Parents of the HS Class of 2025

Our school offers a PSAT in 9th, 10th and 11th. None offered his first 2 years b/c of COVID. He took his PSAT this fall, a school based SAT in March and will take one more in June. He’s trying to break 1400.

S25 has taken the 9th grade PSAT so far.

Mine is also doing girls who code this summer.

1 Like

Is she doing the traditional class or the self-paced course?

The virtual self paced one. She has other things going on that will make the in person hard to do at that time so she is glad for the options.

1 Like

Same! Between vacation, sports practice, and family visits, I’m glad she has this option.

D25 did not make the top level team she wanted but did move to a different team. Shes disappointed as she only has 1 friend on the team and the rest of the team is younger. This dance team does have a bit more travel and follows the top level team so Im trying to frame this as a learning experience.

Along with competition team, she is doing the high school team as well. A positive is that she agreed to help coach the 1st grade youth team so she gets volunteer hours for that (and she really likes who she is co teaching with).

Doing nothing academic this summer except trialing watching some movies in Spanish. She will be a low 3s GPA type student and thats okay.

4 Likes

@2plustrio , how many hours a week is your daughter dancing between the two teams? That sounds like a lot. (I know there’s no way my daughter could dance at the studio AND pull off high school dance. Maybe your daughter needs less sleep than mine!)

In the summer about 17 hrs a week at class not including what she does at home for practice.

How’s everyone’s summer going? We just returned from an epic 10 day family vacation to Alaska and have enjoyed a slightly slower pace than during the school year. Other than skeet practice twice a week, S25 has been hard at work atrophying his brain with video games. He has done some of his summer work, but I might have to get out the cattle prod soon if he doesn’t get cranking on the summer reading and finish his math packet. This week is driver’s ed (Heaven help me!) and next week he has two weeks of band camp for a few hours each day. I’m glad he’ll get out of the house, as he hasn’t seen his friends as much as he would like. School starts a month from a day. Oh how the summer is flying!

He got his score for the AP World History test on Tuesday and ended up with a 3. I’m glad he passed, but it was a really challenging experience for him. I’m hoping that he grew from it and that AP European will be a bit easier for him.

Hope everyone is well!

5 Likes

D25 is currently at a Psychology and Neuroscience camp at UC Berkeley. Today they did some work with…a cockroach! Related to neuroscience, from what I can tell. It’s 9 days, then she resumes her summer cross country training. We got back from a two-week trip to Italy a couple weeks ago. Fun, except for the COVID my wife and I caught when we got back home. All better now though.

3 Likes

Cool, I’m sure she is excited and enjoying the camp. Non of mine are interested in the medical line. Mine is doing an aviation camp starting tomorrow but it is local and not residential.

2 Likes

@Kumihama-Cho, it sounds like you got back from Alaska just as we returned—clearly there is some sort of geographically-based Law of Conservation of Co2025ers out there just waiting for the physicists to discover.:upside_down_face:

We did one college tour while we were in the lower 48, at San Diego State University—my tour report is available on the Colleges Your Child Crossed Off the List thread, along with a mention of my C23’s experience with the University of Colorado Denver (which hosted her music tech camp).

The big fun of the summer, aside from the just-completed family vacation, is that my C25 and I are working on a topical-to-this-forum research project that we’re going to submit later this summer for presentation at an academic conference. Basically, we’re looking at salutation practices in college recruitment materials. We have a handful of preliminary results, but nothing solid yet. I promise I’ll post a summary here once we have something more complete to say, though, I promise!

4 Likes

My kid is living his best life playing the crap out of D&D with friends.

Since the school related skill he needs the most work on is reading and writing well, I consider it to be “supportive extra-curricular activity” (but don’t tell him that, or he’d find a way to not be interested anymore…). He’s particularly working on how to make a coherent universe that is believable, along with action-filled scenes and descriptions. Who knows, perhaps he’ll become a sportscaster or news reporter who has a particularly eloquent way of describing things. :wink:

5 Likes

ANYTIME you want to give the physicists some additional data, I’m happy to swap locations with you. Alaska is an absolute dream!

Looking forward to reading your university reviews!

1 Like

I am reminded of a colleague who works in literacy studies telling me about the frustrations she had with a kindergarten teacher who was very vocal about the lengths they went to to get their students to stop “wasting time” playing Magic: The Gathering during their free time instead of doing something “academically useful” like reading books.

My colleague described how she got progressively less and less polite in pointing out that to play Magic, these kids had to have acquired both reading and math skills at above grade level, so maybe the teacher ought to just get out of the way and let it happen.

4 Likes

Hi all,
My S25 is having a fabulous summer so far, currently in Italy on a 3 week history course, volunteering at our hospital, and got a 5 on his APHUG test. He has also spent quality time playing D&D this summer with his friends and going to school workouts to stay in shape.

5 Likes

Well, summer has been both what we thought it would be (2 week ballet summer intensive for D25) and not (her bringing covid home from said intensive and then having it sequentially pass through the entire family, which made her chance to choreograph at a camp disappear). But we’ve also decide to, gulp, let her leave her public high school to join a public charter school, which essentially means we’re homeschooling next year. She wants to increase her dancing and felt like something would have to give if she stayed in a normal school setting (rigor, dance, or mental health). So with more than a little fear and trepidation, we’re trying it for a year. If it’s horrible, she’ll head back to the high school, and if it’s great, we’ll keep going. If it’s somewhere in the middle, we’ll have to reassess! Ironically, she’ll actually have access to more dual enrollment, AP, and honors classes via the public charter than at her brick and mortar school if she makes it through the next three years there.

5 Likes

My kid’s summer is inadvertently turning into Summer of Independence. She flew alone again (did it last summer, too) and is currently planning on going to a nighttime concert with a friend on public transit. This will be fine, right…right? (The friend is captain of cheer squad and is going to college abroad next month, not a party kid.)

Deep breaths. This is getting real. Like, one day they just can go wherever.

3 Likes

Nice to read updates on everyone’s summer. My S25 has XC camp all summer which starts at 7:30 in the mornings so that has put a damper on him being able to relax and enjoy sleeping in. I finally decided to make an executive decision and gave him permission to skip a couple days a week because I feel strongly his summer should feel like one. That and he doesn’t plan on trying to be on of the best runners on the team. He also has summer work for his AP and honors classes in the fall, but thankfully he seems to have a handle on it and hasn’t complained too much.

He just got back from Lake Tahoe and then at the end of this week we are headed to NYC to visit our old stomping grounds. After that he has XC in Big Bear which he is really looking forward to.

He’s been trying to find a summer job but everywhere is requiring him to be 16, so he’s just done some babysitting instead. He’s been much more independent with the e bike he got for his birthday and its done him a world of good. I also love not having to be a chauffeur anymore :slight_smile:

@dfbdfb my D21 goes to SDSU, I enjoyed reading your review. She loves it there and has actually been able to customize her experience a bit more through the honors college. She loves those classes so much. I think she will wind up graduating with 2 minors. The next decision will be where she studies abroad. We really like that the school requires this in order to graduate.

4 Likes

Summer is going well here for D25. She has decided this will be her 10th grade year so she is taking 1 community college CTAE class and doing some summer camps so busy but not overwhelming so. Can’t believe school is starting back in 3 weeks, so soon.

3 Likes