Parents of the HS Class of 2025

My son took a full SAT digital practice test today, with the Bluebook software from College Board and everything. He really liked it and said it was a lot easier. He said math was super easy, and then there were a few weird hard problems thrown in at the end.

He liked it so much that he said he doesn’t want to take the paper test next month…but I’m making him do it because it’s at his own school and so much easier to manage. He can retake in spring if he wants.

1 Like

I’m very curious to see what D25’s digital score will be compared to the paper test she just took. I"m also interested to see if colleges will superscore the same way. Her math score was pretty darn good this time around and I know she could do 100 points better on the English section. If they would superscore those she’d be way up there with her score.

Keep rearranging the list. Wants criminal justice with dance minor or dance team/troupe or classes to take. 3.0 gpa. Will likely have to go test optional. Hoping to keep under 25k total cost.
Numbers are not order of preference.

1. Quinnipiac U
  2. Mercer U
  3. Bellarmine U
  4. Endicott College
  5. St. Louis U
  6. Creighton U
  7. Le Moyne (NY)
  8. Dean (MA)
  9. Salve Regina U
  10. Roger Williams U
  11. U of St. Thomas-TX
  12. Dominican
  13. Butler
  14. Florida Southern
  15. St. Mary’s TX
  16. University of St. Thomas MN
  17. Xavier
  18. Ohio Northern
  19. University of New Haven
  20. Mercyhurst
  21. Shenandoah
  22. Wayne State (MI)
  23. Elmhurst (IL)
  24. St. Bonaventure (NY)
  25. Lindenwood
  26. Dickinson ¶
  27. Point Park
  28. York College of PA

Other Schools to consider:

1. U of Minnesota-TC
  2. Minnesota State-Mankato
  3. Ball State
  4. Western Carolina University
  5. U of Louisiana-Lafayette
  6. North Dakota State U
  7. University of Nebraska-Omaha
  8. University of Nebraska-Lincoln
  9. Wichita State
6 Likes

that’s a big list! Have you visited any of them yet?

My goal is to get the list under 20. Some i think will easily come off as MSEP requires certain ACT score to get reduced tuition option. Others she will not be competitive for TE award which will cut it out.

Shes visited Le Moyne on her list and will tour Bellermine soon. She was able to tour a handful of schools with her brother so she knows what she likes and what she doesnt. She now gets to sift through info online to make final cuts.

3 Likes

My hermit D25 has grown by leaps and bounds these past few months. She went away to summer camp for her sport and had an amazing time. She’s having more adult-like relationships with her coaching team. She went to her first college recruiter presentation and signed up herself to the college for more information! And she has an interview today for a language-based volunteer gig. I feel like she is really coming into her own.

I hope others are seeing good growth wherever their kids are at!

8 Likes

Do we think that the practice digital PSAT scores are coming out this week?

That’s a huge list! We limited our D to 12 (which I think is a lot–she does not). She can’t add a new school unless one comes off and can explain why.

Continuing the theme of “school districts do things differently” – I got an email an hour ago saying if we wanted our 11th grader to take the PSAT, I had to pay $18 (or get my kid into the office to get a fee waiver) by EOD tomorrow.

Which seems a little short notice, if you ask me.

2 Likes

We had one week-ish to pay $20 for it.

But at least the PSAT had been on the calendar in the school’s monthly newsletter for a while, it’s just the fee that wasn’t. (Though our family knew it was likely, having been through this multiple times before.)

1 Like

At least you got an email about it. Some places would just rely on their kids to inform the parents which, unfortunately, isn’t the best idea since a lot of kids wouldn’t relay the message.

Our school took care of registering for the PSAT. I guess they just eat the cost or maybe it’s a state law that everyone has to take it or something. Who knows.

2 Likes

My daughter got her practice digital PSAT score today. It was a lot higher than her PSAT last year. I’m not sure how much is a year of learning vs the digital being easier.

1 Like

It’s hard to make something out of that. Most kids will raise the PSAT score significantly between 10th and 11th grades. Even more so if Algebra 2 was not completed in 9th grade.

2 Likes

S22’s score went down 10 points from sophomore to junior year. But he’s weird. lol

1 Like

Maybe he took a nap that morning :wink:

If happens, of course, but I don’t believe that is the norm.

This might be a silly question, but my S25 has the option to take either the PSAT or SAT through school. He is not a strong standardized test taker, and my gut tells me he will apply test optional to schools that allow it. Would there be any reason to take the PSAT over the SAT?

Only benefit of the PSAT is if you get a very strong score and become a National Merit Semifinalist and use it to chase major merit scholarships. If you think that’s extremely unlikely, there’s no benefit. That said, if the expectation is to apply test optional, there would be no benefit to the SAD either (if you’re confident all the targeted schools are test optional – some aren’t.)

1 Like

So how long did the scores ultimately take?

I think our PSAT is just about 4 weeks away now.

It took just over a month.

Well maybe this is weird but my kid is taking the October SAT and then the PSAT the following week. It’s in-school and free so I figured why not. He’s already taken the SAT once and did all right so I’m hoping this might be the last time. Now if he’d only study for it…

7 Likes