Parents of the HS Class of 2023 (Part 1)

Oh, I’ve been through hurricanes myself. (Lived just outside of Orlando the year three hurricanes plowed through the town. The disintegrating eye of Charley went directly over my house, in fact!) And I very much prefer them to earthquakes, which is the natural disaster of choice where we live now.

But D23 grew up with earthquakes so that’s what feels normal to her, and she worries that it would take something like a 3-inch storm surge to overwhelm Miami. (Which may be an exaggeration, but not by that much, you know?) So I get it, but I have to say that I can imagine some serious advantages there for her wintertime-depressed self. (Not to mention Caribbean food! I so seriously miss good Caribbean food.)

DS23 auditioned for the fall play today. Call backs are Friday (if he gets one). Saturday, he sits for the SAT . . . giddyup! Semester is up and running.

5 Likes

Lucky! My kids don’t go back until September 9th!

1 Like

Yikes! That is mid semester grade day for us!

My son is in a school production that is a big deal (the reason we go to this school) Dress rehearsal conflicts with the PSAT. He took PSAT in 10th and got a 1250. Has not studied and will not. Only thing that has changed is he is now on ADHD meds and he finished algebra 2. What do you think? Worth taking again to try for National Merit? Or not a good enough chance to miss rehearsal?

1 Like

Wow, I can’t answer whether it’s worth it or not - depends how much you think he’s grown academically, I guess - but I have never heard of a school deliberately setting up a conflict with the PSAT.

It also depends on what stat you are in? Is he planning the SAT in the fall as well?

I will have him take the SAT in novemberish probably. I am in a state with average index scores. If he had time to take a PSAT crash course, I am pretty sure he could get a perfect score but there is literally no time for that because of this stupid show. @Gatormama , I agree, they should move rehearsal to accommodate the PSAT. But I don’t think the PSAT is viewed as the more important thing by the school!

Outside of the Merit consideration, the only other benefit I can think of would be to get an understanding of areas you need to work on for the SAT, since he’s planing on taking it in the fall anyway it doesn’t really mater. My son’s been doing some prep work and is planning on taking both in October. Already feeling stressed about time slipping away!!!

1 Like

We are in the full swing of school now with S23 driving on his own. He’s looking for a part time (very part time) that works with his school so that he has time to do the school work. I found him a local tutor for SAT - he will be doing the tutoring 4 Sundays (I think 9-4?) in October before the 11/6 test. Fingers crossed that it’s a one and done test. I can’t tell you how much $$ I’ve spent on my kids taking tests and tutoring. :face_vomiting: I’m not sure we will be doing the traveling out of state to look at schools - he seems pretty set on Texas A&M for engineering. We will see if that changes this year.

3 Likes

Wowthat is a lot of tutoring! I hope it goes well!

Just in case anyone is looking for SAT practice books these are the three my Son’s tutor recommended and is using

Princeton Review SAT Prep, 2022: 6 Practice Tests + Review & Techniques + Online Tools (2021)

College Panda SAT Math

The Critical Reader - Reading

5 Likes

On our way to drop DD23 at boarding school and did a stop at Cornell on the way. Self-guided walking tour. Beautiful campus. Of course it is a reach school, but was a great first tour spot. We don’t even have a list yet.

1 Like

Our DS23 has an SAT in the rear view mirror!

7 Likes

Congrats! Here’s hoping for a great score!
Thing 2 takes his first ACT 9/11. What could go wrong… lol

2 Likes

We just got back from spending a few days in New York. We toured Colgate, Hamilton, and University of Rochester. D23 liked all of them, although Rochester got an “I really like this one!” It was the first school we’ve toured while classes were in session, and they did give her a t-shirt, so that may be impacting her feelings on that one.

She does want to keep all three on her list. I’m looking for advice on how to help her continue to narrow her list.

She struggled to come up with any criteria for a list at first, but finally decided that she wanted to find a school with strong programs in Creative Writing and Theatre. We found a great college guide that focused on strong schools for various creative majors, and she used that to begin building her list. She added our local branch of the state university as well as our state flagship, and a few other schools in our region that seemed to have strong programs in her areas of interest.

This gave her 300+ schools. I eliminated schools that didn’t have strong financials. Then she started doing online info sessions. D soon figured out that she did not want BFA programs in either area, so she was able to eliminate some schools that way. She also had 2 schools that she was able to eliminate after the info sessions - she knew from their sessions that they weren’t for her.

This brought her down to 128, and she’s been stuck there for a while. D doesn’t want to eliminate schools based on geography or size as she says she doesn’t have a preference on either yet. I thought getting out for in-person tours would help, but we’ve been on 8 tours and 3 drive-through so far and nothing has come off the list. We obviously can’t tour all 128, so what would be the next logical step to help her begin to narrow her list?

