Parents of the HS Class of 2024

So S24 is considering ED to Williams. He looked at the application on the common app and they seemed to have removed their supplemental essay and added optional uploading a paper. He is not sure how to approach this. He doesnt really have any good papers from last year since he took AP lang and AP history and there were no research papers for either. Maybe he will have one early this year in AP lit or the schools post AP history class but I wonder how it looks if you skip this for a highly rejective LAC?

Very interesting. Am not in a position to check, so have to ask: is it meant to be a graded paper, i.e. a PDF of same, showing teacher comments? Trying to understand whether they’re taking steps to ensure that whatever is submitted is some pre-existing thing or not. Interesting either way.

It does not need to be graded.

1 Like

3 essays now? Yikes. It was just 1 when S22 applied (the typical Why UMass).

It doesn’t look like they are looking for a research paper since it is limited to 3-5 pages. Personally, even if they say “optional” I’d submit something. In the past, optional has rarely meant optional (unless it is test optional).

5 Likes

Interesting. S21 applied ED and I can’t remember if they had the supplemental essay or not. I’ll see if I can find out from him.

Also, good luck to your son! Williams is an awesome choice, and they accept about half of their incoming class ED. (And they aren’t all athletes as some think - mine certainly isn’t.)

Interesting, thank you.

Yes this year they want “why UMass Amherst” and “why your major” both of which they had last year. But now they also have this new question:

And it is a required question, too.

He is a very high level musician who will be visiting their music department and playing for their orchestra director and teacher so in some ways he is like a recruited athlete so he will definitely apply ED. This is just a new weird one, he was thinking about hte new essay they had last year and just doesn’t have anything to submit right now which is annoying.

Yeah, that was my concern, it does not look like it needs to be graded.

They just want a regular english or history paper, no meed for research. Princeton asks for similar. I doubt it is truly optional, unless one were from a school that didnt do any academic writing.

1 Like

I used research paper in a loose way, that is what i meant, he didn’t do any written assignments for APUSH since they concentrated on the test and the majority for AP lang were short papers also concentrating on test prep. Hopefully this fall will be different or he will have to edit one he did last year for English to make it appropriate. Ugh

Wow that surprises me. Both of mine did both classes and wrote so many papers! Hopefully he has one in the first few weeks of English

5 Likes

Son Just applied to ASU (a safety) and as part of this S24 said he did not find a place to enter SAT score. He wanted to do the app by himself and I was busy when he did so did not double check. So I sent the score from College Board and I see it was 14 dollars to send one SAT score. So looks like college board increased from 12 to 14.

ASU app fee also went up to 80 dollars now. I remember someone saying it was 70. So look like the app fees also went up for many colleges.

3 Likes

True, but a large number of those non-athletes are URM, FGLI, geographically diverse, musically or artistically outstanding or legacy. Students from over represented categories who don’t fall into one of these buckets don’t generally have a meaningful advantage.

Same. S22 had to write a 30 page paper for his APUSH class . . .

1 Like

Chiming in to say I’m stunned that they didn’t have to write any papers in English or history in 11th grade. This was the foundation of grading my kids’ classes in those subjects, along with a few exams which were essays in and of themselves.

2 Likes

Sorry for my ignorance. What does C stand for? I know S and D as in S24 or D24.

1 Like

Child

1 Like