Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

If you go back and read that original report, as I did a few years ago, it just confirms that given the same fairly high test scores, the three middle quintiles are absent at Ivys compared to the bottom quintile (and of course, compared to the top quintile.)

What I don’t like, and didn’t see any evidence for in the report, was their “conclusion” as referenced in the IHE article that the middle three quintiles were under-represented because they “couldn’t/wouldn’t pay” versus that they are not being admitted at the same rates as students with the same test scores from the top and bottom quintiles to begin with. I strongly suspect students from the middle-middle quintile spread don’t get admitted for their test score levels at the same rates as the top and bottom quintiles for a variety of reasons, but the researchers and articles don’t seem to explore that issue when they write about money and the Ivys. They just assume middle students “choose” not to attend for money. I really wish someone would do good research in this area of admissions decisions, but I don’t think most researchers who could get access really want to know how decisions about the middle range are being made.

Considering that the data is from pre-2017-before the huge push at those schools to focus on the bottom quintile or so- I suspect the same study might be even more extreme than six years ago about the missing middle quintiles with the same high test scores

Here is a link to the “non-technical” original research summary (the kind I need as a non-technical person!) Finding 2 in their conclusions interested me most, but most media back when this data was released focused on their other findings about the bottom 20% without talking much about Finding 2 or the charts.

7 Likes

A question for you all: I was contacted the other day for additional information by the financial aid office at a school my daughter applied to (regular decision) that’s need-blind. Since the school is need-blind, does the fact that the financial aid office is reviewing her file mean that she’s likely to be admitted? Or do the financial aid people just check for completeness on all the files of anyone who asked to be considered for financial aid? Thanks for any thoughts!

Likely the latter. But different schools have different processes.

Meet expectations in check.

1 Like

Update: D23 has decided to attend Central MI on the full ride she received. It was honestly 15 days of heck for us parents. Knowing the best decision for her situation was CMU and getting her to see the light.

I will say I got into this game 4+ years ago with D19. I had to quickly get up to speed everything related to college as D19 is our first. This group of people on here has helped us out providing information and insights. All of our situations are different as well as the goals that our kids have. Rarely is there one right answer unless the poster provides all information.

My wife and I were first gen college students that went to a T20 school. We graduated with a lot of loans. We worked to pay them off. We made the decision for my wife to stay home when the kids were little. For those reasons we didn’t have the funds for our kids to pick their school without considering cost. That was tough as we have high stats kids. D19 went after merit. She was up for plenty of full-ride or full tuition scholarships. Her and I quickly realized these were lottery type scholarships. She got close on couple of them. In the end she went to a school that was within budget and at the outset she was going to probably have to take out a small loan senior year. Well she continued to look for scholarships and grabbed some extra money via departmental scholarship that allowed her to graduate with no loans. Also senior year of HS she won $1K from Burger King.

D23 didn’t take to filling out a ton of apps at first. She was super busy and we had to sit her down to get her going on them. Her initial list was OK but I was worried if they would come in at budget. I made her add 3 schools. Eventually she got going and got the apps and scholarship apps done. She was select to be one of the 400 kids to compete for 20 full rides and 60 full tuition scholarships at CMU. Instead of an interview they had the kids write 2 in person essays about anything in US History. She of course selected 2 obscure things to write about. History is in her wheelhouse. I thought she had a shot at a full tuition not really full ride. She got it and now has made her decision. It is not the decision some people would go with but it is the best decision for her.

Based on both kids results in this crazy system I am still a person that believes in just fill out the form and you might just be surprised. It is definitely a numbers game. The more apps done the better chance you have in hitting something. Never give up.

Again thanks for everyone’s help here.

25 Likes

Oh, a parent upset their kid didn’t get in & taking it out in a very inappropriate way. I think the posts were removed; I’m avoiding the thread for a while.

2 Likes

We are on the same boat. We got an email saying “Your son’s FA package is now complete and ready for review.” I assume one of two things: 1. Either he has been admitted and they need to prepare the FA package for him. 2. Everything is ready now for a comprehensive review. I am going with #2.

I’m going to place my bet now. S23 will end up in Louisiana. Either at UL or LoyNo.

12 Likes

What’s UL? Louisiana Lafayette?

1 Like

Yep, UL is U of Louisiana Lafayet (it always flags that other school. :))

1 Like

I think the ‘worth it’ question also comes down to how mature the child is, and if they are ready to take advantage of opportunities. We know full pay kids at ivys that drank/drugged away their time, barely getting by academically. Blowing off class, much less going to office hours, using the career center, attending talks, etc. Really sad to watch such a waste of incredible opportunities, and I can’t imagine how upset I’d be if I was paying the bills.

9 Likes

Oh, I see. Thank you for letting me know. Yikes. All I saw was chatter about emails sent at the wrong time with possibly incorrect messages, so those other angry messages must be all gone.

Yep. We agree.

They’ll increase the price for those who will pay, because why not? That means more money for the bottom.

I know of a boy who attended state on a full scholarship. Stanford only would give the same boy 50% and cost more overall plus plane tickets. Maybe Stanford wants to keep more people like him.

If this is what they actually do, I’m cool with that.

And I think some will—but I don’t know which ones, and I’m pretty sure it won’t be all of them.

1 Like

For us. no. We also had to do FA verification only to get rejected or deferred. it is a separate process.

1 Like

Humility is a virtue, unfortunately many do not have the time to teah their kids and many dont set an example.
This is wrong period. You can be from Harvard but that does not guarantee success in life.
Money , power, fame alone cannot bring quality of life.
I am routing for pitts and please tell your kid to not allow the jerks take away his pride.
God bless

7 Likes

Same here man, God bless. I am Indian and both my sons are not elligible for any financial aid. This year my second son is applying. For my first we took the decision of UTD as it was least expencive. Saved on tution, books, everything. No regrets! He is now debt free. BTW he did get out of state top school like UC berkely, uC CHICAGO and UPenn. All were thousands odf dollard.more.
UTD is an amazing school.and hos professor ls.werw so helpful.

6 Likes

S23 just got a fine arts scholarship worth full tuition. Room and board is about 16k/yr.

33 Likes

Woohoo! :tada:

3 Likes

Congrats! Willing to share where?

3 Likes

Referencing back to the chatGPT tool discussion—

3 Likes