Parents of the HS Class of 2025

Yes, all the private schools around here use it and so does the most competitive public magnet. The parents have a login tied to their student’s data(so you see your student’s dot but the student account is the one that can make the actual college list and manage the schools, with the HS counselor). The parent account can see the naviance data for the past 3-4 yrs, and access happens in freshman year, as does awareness of the school profile (ie the general understanding of relative gpa ans rank even though the school doesn’t officially disclose rank beyond decile).

The rest of my comment explained that they don’t.

I am sure he would share his login, but I prefer my own. I don’t want access to his stuff.

My daughter is at a public school, and they give parents access to Naviance

We have Naviance but nothing has been explained to the parents about it. I believe at some point this year they will explain it to the kids. I do not (yet, if ever) have access to it, although have used D25’s account to look at it.

I’d never even heard of it until i read the Selingo book. I think our ISD is an outlier in Texas however.

true haha and got the idea that all parents care for their children in one way or another, and for all the parents here I guess their kids are actually lucky to have such considerate parents :laughing:

yeah it’s gonna be super tough for the next two years ahead and I hope all the students my age can get amazing results and all the hard work is gonna get paid off

2 Likes

Also in Texas and as far as I know, we don’t have Naviance. All our grads go to A&M, UT, or Texas State so not sure what we’d get out of it lol.

No Naviance here, either.

1 Like

Our HS used Naviance during the tenure of my 3 kids, then switched to SCOIR just this term. I don’t have access to the latter since the youngest just graduated HS, but those I know who do say it’s even better.

Overall, we found it a very useful tool for calibrating what is a reach, match or safety for our students baed on their exact school’s results. The schools also used it as an interface for linking to the Common App for sending letters of rec and for getting the student and parent brag sheets for the GC letter. Most of the useful data was in the scattergrams where you can filter out different categories out outcomes to really see what lever of stats makes the cut off for your particular HS which might be very different than the general population.

At our school the regular academic “Student Portal” login came with separate logins for parent vs. student.

Then, the Naviance access was a separate access altogether, provided by Guidance later, so we were “fine” with sharing just that.

My school district (in WA) does use Naviance. It is something that the students fill out and access. Our district does not give parents access to it. (Presumably some parents use their children’s login to look at stuff, but I’m not one of those parents.)

I think our district sees “your future as an adult” as something the kid should manage, not something the parents should be elbows-deep in.

I happen to agree with the district and let S22 manage things. I plan to do the same with S25.

I also do not want to use his account or interfere or do stuff for him. I was only even allowed to read my D23 main essay when she was ready to submit, and I never saw any of her portals etc…
The parent Naviance account is very limited but had a lot of interesting data that could be viewed about school specific acceptance rates, application numbers and test scores to all colleges kids apply to from that HS.

No naviance here.

The post graduation plan is all my kids ideas. If they choose college, I just mostly lead the list due to financials and my work benefit. My kids are free to add or subtract to the list.

D25 is on top of things and organizes well so i dont foresee a bit issue with college apps for her.

Our local public has Naviance (not sure if parents have access, as my kid there is too young), but D25’s charter school doesn’t. I’d be bummed to not have access at all for S27 (at the public HS), although I don’t really care if I need to use his log-in, but D25’s school has such a huge breadth of students’ abilities that I’m not sure it would be super helpful anyway.

We have Naviance and parents can get access. I have never bothered, because my kids all are still using the same login and password for everything at the school that was assigned to them in elementary school. They know I get on Naviance and look, and that I never do anything except look.

I suppose I could use that same login to see the regular stuff that they have. Canvas I think? I have never bothered with that. They make it very easy for parents to see grades and missing assignments, I haven’t ever felt the need to take the time to dig into the details on their classes.

College on the other hand… If you have a kid who doesn’t necessarily want to follow the well trod path at your HS, the parent has to get somewhat involved. I think of myself as a bit of a wisdom giving source of advice, but also frequently as a research secretary. Our counselors don’t know much outside of their box. I had to argue to have them allow D21 to apply for more than one school EA, they didn’t understand the difference between SCEA, ED, EA. They told her they were all the same thing. No knowledge of LAC’s except for a couple essentially open admission ones that are somewhat local.

Plus even though my kids are likely taking 4 different paths, there is a decent amount of overlap in the research, especially at the initial stage. No need for them to manage a full slate of EC’s, AP’s, and also do all of the research on their own. If I already know a bunch of schools that don’t work, I can give a quick explanation of why, and they save all of the time to figure it out on their own.

3 Likes

Yes! Mine wants to apply to service academies and JROTC scholarship. Which is SO different than the regular college process. And so much more involved with many steps and deadlines. I was also the researcher for schools for my D23, finding schools that would be affordable, but never looked at anything she was doing for the actual application process.

2 Likes

How did everyone do on the SAT? D25 got a decent score but less than anticipated in English. She’s pretty disappointed. Looks like she’ll be taking it again. UGH.

My D25 asked me to email her counselor to see what we can do to request a paper ACT and not online. She has always had a low processing speed and says the online tests are very difficult for her to read and think through questions properly. We are expecting an average score for her but she still thinks she can do better than a 15-17 which is what she has been scoring in pre ACT online. She is my solid 3.0 gpa kid.

Score is frustratingly not out yet.