Pitt Engineering degree - is it recognized nationally or mainly regionally?

Hello,
I am trying to advise my son who has his college choice narrowed down to 2 schools, Pitt vs SUNY Buffalo (UB). His major will be Mechanical Engineering and both schools have decent US News engineering rankings (#48 Pitt vs #62 UB). For the sake of this discussion let’s take college cost out of the equation. He’s looking to relocate to the Tampa area immediately after graduation. My feeling is that the Pitt alumni network and/or degree recognition will be greater than UB in the southeast US, when trying get job interviews. Just looking for opinions or anecdotes.

Thanks in advance!

The answer is nationally.

But the truth is who cares.

If it’s ABET accredited and both will be in many disciplines - it doesn’t matter if it’s Boise State. It matters less on the school. In fact, there’s a parent on here whose kid chose UB from California - and had zero issues going back home.

Much of the hiring today - especially when you are targeting an area - is done via indeed and linkedin. My son is in the south - interviewed with 20 companies in the Fall - working for a Cleveland based company in a leadership program - 4 rotations in four locations over two years, the first in Utah. The where you attend - whether Buffalo, Pitt, South Florida, Nebraska, Arizona, Montana - etc. in today’s world - will not preclude anyone from working anywhere. Scary to me but of the 15 or 17 2nd interviews my son got and who went further - only one brought him in - to Wisconsin. The rest were all done on zoom - the entire process. All 5 offers came from Zoom interviews. The one who flew him in he didn’t get - but he appreciated being able to see the area, facilities and meet people. The world is very different today. This isn’t happening.

But make no mistake - a lot of companies have offices in a city but plants widespread so it will depend on your discipline and what’s available in the area.

In fact, my son interviewed with a company that showed Tampa but had plants in the Northeast and NC as well and he went to a school in the South. He got the interview from indeed, not school.

In this case, you should go where you want. Engineering works that way. Outside of a few schools, the where means little.

The accreditation, however, is important for certain engineering majors (especially mechanical). Here is for both. Good luck.

Pitt is ABET accredited in the following:

• Bioengineering (BSE)

Accredited: Oct 1, 1999 – Present

Expand

• Chemical Engineering (BSE)

Accredited: Oct 1, 1936 – Present

• As Chemical Engineering (BS) Oct 1, 1936 – Mar 31, 1993
  • As Chemical Engineering (BSE) Apr 1, 1993 – Present

Expand

• Civil Engineering (BSE)

• As Civil and Environmental Engineering (BS) Apr 1, 1993 – Mar 31, 1999
  • As Civil Engineering (BS) Oct 1, 1936 – Mar 31, 1993
  • As Civil Engineering (BSE) Apr 1, 1999 – Present

Expand

• Computer Engineering (BSE)

Accredited: Oct 1, 1998 – Present

Expand

• Electrical Engineering (BSE)

• As Electrical Engineering (BS) Oct 1, 1936 – Mar 31, 1993
  • As Electrical Engineering (BSE) Apr 1, 1993 – Present

Expand

• Engineering Science (BSE)

Accredited: Apr 1, 2014 – Present

Expand

• Environmental Engineering (BSE)

Accredited: Oct 1, 2016 – Present

Expand

• Industrial Engineering (BSE)

• As Industrial Engineering (BS) Oct 1, 1936 – Mar 31, 1993
  • As Industrial Engineering (BSE) Apr 1, 1993 – Present

Expand

• Materials Science and Engineering (BSE)

Accredited: Oct 1, 1988 – Present

• As Materials Science and Engineering (BS) Oct 1, 1988 – Mar 31, 1993
  • As Materials Science and Engineering (BSE) Apr 1, 1993 – Present

Expand

• Mechanical Engineering (BSE)

• As Mechanical Engineering (BS) Oct 1, 1936 – Mar 31, 1993
  • As Mechanical Engineering (BSE) Apr 1, 1993 – Present

Buffalo is ABET accredited in the following:

• Aerospace Engineering (BS)

Accredited: Oct 1, 1965 – Present

Expand

• Biomedical Engineering (BS)

Accredited: Oct 1, 2013 – Present

Expand

• Chemical Engineering (BS)

Accredited: Oct 1, 1966 – Present

Expand

• Civil Engineering (BS)

Accredited: Oct 1, 1963 – Present

Expand

• Computer Engineering (BS)

Accredited: Oct 1, 2001 – Present

Expand

• Computer Science (BS)

Accredited: Oct 1, 2013 – Present

Expand

• Electrical Engineering (BS)

Accredited: Oct 1, 1965 – Present

Expand

• Environmental Engineering (BS)

Accredited: Oct 1, 2001 – Present

Expand

• Industrial Engineering (BS)

Accredited: Oct 1, 1966 – Present

Expand

• Mechanical Engineering (BS)

Accredited: Oct 1, 1964 – Present

2 Likes

Is there a Pitt alumni chapter in Tampa? Is it active? If not, then I don’t think it will make a big difference. Also, what else is on the table? Honors? Named scholar etc.? Just for perspective, my son got into NCSU for spring (his dream school for engineering) and Alabama. Alabama offered him a ton of money and honors. Plus, the alumni network in the Raleigh area is very active with many engineers. So, he chose Bama. If your son wants to work in Tampa then what’s wrong with USF? Did he apply there?

Rankings are overrated for engineering. They mean absolutely nothing. For example, UNC is “ranked” by USN for engineering even though they do not have an engineering program! The only engineering degree they offer (BME) is in collaboration with NCSU. So, go figure!

You will find someone from Pittsburgh anywhere you go. When the steel mills and mines closed there was a mass exodus.

Both schools are fine for engineering. Which one does he like better?

OP here, these are excellent thoughts. My son has visited both schools twice and has a weighted list of Pros/Cons. They are coming out about equal, and this one factor of alumni or degree recognition, in a distant region of the country is something he’s looking to weigh. And yes he also recognizes the importance of co-op experience, so that will be a given wherever he goes.

Based on the responses it seems like other factors are probably a more important consideration than eventual name recognition during his job search post-graduation.

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses.

Co op is not important unless you don’t intern.

You need work experience. There are advantages and disadvantages to co oping.

My son refused. It’s no issue.

If you don’t intern tho, it’d be an issue.

But co op or intern, I’m not sure matters. That’s kid specific.

Fwiw, yes, with listed upcoming events.
https://www.alumni.pitt.edu/s/1729/alumni/interior.aspx?sid=1729&gid=2&pgid=4789

1 Like

This.

1 Like

What are the cons of co-oping?

I wouldn’t say anything bad. Every kid is different.

My son didn’t want to co op because it extends the academic career. You are gone and come back having missed school and not keeping up with their friends.

My son didn’t want that - so he interned during the summers and kept steady with his schooling. Had 5 job offers before he stopped at Christmas so his spring could be easy.

Many take co ops and that leads to a full time position at that organization.

I wouldn’t say one is right or wrong. It totally depends on the kid.

Here is co-op at my son’s school.

Requirements - Engineering Career Development Center (ua.edu)

1 Like