I haven’t run cost calculators on all yet, as I’m hoping to have a smaller list before I start that process. I have estimated what our FAFSA EFC will be and we should be able to pay that (and even a little bit more if needed) and most likely will qualify for some need-based aid.

What seems like the next best step? Should we just keep touring? We are lucky to live within somewhat-reasonable driving distance of about a dozen more schools on her list, and of course there are great online resources for many of the rest. Should I run cost calculators? Should she start looking more closely at curriculum? Something else that I’m not thinking of?

This may seem early to think about, but she starts school on Wednesday and will be crazy busy after that. So I want to help her make the best use of the time she has available to think about this stuff. Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!

3 Likes

We spent time looking through the course catalogs of schools my daughter was interested in. There is actually quite a bit of difference in courses taught (the focus and scope) even in the same subjects.

Some schools went off her list quite quickly once we looked at the course catalogs. She is majoring in a foreign language and the areas and focus of expertise at different schools were more narrow than one might think. There were lots of schools that looked great on paper, and then she read course descriptions within her likely major and thought, “I don’t want to take those courses.” Easy to drop those schools. She also read a lot about the tenured professors in her departments of interest on each campus, what classes they routinely taught, and what their focus of interest was - looking for professors she felt wold be a good match. She also reached out to her favorites via email to find out more info. She got a lot of feedback that way, which helped immensely.

We also did a lot of in-depth looking into college websites. If she didn’t like how the website was set up or found the site difficult to navigate, she dropped that school off her list. Both she and I are quite web (and research) savvy so a difficult site was a big indicator to us that the school hadn’t thought through their site very well, and lead us to believe it wouldn’t be better in person.

We did all the online virtual tours we could do. Again, if the virtual tour wasn’t appealing/informative, we dropped the school. There are too many out there to keep those on a list that don’t absolutely appeal.

We researched the areas schools were located (TripAdvisor, Chamber of Commerce, local tourism boards) to get an idea of whether the surrounding area had the amenities and resources that my daughter thought were essential. She wanted to make sure there were non-chain restaurants, vibrant music venues and at least one decent museum close by.

We investigated travel length, routes, methods and costs. D20 thought long and hard about how far away she wanted to be from home, how many connections she was willing to make, and how easy it would be to get to and from her college.

We looked at what the housing and dining situation looked like. Did my daughter want to spend all 4 years on campus, would she want the option of moving off campus, or was she ok with not having guaranteed housing. How plentiful were dining options, did they have variety easily available, and what kind of campus culture was there surrounding food? She didn’t want to attend a school that offered lots of fast food on campus, but I know a ton of people love the idea of their favorite fast food restaurant being available every day on campus.

She was able to narrow down her original list of dozens to just over 10 colleges the summer before senior year - all of which fit our financial parameters and constraints. We started doing the financial calculations pretty early in the process, it was fairly easy to eliminate many schools because even with their full merit aid, the price wouldn’t be affordable.

She ended up applying to 3 colleges total, as she became clearer and clearer on what she most valued during her search. She ED’d her clear first choice, EA’d two other colleges and was done by mid-November of her senior year (she was accepted ED).

9 Likes

These articles may help your daughter further refine her list:

2 Likes

@Starski just keep doing what you are doing and list will start to gel. After each visit have her list at least 2-3 things she liked and didn’t like about each visit. Hopefully from there you’ll see some common themes that emerge that can help in shorten your list.

2 Likes

@beebee3 Thank you for the great suggestions. I wish printed college catalogues were still in common use. I work in higher ed and used them a lot when working with students. We would write in them, highlight, fold down pages, etc. I find online just doesn’t have that same feel for me. I do think the curriculum is quite different among these schools, but I’m not sure how to best put that info in front of my D.

@merc81 Thanks for the lists! They helped me see that our original list was a good list for her interests, as all of those schools were on it, with one exception.

@Novacat9191 Great suggestion! She’s been making notes after each virtual or in person session, but without that structure. I think that will be helpful.

1 Like

It is overwhelming to read what people are doing. My kiddo is going away to boarding school for the first time this weekend. We have visited one school. And won’t get a chance to visit others until maybe her Spring Break. She has no idea what she wants to major in. She knows she doesn’t want a huge school. I don’t know what our budget is, haven’t looked at FAFSA. My husband’s job offers tuition exchange but I have no idea how that works. I am usually pretty type A but with her doing online all last year, and Covid, it kind of sneaked up on us. She has taken the SAT and ACT once each and plans to retake, but even if she didn’t she would be fine with those scores. So at least that is one thing not to worry about!

1 Like