Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

My D had two evaluative interviews with ad coms (back in '18). One was at Lehigh and the other at Clarkson.

1 Like

I heard from a friend who just did this that what you say is correct.

Some schools schedule evaluative interviews starting in the early fall, before application deadlines. My son had 2 interviews this September and October. He applied to one of the schools EA, and ended up choosing not to apply to the other school.

1 Like

Back from our tour of Duke University Pratt School of Engineering. :blue_heart:

8 Likes

Congratulations on a couple of great admissions. However, realize there is big difference from a private school with 5800 admitted vs a public school with over 24,000 admitted.

One of the funniest pieces of swag my D18 got when applying to law school was when she was accepted to University of Minnesota they sent her “Admittens”

10 Likes

I would love to hear your thoughts. It’s on S23’s list, though he already applied ED to a different engineering school and has an EDII lined up if that doesn’t work. We live in New England and just didn’t make it down to visit. It was too far to drive, and we already visited 10/14 schools on his list. He had the ED choice early, so I didn’t want to spend money on plane tickets and muddy the waters! (Unfortunately, Duke doesn’t offer EDII.) Everything we saw online (including virtual sessions with Pratt students) looked fabulous.

My son applied ED, we are coming from FT Lauderdale FL. The Duke campus is super beautiful, the architecture of the buildings and the nature around it. It is also great how no matter your engineering experience, they throw you into the fire immediately and they offer so many opportunities for internships and research projects. The university spends in the top 10 of all universities on research, spending over 1.1 billion dollars on it. Everyone there also looked very friendly and happy, nobody was walking with their head down and sad.

3 Likes

Your point is well-taken. Love the admittens!
But Bama, with 36,000 admitted in 2022, sent the second-best swag acceptance packet, so :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

That was our experience. Most of the test optional schools masked the test scores on the pdf even though they got them. The school’s portal usually has the correct status.

D23 is now a coca-cola scholarship semi finalist. So proud of her accomplishment :star_struck:

30 Likes

My D23 auditioned for senior district honor choir over the weekend and was selected with an all-state recommendation. She already submitted her ED and EA applications. Should she send an update with the new information?

10 Likes

I’m new to this process but I sure would.

1 Like

How do we send first quarter grades to colleges? Does the counselor send it?

If your son isn’t a high stat kid despite a 4.3 and being in the top 10% of the class, what would be considered high stats?

2 Likes

There’s a pretty large SoFla contingent at Duke.

They are pouring a ton of resources into Pratt. Quite impressive.

1 Like

We just submitted the boy’s UC app. Why is that so nerve wracking??? I was glad to see his UC ELC designation on there, so there’s that. Fingers crossed he gets into a few of his choices.

13 Likes

D23 just submitted UC app as well - whew! What a relief! Ready to celebrate no matter what - just filling it out feels like a major achievement! LOL :champagne:

9 Likes

p.s. also ELC whoo hoo!! :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Woo hoo!!! :raised_hands:t2:

1 Like

S23 just capped off his week from hell: Basketball playoffs, hosting a big MUN conference, followed immediately by the final stage of national math Olympic competition. Thought he was running on empty going into the math olympics and he had not been able to prepare for it; he went in with very tempered expectations of maybe making Honorable Mention. Much to his (and our) surprise, he was able to snag a bronze medal.
Originally he had a big interview on that same last day, but it got pushed back a few days which gave him some time to get his bearings. And now back to the application grind (UC up next).

14 Likes