Parents of the HS Class of 2025

That seems a bit better. Our school is smaller, D25 has only 80 kids in her class but 3.4 seems so low! They do have to do at least 10 community service hours (plus another 10 required per year for regular school requirements and they can’t overlap) and show up to all meetings but the bar seems really low.

I wonder if colleges look at each school’s requirements for NHS like they do for rigor or if they just lump all of NHS together.

1 Like

NHS is like grading systems: all over the board. It isn’t that impressive, unless you do something with it. At many schools, it’s just pretty much an honor to list with minimal requirements. At others there is more involved. Ours I think they have to do some community service, but I don’t even know exactly because they also have to do community service for the Govt class seniors take. Generally they do the same hours and count them both places.

S19 didn’t get in his junior fall because he had a few unexcused absences the semester before. All were ones I just didn’t get called in officially. Then the did another round in the spring, and it was due during his state tournament and he blew off the application. He didn’t care. I didn’t much either, although I felt bad the the first round was my fault. Mom was not impressed with either of us to put it very mildly. We made sure to get him qualified his senior year. Mostly she thought it was embarassing that a kid headed to an Ivy wasn’t going to wear the NHS sash at graduation. I pick my battles, this wasn’t one of them. I made sure he got the application turned in when he got that final opportunity.

4 Likes

At our school it’s only for seniors, so S25 won’t get an invite until the spring.

Colleges don’t care about NHS. Not even worth the $25 or whatever it is to join.

2 Likes

If you view NHS as a social rather than an academic club, and if the members make for a good chill group of friends, it’s totally worth it. Otherwise? Eh, whatevs.

1 Like

It isn’t about membership, but about what the student does. Does NHS require community service? If so, how they chose to spend their time, and what community service they did, is what is important.

This applies to any organization or award. You could win the Noble Prize. That’s great. But what did you do to earn that prize?

2 Likes

So why not just do the community service? You don’t need NHS to volunteer. Or get good grades.

2 Likes

Each chapter (= school) sets their own criteria, and establishes its own “rules” as what precisely it requires once having become a member.

Given all the academic stress in HS, it might feel nice to having been formally recognized - and at the induction, parents figure out, who else is among the better students.

At elite colleges, everyone will be NHS, if the school offers it - so it won’t be standing out. I don’t know if anyone would question in their mind why someone is NOT NHS, if “everyone else” from that school is.

At our (public) school it was a no-brainer. Fees and trinkets were covered by the school, so that everyone (eligible) would be able to accept membership, regardless of personal economic considerations.

2 Likes

Absolutely! However, there is often a social component to NHS as well. If a student doesn’t want to be part of NHS, I wouldn’t push them. If they want to give it a try, then support them in their choice.

I’ll add… the NHS graduation stole is often a big value added for students.

2 Likes

Our school doesn’t do stoles or cords.

3 Likes

Very interesting the differences among schools regarding NHS. D25 is in NHS and was a sophomore rep. I’m not sure of the application process, if any. The big one at our school is CSF (CA Scholastic Federation). That is the only one that has a graduation stole and recognition at graduation.

Typical of the youngest innit? Why use all the knowledge you’ve gained from going thru this before? (At least that’s the way my youngest thinks. And so yes, we’re probably applying to a UK school)

1 Like

I’m jealous that your school started it in 10th grade. I wish we did.

Checked with the guidance counselor last night and the school does take care of all of the PSAT registration, so we’re all set there. They’re planning on a few meetings with the juniors before the test to make sure they have what they need downloaded etc.

Our school does that too. All 10th and 11th graders take the PSAT. That same morning the 9th graders have a fun activity (each history class goes against the others in “Greek Olympics”) and the 12th graders get the day off to work on their applications.

1 Like

feeling awkward cause as a student I’m watching this parent thread :smiley:

3 Likes

And thinking parents are all crazy I am sure :joy:

3 Likes

This is where I put my crazy so I don’t get it all over my student. Hopefully you can use that to maybe understand a little of the depth of thought behind your parent’s carefully neutral questions about your thought process for college. :wink:

7 Likes

Curious if people’s schools use Naviance and if so, do your schools give parents a code to create a parent account?
Got a welcome Juniors letter from the guidance counselor that mentioned some things that were on Naviance, and went to see if I had an account (we did at my daughter’s BS, but my son is at public). I emailed the counselor for a code and he responded that they have never given parents access. He said he would try again to pursue it- I guess someone above him thinks parents don’t need it. I found it somewhat useful when DD23 was applying. And DS25’s letter from the counselor mentioned that college visits to the school and other info would be available there. So annoying that the school thinks parents don’t need access.

1 Like

Can you share access with your son?

1 Like

My daughter’s high school did. Check with your school.