :slight_smile:

As for partying, the kid will find a way to parties no matter where he goes. If he’s mature enough to handle it - the school won’t be the deciding factor on that one.

Tulane - eh - not sure it’s worth the extra freight compared with LoyNo. Sure, it’s higher-ranked, but apart from a number, I’ve not seen anything making me go “he’s gotta apply there!”

4 Likes

schools make millions on application fees alone 50,000 applications at $50 a pop = 2.5 million

1 Like

Which I’m sure helps cover the cost of the admissions dept. employee salaries, app readers, mailers, IT, utilities, building and maintenance costs, etc.

2 Likes

Visited New Orleans when my older D looked at colleges. Loyola of New Orleans is definitely more laid back. Tulane seems a bit cutthroat and dorms seemed pretty terrible (they wouldn’t let us go inside). Tulane has major sports and a gigantic campus but liked the small nurturing environment at Loyola of NO. My D didn’t apply to either one. Anyways, just thought I would give you my impression.

6 Likes

I have a good professional friend who got her undergrad degree from Tulane (and centers most of her research now in New Orleans and the bayou parishes) and she backs this up, having told me that Tulane and Loyno students interact a lot, but the Loyno students were generally, in her experience, both more artsy and much more laid-back than the Tulane students.

5 Likes

and @JBSeattle - thanks for your impressions!
My kid can be “academic” and loves to argue in seminar-style classes, but he’s also a theater kid and choir singer, so he’s a bit of both.
I honestly think the city will woo him and that’ll be the end of Cleveland, haha
but we’ll see!

1 Like

As a parent of a senior D at Tulane, the city of New Orleans has been a big positive for all of us. It’s not a typical college town but the experiences there are phenomenal: art, culture, music (Jazz Fest anyone?), movies/tv filmed there, food, etc. It’s been an adventure for sure!

6 Likes

Yep. The Ivies (mainly Harvard, Cornell, and Dartmouth) spammed my S22 big time but he was very clear about not contributing to their admit rate denominator and application revenue.

6 Likes

And as a parent of a junior at Loyola (studying popular and commercial music/music industry) I echo those sentiments. Yes, there is crime and students need to be very aware of surroundings and should stick to groups (one classmate was recently carjacked while stopping for gas! Luckily, the car was recovered and culprit was caught.) But it’s a beautiful, artsy, culturally rich place to be with so much to love including the jazz history and incredible diversity. My daughter absolutely loves it! She hangs out with many Tulane friends but describes them as a bit more stressed and hard on themselves than the Loyola students who are more artsy and carefree. But, as with any school, there is a mix and some kids prefer a more competitive environment so depends on your kid. Both schools are great in their own ways. The Loyola Honors program might be perfect for your son @Gatormama. My daughter did an accepted student overnight around decision time in 2019 and fell in love with the school and city immediately, so you can’t say I didn’t warn you! I will say that housing is not very luxurious and there are many complaints on the parent page in terms of cleanliness, but some of the dorm options are better than others and you just need to do some research. My daughter was approved to move off campus after one semester (a friend had an extra room available near campus so she jumped at the chance and was approved due to the increase in enrollment the year she started which led to limited space in the dorms.)
They are supposed to do 2 years on campus but they aren’t strict about it.

5 Likes

<< there are many complaints on the parent page in terms of cleanliness>>

bwah hah hah - I really should post a photo of my son’s room rn.

We had to move beds around to accommodate my dad, who just moved in with us. My son’s bed had to change rooms. We could not do this without removing the stuff covering every inch of his floor. And we had a tight deadline.

So there is now a 5-foot-by-5-foot pile of debris - clothes, books, electronics, shoes, random junk, Legos, light sabers - in one quarter of his room, and a clean floor in the rest of the space.

The sight is so arresting when you walk in.

5 Likes

This sounds like a perfect start to a supplemental essay…and the same situation in our household. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Haha-he’ll fit right in! My daughter was the same way with her room at home. Was tough to navigate if I needed something in there! To be clear, not sure the students complain much, you just see it on the parent page, mainly at move-in time asking if anyone really cleaned the rooms over the summer. So definitely bring your own cleaning supplies! Her preference to the apartment living was having her own room (her roommate often had 3-5 friends over-in the small dorm room-watching Netflix all night when my daughter had early classes and just wanted to sleep.) But one of her friends had a triple freshman year and he did just fine. Depends on the kid I guess. I think some kids and parents expect luxury living and most college housing is pretty basic.

1 Like

On the subject of mailers, my D23 just received one yesterday from Missouri Science and Tech that offered a free application (based on merit not need). It’s nice to receive one that implies a real interest in your child and not solely generic. I wasn’t sure any still existed.

1 Like

Yes - but oddly enough, in her off-campus apartment, she was very actively cleaning the bathroom, the kitchen,… and was the one being frustrated by messy suitemates.

Apparently living at “the parents’” home implies built-in cleaning service, while at least some kids do suddenly take ownership once it’s “their own place”…

True. And I should mention that my daughter has had a big turn-around in the past few years. Independent living does help them evolve and mature even in areas of neatness. She took a one year leave of absence from college last year (had some music opportunities in Atlanta and worked as a nanny and house manager in which she had to cook, clean & run errands, in addition to watching children) so she learned ALOT about organization & balance. She now looks forward to her weekly cleanings at her apartment. Go figure!