Penn State Class of 2027 Official Thread

My son got into the same major back in Nov. It’s a great major and unique to the NE area. Lots of potential job opportunities after graduation. We signed up for the admitted students day on April 3rd, the only day we could make it due to his crazy hockey schedule Feb/March. Here’s some data for that specific college.

Quick question. Kiddo got into Harrisburg 2+2. What is the process for asking for a reconsideration? Would it be beneficial to send in his most recent grades? Major was Mediterranean studies, but could go in any number of fields. would love to be it the 4+1 B.A. in Classics and Ancient Mediterranean Studies /M.A. in Anthropology. Do we ask to change to DUS?

You mentioned in another thread that you wanted to keep costs at $20-25,000 per year. Penn State main campus would be over $50,000 per year. Harrisburg would probably be at least $40,000 per year. It doesn’t appear that either one is within your preferred budget. I also think that Mediterranean Studies is probably less competitive than DUS.

1 Like

Finances have changed a bit. The 4+1 program is also a factor .

1 Like

Does anyone know when engineering scholarships are typically awarded? And has anyone received provost award yet? Does anyone know if this comes out with aid package that we are supposed to get this week? Thanks!

1 Like

Penn State does not look at or consider mid-year grades for anyone. Also, DUS will be more competitive than Mediterranean Studies. Also, acceptance at the freshman level won’t be for the 4+1. It will only be for the undergraduate major. Your student would have to complete many more requirements before they could apply for the graduate year. You can see those requirements here: Anthropology | Penn State

What were your son’s stats (GPA and test scores if any)? That may help us advise you. But in general, the major he applied for would be less competitive for admission than DUS so reconsideration to DUS would likely be unsuccessful. But you can always try.

2 Likes

Hey! I applied to PSU and submitted my common app on Nov. 1 but completed the SRAR

1 Like

Sorry I just accidentally posted an unfinished comment. As I was saying, I applied to PSU and submitted the common app on Nov.1 while I completed the SRAR a few days later. I still haven’t received a decision. Is this normal?

My son is in the exact same situation.

If you submitted your SRAR a few days later then that means you are in the regular decision pool which means you should have decision by tomorrow. I would call admissions to verify that your items were received when you think they were.

2 Likes

The exact same thing happened to my daughter’s application. We haven’t received her decision yet. We did call back in December to confirm she wasn’t going to get the decision by December 24 and said we would have it by tomorrow.

My son who just received Provost Award today. He was accepted to Environmental Science (2+2, Harrisburg → UP) at end of Oct. We’re in-state and his stats are just fair compared to most people who posted here (4.09 WGPA, 4 AP clases, eagle scout, varsity track & field). We did fill out the School of Agriculture scholarship application (not honor college) in Nov. but were not expecting any merit. Anyways, I hope you’ll hear good news soon!

1 Like

Did someone suggest that many students should hear whether they are accepted by today? Application submitted around Thanksgiving and everything (grades and tests) received in early December. Thanks in advance!

Unless everything was received by Dec. 1, it is unlikely that you will hear today. Dates & Deadlines - Undergraduate Admissions (psu.edu)

@kidzncatz thank you!!

Where would any of the merit info be located? I realize PSU does not give much but just wondering if it is there somewhere and we are not seeing it? I also assume since we were a reconsideration into UP after a satellite admission that the likelihood is even lower but again, just want to make sure we aren’t missing something!

1 Like

Right now, the Provost Award does not appear on any of the portals. It was an email received yesterday and the email said we would also receive a letter in regular mail.

2 Likes

got ya. thank you

I just spoke to admissions because my daughter still hadn’t received her decision even though they received her grades the first week of November and when we called back in December, they said we should have it the second or third week of January. They indicated that nothing has changed, that decisions will be out today, that they are releasing a big batch instead of small ones as applications are decided.

2 Likes

Thank you for posting this! After inquiring, my son was told he was bumped to regular decision because SSAR’s were a couple days late past the 11/1 deadline and that he would have a decision by 1/31. We were wondering if a decision would even come today. Good luck!