Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

@jmjmm - I find that annoying too! Whats the point? You are already indicating it’s your first choice by applying ED1. So now after your kids were sweating essays, the wording on their EC list, how to craft a resume they now have to think about writing a creating, witty introduction that won’t annoy the AO.

1 Like

If you browse past year forums, some have suggested it’s helpful to write such letters to Northeastern AOs.

1 Like

Thanks! I thought the same thing. Was listening to a few admissions podcasts recently where actual AOs were saying they are understaffed and overworked and really dislike when high school counselors give advice like “fill every space” and “use the additional info section to expand on ECs” …

1 Like

Thanks! Maybe it is school-specific…

Senioritis is not a thing - people should avoid enabling this.

BUT, not taken AP exams has nothing to do with “Senioritis”. The student already took the class and put the work in. So as far as “rigorous” schedule, nothing changes by not sitting for the AP test.

What counts are final grades in that class - the AP class typically are used only for “credits”.

1 Like

Disagree - I fully support senioritis- after working so hard for years and then doing the insane college admissions stuff on top of that in the fall they more than deserve to take it easy senior spring semester. The school generally understands and waives lots of stuff like exams for graduating seniors.

5 Likes

Good to know that AOs or an AO found big scholarships to be very rare. These articles about people who found $100,000 in scholarships seem suspicious to me.

Good luck to all who are submitting applications for November 1 deadlines! We had several done yet one is still in progress.

4 Likes

It’s definitely “a thing.”

1 Like

And those AP credits can be quite useful, besides the obvious, getting out of prereqs.

My D21, who attends a CA public, got an earlier registration date/time, because as a freshman, she had Sophomore standing. As a Sophomore now, she gets an earlier registration date/time, because she now has Junior standing.

Those AP credits got her into some of the tougher to-get-into GE’s, as some of her friends had trouble.

9 Likes

Only because Sophomores and Juniors heard it mentioned from their Senior peers and are tempted to view it as a “right of passage” (and convince parents of its inevitability.)

I do fully understand (and experienced in my student) the exhaustion that came with SAT/ACT tests, then with college visits, and then with writing essays and applications. However, eventually there’s the relieve once all that had been accomplished - which means they removed themselves as a stress factor all by themselves!

Consequently, I was pretty consistent before senior year that I was not going to “subscribe” to the passed-down myth of senioritis - hence it was never attempted as an “out”. After all, there were plenty of other senior privileges, off-campus lunch privileges, college visit absences, absences to audit life classes, etc. to make that year special – without dropping the ball academically just because a very few of previous seniors had touted it as a concept.

(Trust me - I was NOT standing in kitchen, tapping a ruler on the counter :wink:. Rather I was granting many liberties that other students might not get from their parents – but on THAT subject they knew my attitude would be “Nice try - while that might work for a few of your peers, won’t work with me.”)

2 Likes

Regarding “senioritis,” in the conditional offers of admission, some grad slippage is OK or allowed. But “significant” grade slippage and that conditional offer of admission could be rescinded.

We have a long runnning thread here on CC asking the question “When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?,” which is/was being answered by Sally Rubenstone:

Hopefully, that’s the correct thread, there are plenty of individual threads of students asking about their offers being rescinded over the years.

So, please be careful out there with that “senioritis” phenomenon. I told my kids, “pedal to the metal.” I’m in the camp of “big finish kick” or “finish strong.” Sometimes it’s difficult to gauge how much (or little) to “let off the gas and coast”, continuing in the race metaphor. :grinning:

5 Likes

D23 received admissions into her two safety colleges. Submitted EA applications into GA Tech and MIT. Now a Posse scholarship finalist - unlikely to progress since college choice is not top on her list.

Anyone know her generous MIT need based scholarship is? Averagely earning spouse reluctant in paying ‘more’ for college tuition.

9 Likes

*how

MIT meets full need - but “need” is based on what they determine you should be able to pay. Not, what you want to pay. Many times, there’s a gap between the two (not just at MIT but at all such meet-need schools).

In other words: they are generous but may not be as generous as you want them to be.

4 Likes

Try this out: Estimate your cost | MIT Student Financial Services

4 Likes

I ran the NPCs at a bunch of schools, including MIT (there is zero chance my kids would get into MIT, but I wanted to check it because I have heard it is more generous financially than other schools). MIT was the cheapest for my family of all the private schools I ran. I think their determination of what your need is is more generous than some other schools.

4 Likes

Congrats on GA Tech, certainly a great option for engineering. Nice to have an acceptance from what many would say is one of the top 10 engineering programs in the country!

1 Like

I logged into S23’s Temple admissions portal account to see if they had received everything and apparently he was accepted over the weekend. Based on older threads it looks like he’d hear about merit in January maybe.

12 Likes

Congrats!Does Temple have rolling admissions?

Yes, Temple states they provide admissions decision within 2-6 weeks from receipt of all documentation. Congrats on the Owls!

1 Like