Parents of the HS Class of 2024

Interesting did not think of it that way.

They may address it to the students but 98% of them won’t even check snail mail. I’ve done a lot of research here. Adults aren’t check snail mail advertisements and for sure kids aren’t. That’s why you prob see less physical mail ads.

D24 started to get email and physical mail as soon as she signed up in AP classroom for her AP Macro class. It is steadily increasing now that she took the PSAT. Glad that she set up an email just for this purpose!

Have any of you had the “money talk” yet?

We did just these past couple of weeks. Reader’s Digest version: We told D24 that we can fund 4 years of the cost of an in state school, so if she’d like to go out of state or to a LAC, then she’ll need merit scholarships. Also told her that she can major in whatever she wants, but the goal is to have gainful employment or go to grad school after college graduation & essentially be able to support yourself. Also told her that if she picks a tough major like engineering and needs more time to finish (like a semester-ish), then that’s negotiable and we’ll work something out with her. Told her that she’ll be responsible for paying for her books & personal expenses + paying for any travel she wants to do with friends.

Non-Reader’s Digest version:
For weeks, DH & I have been debating this between ourselves because he & I had very different experiences & came from different backgrounds in terms of the whole “who pays for college” topic. My parents were pretty clear at the get go: “We’ll pay for 4 years. If you need to take >4 yr to finish, then you fund the remaining part yourself and you’ll have to figure it out.” Looking back on that, I appreciate their candor & being so up front about it because throughout college, I had a “Oh poop, I need to get my act together so I can support myself when I’m done.”

As for DH, his parents couldn’t afford to save any $ for college and he had to fund it all himself while supporting himself, had to move out at age 18 and all of the challenges that went along with that. He also picked a really hard major and had, like, zero study skills, made a lot of mistakes along the way, and took 10 years to finally finish.

DH’s ‘comfort zone’ is a philosophy of “Why should I outlay all of this $$ for them? I had to figure it out on my own and I did ok, so they should, too.” Then he got to a place of “They can go to the local university and live at home the whole time,” which I balked at.

After hours and hours and hours of deliberation, discussion, and debates, we finally (he and I) came to the agreement that I mentioned above.

1 thing that DH keeps bringing up is “return on investment” and he just does NOT understand why D24 (who just turned 15 1/2 2 wk ago):

1. doesn’t seem to “care” much right now about college
  2. doesn’t know yet “what she wants to be when she grows up”
  3. isn’t “focused enough”

I’ve reminded DH many times now that:

• the counselor told us last school year that it’s NORMAL for students at this stage to be a little “I don’t know yet” and to not freak out about it.

• the counselor also said that it’s NORMAL for students to sort of try on a bunch of different things in order to figure out what they like best, figure out what “fits.” And that parents shouldn’t freak out about this.

• not every kid knows from age 10 what they want to be when they grow up, so back off

• the focus right now should be on keeping your grades up, doing well in school.

to the last point, one of D24’s challenges is she will sometimes lose motivation when she doesn’t understand the “so what?” behind something. DH’s communication style at the moment isn’t working w/D24, so they end up often butting heads, lots of frustration between them and all of that jazz.

Ultimately, what D24 wants to understand is “Why are my parents hassling me about X, Y, or Z?” It clicks when you calmly explain it to her and connect the dots. I did a bit of that yesterday w/her (while, separately, I told DH to stay the heck out of the room) and you could kind of see the dots connecting together in her head. (more in next post)

1 Like

(continued)

Ok, so D24 says that she wants to major in Biology. Also has said that she wants to go to med school to become a doctor. Why a doctor? She doesn’t know.

So I told her how our pediatrician’s office is looking for high school volunteers to help with paperwork & office work
they’re short staffed. Suggested that she do something like this over the summer, for example, 1 day a week. D24 thought that was a good idea since she’d be able to see first hand what it’s like. It’s 1 thing to hear something from Mom and Dad, and something else when you see it/hear it/experience it for yourself sometimes.

Last summer, there was an online “What does it take to get into med school & become a doctor” presentation that a couple of colleges put on Zoom. D24 & I attended it. I already knew all of that info, but it was important for her to see it/hear it. She balked at first
“But it’s summer! Why are you making me even watch this right now? I just want to play video games/watch TV! WAH!” Then afterwards, she was like “Oh, I get it.”

Yesterday, the med school topic came up again. She & I reviewed the info from that previous presentation
here’s the classes needed in order to get into med school, here’s the GPA range required, here’s the other stuff required in order to get in, and oh
almost every Bio major across the country wants to go to med school so it’s competitive.

And her gut reaction was pretty much “Oh, so what? Why are you bugging me with this over Christmas break?”

so I spelled it out
Hey, kiddo, there are some LACs out there which have VERY high % of their bio major/pre-health undergrads who are accepted to med school (much higher than the national average). Here’s the average COA of those schools (she had an “OMG that’s expensive” moment)

BUT, for example, at LAC #1, they have these auto-merit scholarships which they dole out automatically based on HS GPA. Here’s the one that you would qualify for right now based on your current HS GPA
and then when you apply that to their COA, it lowers the total COA to ___. But if you bring your GPA up a little bit to X range, then you qualify for this slightly better COA and that’s pretty much the same amount as if you went to In State University here in AZ.

So since Trimester 2 is finishing up in about a month and there will be comprehensive exams & such for that and then a report card, consider this as you decide how you’ll prepare for & study for those tests. Every B that you can turn into an A will boost your GPA. Every B- that you can turn into a B or B+ will make a difference. When you’re a senior, it will translate into REAL dollars $$. It will give you options that you don’t realize right now are within reach.

