Planetary Science/Geophysics

We are finalizing our list for D24. We think we have it completed. However, we have hit a bit of a curve ball. D24 is considering planetary science/geophysics. In other words, she wants to study other planets and planetary bodies. This has always been an interest of hers, realizing it is something you can do has sent us down this rabbit hole. Better now than later, right? So, what schools to look at?

D24 has a 34 on the ACT, is an IB candidate, 3.9 unweighted GPA, and National Merit Commended. She is a certified master diver, rock climber, and has won numerous art awards. We live in Tennessee. Our hard budget is $50k/yr.

I believe Arizona is definitely on this list. What other programs should she consider? Thanks.

Would need-based aid get you to 50K or less at generous full-need-met schools? Or are you not eligible for need-based aid, such that you’ll have to get within budget based on sticker price minus merit?

Purdue seems like another to consider, This solar system rocks - Purdue University News and cost would be in range.

Thanks. We don’t qualify for need based aid.

On the undergraduate level, foundational sciences such as physics, chemistry and, more specifically, geosciences, would most support advanced study in planetary science. For this reason, I recommend that your daughter look into colleges with strong geosciences departments as she refines her college list.

1 Like

There a few options in Atlanta, if she is interested in an urban location.

Agnes Scott (if open to HWC) - It has its own observatory/planetarium for astronomical teaching and research, but also cross registration with GaTech and Emory if interested in additional resources. Very good chance of meeting budget with merit.

GaTech - It has an observatory and interdisciplinary major that may be of interest. Cross registration with the Atlanta consortium schools if interested. Would be more difficult to meet budget, but possible with department and/or competitive scholarships.

Emory - It has an observatory and degree in astronomy/physics. Cross registration with the Atlanta consortium. Would need competitive merit to meet budget.

1 Like

U. of Texas - Austin: It’d be a reach for admission and you’d also need a big enough scholarship to get in-state tuition, but if she did get those, she’d be pretty golden.

Texas A&M: I think your daughter’s chances for a sufficiently large scholarship to get in-state tuition are greater here and they have very good offerings.

U. of Houston: I think this is a highly likely admit and that they’d be pretty interested in courting your daughter. Well within budget at sticker.

U. of Nevada - Reno
U. of Oklahoma
Michigan Tech
Saint Louis (MO)
Southern Methodist (TX)
U. of Tulsa (OK)

Geology / earth science departments may have different emphases. Not all of them may have much of a focus on other planets, so check each department carefully for whether that is a focus area. For example, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology has a strong earth science department with a large number of faculty and course offerings, but not much for other planetary science.

1 Like

S23 is attending Arizona for Astronomy. But we were also impressed with the earth and space exploration program at ASU:
https://sese.asu.edu/degree/undergrad/bs-earth--space-exploration

We felt ASU was more oriented towards planetary science whereas Arizona has more emphasis on observational astronomy. Easily within budget with the $15.5K presidential scholarship based on her ACT score.

2 Likes

Planetary science is a convergent field in which those with extensive knowledge of fields such as physics, chemistry and geosciences contribute. Geoscientists with an interest in planetary science begin by developing an understanding of the materials and processes of the most immediate planet, Earth. On the undergraduate level, astronomy electives are likely also to be of interest. In any case, a student with a strong knowledge of foundational sciences will ultimately be able to contribute more to planetary science than a student who approaches the field on the undergraduate level too specifically.

If it’s a 3.9 as U of A calculates and not 3.89, you’ll be in at $25-27k all in so that’s a steal of you visit and like.

I’d also look at Florida Tech in Melbourne - with merit you should be ok. Purdue already mentioned. UMN. And Ohio State for a certificate.

Even UTK could work with geology and planetary courses.

Good luck.

“Even UTK could work with geology and planetary courses.”

Oh, heck yes. Here is a link to the UTK Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences: https://eps.utk.edu/. UTK’s Department of EPS is probably the leading planetary science program in the Southeast, and one of the top in the nation; it has a Planetary Geoscience Institute, here, https://pgi.utk.edu/, as well as several faculty members who do research on various aspects of Mars, here, Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences | The University of Tennessee, Knoxville.

Plus, the OP’s daughter would be able to pay in-state tuition, plus qualify for the Hope Scholarship.

5 Likes

I somehow missed this. Thanks.

1 Like

I will send you a PM.

Except that I seem to have forgotten how to do that. If I can figure it out, I will. :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.