Pell grant and other need based grants go away with tuition scholarship?

I just wanted to verify that when I fill out the price net calculator for other schools, I usually get a small pell grant and mayne some others but when I do the NPC for Alabama and no pell grant. I wanted to verify the reason the pell is not showing is because there is now no need with the full tuition scholarship or is this something that is added on at another time. Thanks again and again!! ROLL TIDE!

Pell is an entitlement from the federal govt, so if you qualify for it you get it, period. Schools can adjust their own aid but they cannot take away your Pell grant.

Also, even if you have a full tuition scholarship you may still have “need” because there is room and board, books, transportation and personal expenses in the COA. People who qualify for Pell would still have need. But sorry I don’t know why the NPC wouldn’t show it. Maybe it is very conservative.

Need = COA - scholarships - EFC

You get the Pell Grant no matter what. If your FAFSA will show that you have an EFC that is Pell eligible, then you’d get that award.

What is your EFC?

Are you sure that you’re putting in the same income/assets numbers?

Does the Bama NPC ask you if you already know your EFC? If so, put that in.

What amount of Pell is the other NPC’s showing you?

[QUOTE=""]
wanted to verify the reason the pell is not showing is because there is now no need with the full tuition scholarship

[/QUOTE]

If you qualify for a small Pell, then your EFC would be below 5700. If you get a full tuition scholarship, then there certainly still would be need. Room, board, books, etc would certainly cost more than Pell.

From your other thread, you indicated that your AGI is about 45k and that there are 5 in household.

When I ran the NPC on Bama’s website indicating non-retirement savings under the threshold to change EFC, I got the following:

Grants and Scholarships Fall    Spring  Total
Presidential Scholar:   $12,475 $12,475 $24,950
Federal Pell Grant: $1,940  $1,940  $3,880
Total Grants & Scholarships:    $14,415 $14,415 $28,830

and, of course, this doesn’t show the 2500 per year for eng’g.

Of course, if you have a lot in savings/investments (non retirement) and you have a large annual contribution to 401k-like accounts, then maybe that’s changing your results?

You might try running FAFSA (for the current school year) to see what EFC you’d get. It wouldn’t take you long at all to do since it can pull up your filed tax info. You would have to get your PINs, but if you did that today, you’d probably be able to run FAFSA online tomorrow.

You can definitely get a Pell (if you qualify) and a merit scholarship at UA. I’m getting both. UA just doesn’t really give out institutional aid.

If @rockhoundmom comes back, she may be able to clarify some things. If she put in the family’s AGI (about $45k), and they don’t have much in assets, and they don’t make big retirement contributions each year, then the calculations are rather simple and they should qualify for a Pell Grant of about $3800.

If they do have savings beyond the protected amounts, then those will get assessed at around 6%. 401k or similar retirement contributions would have their own calculations.

I think that if she runs the 2015-16 FAFSA now, she’d get a good idea as to what their EFC will be.

Thank you. I will go straight to the source. It is so confusing, putting in the same info for every school and getting different answers from each.

To answer mom2’s questions DH got a raise this year of about 10%, 10% to a pretax retirement fund thru work(is that big?), some savings but less than one years salary. The only big asset we have is our lower middle class home.