And omg, she had this total light bulb moment then. Eyes got wide, she nodded and said, “Oooohhh
I get it now.” Then she said, “Then how come Daddy didn’t just explain that?” LOL, no idea kiddo.

Hope everybody has a great New Year’s Eve! Tomorrow will be 2022! Can you believe it?

5 Likes

My S is a young 15 year old and it was not until this semester that he realized why good grades matter. He is a very high level musician so there is a little bit of a “hook” and he just now understands why it is important to get the B’s into the A range for college and it is all about options. He has no idea what he wants to do just like your D and it sounds like you have done it all right. Give her the info on why it matters and she has so much time to figure out the details.

2 Likes

I hear ya! D24 doesn’t turn 16 until next June
AFTER 10th grade is all over and done with. By comparison, some of her classmates turned 16 in August of this year.

That’s great about your S’s music!

Great conversation and I’m glad she was receptive. I think students/families often don’t realize that there is a cap to how much money a student can borrow. Any loan above that cap must be in the parents name.

Excellent advice. It is a little early but keep her options open for allied health professions as well (physician assistants, physical therapy, occupational therapy, optometry, etc.). UC Davis has some helpful resources on their health professions website. Click on a profession and then on the resources on the right side. It will give you a list of pre-req courses required for several schools that offer that professional program. For example, the physician assistant pre-req courses are here. If she starts college as a bio major then bombs chemistry and wants to change her major, she can look for other health related careers that might be options (ex. occupational therapy).

2 Likes

yes, my older one is an october birthday and this one is end of june, it is an interesting experience having your kids be the youngest!

and my husband and I are both doctors, I would definitely have a looong conversation with anyone who is seriously considering medicine on reasoning. Medicine is very likely to continue to change dramatically by the time a 15 year old is 30 and in practice and the time and expense involved in getting there will not change.

3 Likes

Both of me kids aspire to be doctors. I just try to make sure they have exposure to the field. S21 was lucky in that he got two years of hospital volunteering, all dealing with senior patients. D24 has job shadowed. So far they insist it isn’t for the money. There are way better professions they can get into if they want to make money. I’ve created a spreadsheet to show them the opportunity costa of being a doc vs a different type of degree if money was a driver :slight_smile:

As for the money convo, I’m privileged in that I’ve had a chance to save. I paid for my own college degree but the UW tuition was $3500/yr back then. I don’t think it’s realistic to expect kids to pay their own way these days. A state college here is $35k/yr fully loaded. No min wage job can cover that. I worked at mcD’s in college to pay for my tuition and then interned with my current company.

We give the kids two options: go to a UC and I’ll pay for it and help with med school or go to an Ivy and get help for undergrad but no help for med school. Any non-Ivy and/or non-UC, I’m only paying up to the UC cost since I don’t think those schools would be a good ROI of my $. S21 chose the Ivy undergrad route but we will see what D24 chooses.

3 Likes

Happy 2022 Everyone!! Hope you all have healthy and happy year ahead.

In regards to the financial/money talk we have not had an official talk. we have had multiple casual talk over the last year. We have had to close friends kids start college this year and We have used that as a starting point to talk. With my son having multiple casual talks followed by a more in depth talk seems to help him digest for most things.
So far we have told him that we will not qualify for any need based financial aid. We are fortunate enough and saved over the years to be able to pay the for undergrad no matter where he chooses to go. What we told him is we are comfortable paying full up to the full UC costs (40k ish) and if he chooses privates or out of state it will depend on the college.
We have said we will pay for undergrad and for grad school and beyond we will not pay.

He is undecided as to what he wants to do in college. Alternates between engineering/CS/Law/public policy. I told him it would make things easier if he know which direction he wants to go for researching colleges and stuff but he is not there yet. I told him that we live a upper middle class life style and if he chooses a field that may not earn enough he will have to adjust his life style and that will not be easy for him (knowing him).

We will most likely have a full discussion this summer and also ask him to start looking up colleges.

1 Like

Happy 2022! Checking in, S24 and I have had a few conversations about college. He has no idea what he wants to do, which is totally normal. He has volunteered letting me know some schools he wouldn’t consider from the list I have been working on because he doesn’t like their sport programs :face_with_raised_eyebrow:. His semester doesn’t until the end of this month so time to buckle down and study for midterms.

1 Like

Happy New Year. I’m hoping it’s a better year than 2021 was!

D24 has some ideas of what she is interested in, but it is so different from anything I know! She likes history and historical fashion and costuming a lot. I don’t really have a good idea of how this works to a career. I’m sure it can be done
it’s just foreign to me.

So on a different topic, S24 is considering taking a college class this summer with S21 who goes to conservatory and needs some real education (ha!). On other threads people have commented that college classes taken while in HS never go away, that if you apply to grad school these can still be seen. Anyone know anything about this? This seems to be more in reference to people go to med school, is this also an issue if the class is taken pass/fail or for law school?

Any college class taken would be on a student’s permanent college record and would have to be disclosed and a transcript sent when applying for Undergrad, Graduate and Professional programs (ie. Medical school, Dental school, Law school, Pharmacy school etc
).

Rule of thumb is that student wanting to take a college class should select a class they will perform well in as an A grade.

3 Likes

so if he is taken it “for fun” should he audit, take pass/fail, not do this?

If the class is for fun, then auditing the course might be the best option. He can check with the college to see how he will not generate a transcript by taking the course.

amazing! once again CC is an amazing resource

1 Like

Taking courses as a Non-degree seeking student would provide him with the class but not credits. Like I stated above, check with the college to make sure this is an option.

1 Like