Perception of a 3.8 GPA in Med School Applications

Hi! I’m a freshman at the University of Florida, and my long-term goal is to attend medical school. I know GPAs are more scrutinized in the medical school application process, therefore I was curious how a 3.8 is regarded.

I would appreciate it if someone could take the time to respond.

Thanks!

You are a college freshman. You need to get the best grades possible so your GPA and sGPA can be the best possible. You don’t even have freshman year end of year GPA yet, right?

1 Like

No, but I have taken a lot of Dual Enrollment courses while in H.S., which is a 3.8 precisely.

I would say…you have time before you apply to medical school. In the meantime, get the best grades you can get.

1 Like

download (aamc.org)

Here are the recent medical school admission rates for various combinations of college GPA and MCAT score:
https://www.aamc.org/media/6091/download?attachment

Good enough that you are not handicapped out of the gate. Just do the best you can, now, in college. I find it very hard to believe that med schools will weight a high school dual enrollment transcript as heavily as they weigh a college transcript, especially from a highly selective, competitive college.

Stop thinking about it and look forward, not backwards.

1 Like

The grades on your DE courses will follow you to medical school. We’re these DE courses taken at a four year university, in person or online, or at a community college?