Parents of the HS Class of 2025

Missouri is 1104. I’m guessing kids only take it if they think they are competitive?

I know smart kids who dropped 80-100 points over last year.

The 50th percentile in TN in 2022 was 1110 on the PSAT. Only 4% of students in TN take the SAT. It’s a big ACT state. (But my son said the ACT was “10 times harder” than the SAT." I guess to each their own!) Not sure if this impacts how many students take the PSAT in TN.

Thank you everyone. I guess we have to wait until next week.

I just found college board reports (it’s quite granular and interesting) indicating mean PSAT/NMSQT in NJ were 1026 in 2020-2021 and 947 in 2021-2022

My son did not enjoy the pace of the ACT. The content itself tends to be more straightforward IMO.

1 Like

WA Average is 1024. Most kids do take the SAT here not the ACT. Our district average was 1061 which seems quite high given that we do not live in a wealthy area overall.

My son continues his great but not amazing test taking with a 1300.

1 Like

PSAT average by state:

US = 987

AK =
NJ = 959
MO = 1104
TN =
WA = 1024

It says Texas average is 948. Our school and district are above that.

Compass Prep is the site everyone uses to predict index for their state. Texas will probably be 219 or 220 this year, so S25 made the cutoff. Texas is very SAT heavy and almost every school offers the school day PSAT.

1 Like

Maybe that has something to do with the lower averages. In states where the ACT is popular, maybe only those taking a shot at NMSQT take the test.

I’m curious is Compass Prep’s prediction on commended cutoff of 208 will hold. He also brought up the point of failed administrations and the possibility for increased Alternate Entries.

1 Like

I don’t have many details as D25 is still at school but she got a 220 index with a score of 1480. Last year’s cut off for National Merrit in IL was a 219 index ( I think) so she’s above that but I don’t know how things will play out this year.

She scored perfect on math. Too bad these scores couldn’t get her out of her APUSH exam today. lol

2 Likes

Congrats! Curious what their score was, 1500?

For us 1500 = 224 (740 EBRW and 760 math) Had it been the other way around SI would have bumped to 226. It definitely favors those stronger in English.

1 Like

interesting. I’ll have to look at D’s breakdown when she gets home. She only told me perfect in math so that would make English what, 720 for her 1480?

Correct. 2(72)+76=220

Cool idea, @TonyGrace

PSAT average by state:

US = 987

AK = 1054
NJ = 959
MO = 1104
TN =
WA = 1024

760 RW/700 M—as noted elsewhere, the selection index favors those who are stronger in language. (Or, perhaps better, stronger in English as far as the test coverage goes—my kid’s “shortfall” in math was from algebra, not any of the higher-level stuff.:person_shrugging:)

Also, kind of bizarre that Alaska’s average is higher than the national average, that’s unusual. But, of course, these may shift around as the second batch of testers come in.

1 Like

I think this is a common theme with this class and the one following it. Covid really impacted how well they learned the fundamentals.

I think whomever commented on this upthread may be correct. In certain states, students on the lower end may not bother with the test, while the PSAT is pretty widely administered in NJ.

1 Like

Last year, AK participation in the NMSQT was 20%, contrast that with NJ where it was 73%

2 Likes

Could be. Also, my kid’s last algebra class was in 8th grade, so it’s not like much of it is something in even long-term memory, you know?

Which is one reason I don’t like the way the PSAT is also the NMSQT (even if it works out in my favor this time)—the PSAT’s coverage assumes a certain path and pacing through subject material in high school, which is designed to filter out students at the low end, but also can penalize students at the high end.

2 Likes

I think it’s aligned with most of the country?