Parking for Freshmen?

<p>To resurrect this thread, has any freshman parked their car at the MetroLink for the year. Are there any other options? What about a motorcycle, or vespa for frosh. on campus?</p>

<p>What for? You don’t really need one. There are several good options for getting around.

1. metrolink is great and right there
  2. Everything a freshman might need can be gotten on campus or via Metrolink
  3. you can rent a zipcar on campus very reasonably if you need to get somewhere further afield.
  4. you’ll get to know upperclassmates that have cars
  5. believe it or not you’ll be so busy with class, clubs, socializing with people that want to hang on or around campus that you won’t miss one.
    This comes from my son who really wanted to bring his car as a freshman. Now he is happy he didn’t.</p>

<p>What for? ANSWER: Zipcar = $80/day for a Focus…I don’t think so. That can add up to $500/mo. (and you are restricted). OUCH! </p>

<p>Why be dependent on upper-classmates? We see things very differently.</p>

<p>If you are a resident I’ve heard that that some condominiums around campus rent parking. Commuters can get parking passes, I do not thing however that those can be swapped.</p>

<p>^WasatchSk1er, Please don’t misunderstand…you wouldn’t use zipcar as your monthly form of transportation…that would be insane. It does serve to fill a 1 off need for a car on a w/e end say to go a see a concert in Ft. Lauderdale…
I’m still curious as to what you’d be doing that you need a car as a Freshman. If you are living off campus and drive onto campus each day then sure. Or if you had a job in Miami as a freshman then sure that makes sense too.</p>

<p>Just as devil’s advocate: Key West; diving in Pennekamp; Key Biscayne; in fact any of the Keys; Biking in the everglades; visiting friends/relatives on the west coast; any type of off-campus nightlife, etc., etc.,
I only say this because everyone I know who is a Hurricane (or who lives in So. FL.) says that a car is definitely a benefit, and arguably essential</p>

<p>Speaking as a sophomore with a car and who didn’t have a car freshman year: a car is most certainly NOT essential. If you really want to do those things, I can almost guarantee you can find an upperclassman that would want to do those things with you (me, for example). I survived freshman year without a car, and I utilized the Metrorail, Zipcars, and the bus system without any issues. Is a car more convenient now that I have one? Definitely. Essential? Hardly.</p>