Parents of the HS Class of 2024

My sister went to law school. You definitely don’t need to be a political science major in order to apply to law school. She majored in sociology & French.

3 Likes

Did everyone hear about the SAT going digital and getting shorter starting in 2024? Sadly a bit late for our kids.

On a side note, I sent an email to my son’s guidance counselor with a few questions and she actually scheduled a zoom with me to discuss. So are there any school specific questions I should be sure to ask while I have her attention? TIA.

Good luck to your daughter this Saturday. It great to see the Kids wanting do well in the next event than the last. As long as though put in the effort things will get better.

Great to hear about the math improvement, teachers do make a lot of difference on how kids do in the class.

That’s interesting. I wonder how much shorter it’ll be.

One hour shorter – so, 2 hours instead of 3.

1 Like

It’s unfortunate that it’s going to miss tyr ‘24s, though I’m not sure I’d like D24 to be in the Guinea pig year of roll out either. Enough uncertainty as it is.

I posted a thread on the main board asking if people think our kids should bother prepping and taking the SAT, seems the answer is yes, ugh

My opinion is that a good test score will be an advantage to higher income kids at most test optional selective schools. The more data we get the better but most schools haven’t been very transparent about test optional at this level of detail. I’m hoping someone throws the '23s a bone and explains what happened with the current cycle. Apparently there were lists of like 15-20 schools again this year at the higher income levels since TO created so much extra uncertainty.

2 Likes

My real question was in a world of test optional and all the kids have GPAs of 4.0 unweighted; if you dont have an SAT score of 1570 or higher for the highly selective schools, do SATs make any difference. My S has a high level EC that will help him stand out at those schools, so is there a point in spending money and time on prepping to possibly get one of those really high scores or just see how he does with minimal or no prep, or horrors of horrors, skip the whole thing!

The answer will depend on a lot of things. I’m not sure anyone really knows the answer. We don’t have any ‘22 cycle data yet. There are a handful of schools that showed they still really value test scores during the ‘21 cycle and that was probably more true for high income kids. The schools will also be tracking TO admit performance since ‘21 so there could be adjustments based on that by ‘24.

If nothing changes, I’m making mine do test prep next year and then she can decide whether or not it helps her app.

2 Likes

I will be making S24 and D26 do prep when the time comes.

However, I’m also watching how 2 cases the supreme court took play out. I read a couple of articles that suggest that if Harvard and UNC lose, more universities will go test-optional or test blind. It allows them to select the student body they see fit without being challenged.

I suspect the supreme court will rule against Harvard and UNC. More schools will turn test-optional or test-blind. The admission process becomes even more uncertain. '24 students apply for even more schools.

2 Likes

The issue with a test-blind process is that the rigor of a student’s school then becomes an issue. If you are aiming at a T50 school, they will scrutinize your student’s transcript and compare it to the rigor available at your high school. If your student did not opt to take the most difficult classes, then you have a problem. If your student did take the most rigorous schedule, but did not make straight “A’s”, then you have a problem. Said differently, students at top high schools will have their attendance at such schools held against them in a test-optional environment. This is already happening.

Further, grade inflation in high schools is a known issue across the country. The point of the ACT and SAT is that it truly tests students and stratifies results.

I don’t disagree that universities will move more towards a test-optional approach. However, I believe that in the long-run such will make high school more competitive and will actually hurt the very students they are trying to admit.

2 Likes

I was talking to someone about this and they mentioned that the data show for colleges that release the data that even in test optional a good score will give a boost. UPenn released last years ED data and 74% of the accepted kids had submitted test score.

I am not saying these kids got in only because of the scores but to me it looks like they did give some importance to it.

I agree we are in a top high school in the state and kids take very high rigor already and now with out SAT they are trying to increase rigor further. I worry for these kids.

We have been discussing the course rigor a lot in our house currently as course selection is coming closer.

Case in point on the test optional applications. My S22 has applied to several universities. But, he did take the ACT. His test was cancelled three times. He was finally able to take it (the testing center closed the next day for COVID) and scored a 34. He has submitted his scores on every application.

At Texas A&M, as an OOS student, he was admitted to engineering in two weeks (granted, he applied in early August). But, there are some students that applied in August test optional that are still waiting on their admissions decisions. At Alabama he has his admissions, honors admissions, STEM path to MBA admissions, and scholarships. Test optional students are still waiting on scholarship decisions.

I happen to be a reader for a scholarship at SMU. I know what an admission file looks like. When I read a file that has no standardized score, a question I have is why not? I have seen many parents and students on this site state that they will purposely not report a low score (personally, I think that is wrong). As a reader, if it comes down to two applicants, one with a score and one without…well…

1 Like

But what about all the kids who were unable to test because of Covid. Not everyone had the means to fly somewhere to take a test.

1 Like

I am but one reader. My son took the ACT in October 2020. COVID was different then. Frankly, if a student wants to sit the ACT/SAT now (unless they are in California or Hawaii, potentially), they can. All my applicants were from states where testing centers were open (Texas, Arkansas, Florida, etc.).

As for what I seeing regarding S22’s experience, ask the universities. I am just telling you what I seeing. Yes, universities will likely go test-optional. Students do so at their own risk.

After watching this process with S22, we have had a long talk with D24. S22 never wanted to apply to any T50 schools. He wants to graduate debt-free. So, as a likely NMF, he chose Alabama (and, boy, did they ever roll out the Crimson carpet on his private tour). Both kids are full IB candidates. In thinking through D24’s choices for HLs and SLs (which are set for the next two years), we advised her not to beat herself up like S22 did. IB candidates are recruited by universities. So, we wanted her to enjoy high school more. She is looking at more selective universities, but nothing near T50. So, I am not worried about a small change in rigor (we are taking about taking a step down in HL Math and HL Chem instead of HL Physics and only three HLs).

We are I California so that’s my only point of reference, and yes it was a nightmare and the main reason we will forgo it for our son in a couple of years. The whole situation left a bad taste in my mouth.

1 Like

I agree that it will hurt URM students in the long run.

SAT/ACT are correlated to the wealth of the family but what’s not correlated in the admission process? Given the free resources on the internet on SAT/ACT, I think it’s the easiest obstacle to overcome than moving to a better school, picking up expensive EC, or writing better essays. Those who can afford will get an essay consultant.

I think the universities can pick and choose their student body however they decide. However, I would love to see clarity in the process. If Harvard decides that they want more legacy, children of staff and athletes, I think that’s fine. They just come out and say it.

4 Likes