Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

We and 529s cover Tuition/Fees, R/B and books. If they want spending money they earn it through work, whether during the school year, summer, etc… They earn what they want to spend and spend what they earn. It is not my say.

2 Likes

D23 was invited to 4 scholarship interview weekends this year and 1 non-weekend (essay only) invitation

1. Opted out due to high number of kids invited and nominal change in $ even if awarded.
  2. Moderate number of finalists. Range of awards up to full COA - No $, named as alternate
  3. Small number of finalists for full COA only - awarded
  4. Will be held at end of month so still TBD - Assuming a small # of finalists and is for full COA only.
  5. Invited as a finalist to submit additional essay for full tuition - awarded

To the point of the conversations above, she basically wrote off #2 (which had been a previous top contender and where she had rec’d decent $ already) after the alternate status. #3 is now the top - in part because of the $ but also because of the program and opportunities that come with the $. If awarded, I feel like #4 will have to show more than just $ to take the lead.

The awards from #3 and #5 were ones that I considered to be her total long shots. I definitely thought she had much higher chances at some other schools that did not pan out. Lesson to us was that you DO have to apply pretty widely if you are merit seeking and it’s REALLY hard to predict what each school is looking for in their highest merit opportunities! So glad to be in the home stretch of this process!

5 Likes

Definitely 4 wheel drive. If there isn’t snow there could be lots of mud in Vermont. We are getting slammed by snow in higher terrain in Central Mass.

2 Likes

You hit the nail on the head. When merit hunting you have to cast a wide net because you can’t predict what they will give. I would add you will probably apply to some schools that you didn’t get to visit.

2 Likes

re: scholarship programs: while not fly-in as it was driving distance my kiddo lost interest in the program too when she didnt gain the scholarship. I wonder if they termed it – You Qualify For this Competition rather than You Are Invited – if that would help background expectations.

7 Likes

With SUNY Albany, my kid has kind of experienced the opposite. They gave him a pretty good merit scholarship initially, but then:

• Hey! You’re getting another small scholarship from the college of engineering
  • Hey! We’re giving you another small room and board scholarship

Both of the additional scholarships were small, but they really give the impression that the school wants my S23, which got his attention WAY more than if the original merit aid had been higher by the same amount. So kudos to Albany… well played!

In other news, Dalhousie University in Halifax just last week accepted my son into Computer Science, even though he applied to Engineering. The acceptance note said they couldn’t accept him into engineering because he was missing high school physics, which is clearly on his transcript! So :man_shrugging: It’s probably going to be too expensive compared to other options anyways, but… still kind of annoying.

4 Likes

I was SO hoping to be DONE today…

But D23 was rejected by MIT. So the process continues…

Next up will be CWRU (Saturday), then Wesleyan, Byrn Mawr, and Mt Holyoke.

The 3/2 program with CalTech is likely what she’ll want to do - Grinnell, Wesleyan, Bryn Mawr, and Mt Holyoke all participate. Of those, Wesleyan is her top choice; and they don’t release decisions until 3/25, so almost another 2 weeks…

6 Likes

I’ve been curious about 3/2 programs, as my D26 currently prefers smaller, more intimate schools, but she’s also interested in maybe pursuing engineering. My understanding is that the 3/2 programs involve a secondary admission process. (For example, here is CalTech’s description: 3/2 Program | Undergraduate Admissions) Do you have a good source for data on how many students are accepted into these 3/2 programs? Maybe the LACs have that information?

5 Likes

the LAC’s have it, so does CalTech. D23 did a “Women in Stem” day at CalTech over the summer, and asked them about it - they seemed to indicate that IF the person is qualified they get in.

From talking to the 3/2 coordinators at Grinnell and Wesleyan, they seemed to indicate there aren’t that many that actually take advantage of it - several every year start with the intent to do it, but then either change their mind or don’t get the requirements done, it seems like there is a VERY strict set of requirements to be eligible to apply. But of those that do, they talked about 2/2 one year, 2/3 one year, 0/2 another year - and some years no aplicants. So very small sample sizes, but the odds seem significantly better than getting into CalTech or MIT up front.

I think the LAC experience for 3 years and then the hard-core STEM (and all the connections to JPL that she is very interested in) could actually end up being ideal for her.

HER backup plan throughout this process has been that she’ll do the 3/2 to have an undergrad degree from CalTech, then do her PhD at MIT. Very ambitious - and her doing exactly that wouldn’t surprise me at all!

But Grinnell isn’t her first choice to do that, she really wants Wesleyan - so we’re waiting at least until 3/25.

8 Likes

Does she have a backup plan if she does not get accepted to the 3/2 program? Would the backup plan be to complete her degree at the LAC and then apply to engineering graduate school?

1 Like

What’s the value of the second bachelors? Is there an advantage in applying to PhD programs? I would think you would be better off doing a 5 year master program? Just curious on your thought process here.

4 Likes

I would think most drop the 3/2 idea bcuz you’ve established a base at your home school and now you have to leave those people a year early. And then you join a new school when everyone is already established and you know no one. You also are not getting a Masters whereas many do in five years.

I’m guessing it’s more likely that if a student starts at school A, they will want to finish there with all their friends regardless of initial desires.

5 Likes

yeah, she might just do the 4 years at the LAC and apply directly to grad school.

Looking to do quantum physics. Engineering from CalTech would give her alot of options to work for a few years, and potentially find an employer to PAY for her grad school :slight_smile:

3 Likes

for what she wants to do, she’ll want a PhD - the value of an engineering undergrad degree from CalTech she feels is more than a masters in physics, as what she really wants to do (quantum physics research) she knows she’ll need to go all the way; so she doesn’t really see the need to do the Masters along the way.

2 Likes

yeah, that seems to be what happens in reality - it may for her as well.

But she has always been driven - none of her friends are applying to any T100 schools, even - she have a great group of friends but if they aren’t up for going where she wants to go, she has no issue going it alone.

She did a summer program in Italy last summer she knew NO ONE, but made great friends and had a great time and made new friends by the end of it!

4 Likes

FYI, PhD programs in STEM are generally fully funded, with stipend.

7 Likes

yep, she is learning that - which may make the 3/2 less necessary.

she REALLY likes the JPL connection at CalTech, though - that’s probably half the reason she wants to be at CalTech LOL

3 Likes

Am I understanding correctly that she wants to be a physicist, but is planning to do a 3/2 engineering degree primarily so she can be at CalTech for 2 years? That is a bit of an unusual path if she doesn’t want to be an engineer.

Generally someone would take the path of doing a bachelor’s in physics and then a PhD in physics. She would not have difficulty getting a fully funded PhD position.

I’ll also add that people who have done well in their physics degrees have a surprisingly wide variety of good employment options (since it’s basically high-level applied math).

9 Likes

She wants to be a PhD. End goal is to end up at a place “like” JPL - or even AT JPL. The CalTech connection with JPL is something that she was really impressed with. And wants degrees from MIT and CalTech :slight_smile:

We’ll see how important she decides it is to go to CalTech! But starting somewhere where it’s at least an option gives her the option…

4 Likes

and yes, lots of optins - but the options SHE wants she’ll need to have her PhD