Parents of the HS Class of 2024

Harvard is already TO for the next 4 years. If they lose they’ll make it permanent, IMO.

Agree but TO is the same as test preferred unless the data on Class of 2021 says differently and we’ve not seen it. Wouldn’t they still have to release % accepted who submit test scores? I feel like Harvard would have to just go test blind because they could get accused of the same thing. They go test blind there’s one less metric for them to be scrutinized and it allows them to be more subjective.

2 Likes

So a statistic that I found as part of this discussion is that only 56% of Oberlin’s class of 2021 submitted tests, and their average SAT was in the low 1400s. That seems insane

Just like UC and more schools will go test-blind to avoid legal problems. It’s going to be even more difficult to figure out what it takes to be admitted to those schools.

I don’t think it has ever been possible to know what is required to be admitted to an elite school. Even if they just went by gpa/score/rigor thousands of high performing students would still be rejected.

2 Likes

True, and it’s going to be even more unclear why many exceptional students are rejected.

I agree with this that this for motivated students SAT/ACT is one of the easier targets to overcome.
Many EC’s on the other hand are very expensive.

FYI for anybody whose kid is eye’ing National Merit scholarships:

This year, it appears that ASU has changed its NM Finalist scholarships for out of state students such that NMF students get a 50% off of OOS tuition instead of 100% free tuition. A LOT of people are really frustrated with this!

1 Like

Actually, it is a $15,500yr scholarship, not a half OOS tuition scholarship. As tuition goes the scholarship does not. Plus, the Barrett fre went up. S22 quickly discarded ASU. Felt like a bait and switch.

1 Like

According to Standard Tuition Costs | ASU, the ASU OOS base tuition is $28,800/yr. So technically, it’s a smidge more than 50% off the OOS tuition. That being said, it’s very frustrating for all of this year’s NMF OOS students who were thinking of attending ASU! It’s a big change that puts that school now out of the running for a lot of OOS students.

I think the previous Harvard lawsuit had a pretty detailed breakdown where it was good enough. Sometimes they will list out what’s important on the common data set. I don’t think we will get to see every single criteria because in committee, there is still a lot of back and forth but it’s still based on the key metrics + subjective opinion where maybe the Dean’s final say rules the day.

1 Like

SAT Changes-
My kids just apply to UC and CSU schools, so the change in the SATs are too late for us. We no longer care. My son is a senior and we signed him up for 3 different SATs during the last two years and they kept getting cancelled. After the third cancellation is when I found out the CSUs had gone test blind for his class. The UCs had already announced a while back they were test blind permanently. Now the CSUs are expected to go permanently test blind. We’re happy about that because my daughter is spotty with standardized tests (especially math) and it would have taken a lot of time out of her life to appropriately study.

As for summer stuff-
we don’t set out to do programs that will improve college chances (other than occasionally summer school to get the classes they need/want). My kids love Astrocamp, so that’s always a priority. While it’s educational, we just send them because they love it. It doesn’t even make it onto the college applications. This Spring we are going to Costa Rica and will take Spanish classes along with touristy stuff. That’s to help my kids with their current classes and actually experience living in the language. I was a Spanish major and did this a few times in college (and after), so it’s been a priority for me to take the kids and do it with them. COVID just delayed it a while. My daughter is taking a Europe trip with school this summer. She can do a project and get college credit. We’ll have her do that. The project is easy and the college class will boost her GPA for applications. But the trip is really just for fun and educational experiences.

I’d tell them a bit about what you are looking for in terms of cost, location, size, etc, and then ask where students like your kid apply. I think every HS has advantages at certain schools and maybe your kid has the right stats and ECs for one of those schools.

Some colleges prefer weighted or unweighted GPAs, some like test scores, some give big merit for an IB diploma, etc.

Test optional is still evolving. Last year there were plenty of kids that couldn’t test, but by the time our kids apply it will be obvious the applicant chose to take/send a score.

I think test optional will force colleges to lean on their historical data about the HS and demographic clues. They have their own and also there is some sharing through the enrollment software.

I mentioned this earlier, ECs and classes get a lot harder junior year. More APs, leadership in the ECs, boyfriends/girlfriends, etc. I think the most important thing we can do for our kids is help prioritize college stuff. My D is only going to take a prep class if I think she can score high enough to add to her application.

1 Like

I am interested in your trip to Costa Rica. Do you plan the classes yourself or how are you able to find out information about the classes. I have a student who is interested in Spanish. She is taking intermediate Spanish as a dual enrolled student and will like to do study abroad but we are also
Looking into doing a trip as a as a senior trip so that could work. Thanks

Very interesting summer Plan Our school also has a summer trip to Italy and we considered but did not go through because of Covid and various travel restrictions that keep popping up. But I hoping he can do it the year after Junior year.

Course planning for next year has begun at D24’s school, and she has much angst about whether her schedule is “rigorous” enough. I do wish there was less pressure around the entire college process, and continue to tell her I don’t care what bumper sticker is on my car, but she’s a perfectionist and is too hard on herself.

4 Likes

Ha! We have continued the conversation again in my house and are debating the other way around, is it too rigorous because he is concerned that he wont have enough time for music practice and his 8 hours of sleep!

1 Like

Her’s is definitely rigorous - mostly honors and AP so her worry is unfounded. I wish she would relax but she seems to need to always be busy, and 8 hours of sleep sounds amazing! I’m sure all of our kids will end up where they belong - just wish they all knew that. :wink:

1 Like

I totally agree, my S has the same schedule, they are so funny that they all have different priorities.

1 Like