Parents of the HS Class of 2024

Great point

Yeah, what is sometimes called “yield protection”, or sometimes “Tufts Syndrome,” is not really a thing at these sorts of publics.

Interestingly, I think that is basically because for most applicants, they “know” pretty much exactly where they stand. Using the criteria I mentioned above, they can probably peg the kid that has a pretty low chance of getting into a better option (better including what COA likely means to their family). And then the same for the kid that very likely will go to a higher-ranked public or OOS if admitted, but some predictable percentage of them will enroll when that doesn’t happen. And so on.

The problem faced by a college like Tufts is that is much less predictable. Is it the top of your list? Second? Five down? Fifteen down? Two otherwise similar-seeming applicants could be anywhere in that range. Tufts is often not “special” in the way a public can be special, whether that sort of special means the public knows it is high or low on your list.

1 Like

Great listen on how UChicago manipulates yield to game the system.

3 Likes

And just like that D got her acceptance to the University of Alabama. That’s one down!

10 Likes

My D24 got hers today as well! I didn’t even realize they were rolling admissions. Congrats to both of ours!

8 Likes

My daughter now has acceptance letters from Ole Miss, Alabama, Kansas State, Oklahoma State and Baylor. Schools not yet accepted: Iowa State, North Carolina, Florida State, Texas A&M, Ohio State, Tulsa and Creighton. She is still planning and working on applying to additional schools.

Ole Miss is really going after her and she seems to get mail daily from them. Two days ago they sent her a students info that is doing the exact academic path my daughter is wanting to do. This Ole Miss student just graduated in Communication Disorders (Speech Therapy) and has now entered Medical School at Ole Miss. My daughter was really impressed they matched her with this student and she is now emailing back and forth with this student at Ole Miss. It really is cool when schools go that extra step.

13 Likes

We applied to Baylor early and are still waiting on that one. But I understand their rolling admission is random. Good to know they’re already going out.

My son is confused if he should do Early action and Regular Decision, His SAT is 1510, GPA 3.842 is 9 APs including senior year and 6 Dual enrollment courses. His GPA might go up in mid year thats why he is confused if he should do EA or not as he will miss out the chance to showcase better GPA. He had B’s in Maths in 10 and 11th grade and doing better in Math in Senior year so is not sure if he should wait. He will be applying for Cognitive science. Wea re in CA. Can anyone please help?

Unless he is applying SCEA/REA he should apply EA everywhere it is available, and even then SCEA/REA allows for some EA applications.

What does his list look like?

7 Likes

He is applying to UCs, UIUC,UMD,Purdue

You definitely want to apply EA to those schools. UMD in particular can be a very hard get OOS during regular decision. I imagine the others are similar. Also, merit $ might be more readily available.

6 Likes

Yes. They are infamous for filling 90%+ of their freshman class through EA. So it becomes a reach in RD.

5 Likes

UIUC and Purdue are also known for filling a large portion through EA. Maybe not as much as UMD, but they’re both going to be reaches in RD even for top OOS students.

2 Likes

The UCs don’t have EA. The UC GPA is calculated using courses taken from summer after 9th grade until summer after 11th grade. 12 grade courses are used to demonstrate rigor and to make sure a student completed their A-G requirements.

3 Likes

Depending on the major Purdue recommends applying by EA. Especially for CS and engineering.

Some colleges like UMD college park pick very very few kids from RD. So for schools where his GPA is in the range he should apply EA if possible.

2 Likes

Thank you all.

I just looked at their table of AP credit. The class he got a 5 on they only give credit for a 5 and the one he got a 4 they give credit for a 4 or a 5 so it makes sense to report both. Thanks for the great idea!

2 Likes

So UC doesn’t count 9th grade courses?

They count 9th grade courses when evaluating whether or not a student completed their A-G requirements, but they don’t use the grades in calculating the UC GPA.

This UC GPA calculator might help. GPA Calculator for the University of California – RogerHub

1 Like

Did you filter for ED or not? Naviance let’s you do that. It’s often useful to use the filters to focus on the particular situation the student is applying under.