Please Chance me for Andover, Exeter, Choate, Deerfield, and Lawrenceville

Hi, I’m an eighth grader who is applying as a freshman for all of these schools. I am aware of how competitive they are, but I’m really eager to apply. I only had about two months to prepare so here are my stats. I am residing in a very competitive public school in New Jersey.
I moved from Korea in sixth grade, so I don’t have grades for that. All of the admissions offices said it was fine. My seventh-grade grades were kind of mid. I only had an A+ in math (Algebra 2 in seventh grade)social studies, band, and all of my IAs. However, everything else was just an A. I was part of my school’s high honor roll. I am the only one in my middle school taking Precalc right now. Thus, I have an amazing relationship with my math teacher. He literally told me that he would write the most phenomenal recommendation. I also have a good relationship with my language arts teacher who would give me an above-average recommendation. This year, I have all A+s except LA and French.
I’m the captain of my school’s math team. I have an honor roll and a distinguished honor roll for AMC 8. I have an Achievement roll for AMC 10 and this year I got the award of distinction as well
as qualifying for the AIME. I also participated in numerous math competitions and got the silver medal in MathCON Nationals. Also, I got 7th in the BCA (Number 1 public high school on Niche in 2021, I was originally considering only applying here) math competition.
I am part of Philosophy Honors conducted by my math teacher.
I am part of Exploravision which is a science club preparing for the competition Exploravision.
I participate in my school’s band, jazz band, and philharmonic orchestra. I sent of video of me playing my trumpet on a competition piece that was used for all-state auditions, and for my region, region band audition. I think I did quite fine on it. I played the trumpet for five years.
I also played tennis for five years, but I don’t have any awards. I play in my local club because I came to America barely a year ago. However, I am quite confident in my skills for varsity.
I also alpine ski. I’m on my state ski team. I qualified for the eastern conference playoffs and got first place in the state. (I know only Deerfield has a ski team)
I was the captain of a ski camp in the summer that was taking place in the Alpes in France. It was a sleepaway camp for 7 weeks. The camp was quite prestigious with a few youth national candidates. I got the CTY honors award and everything but the camp got canceled this year because the professor dipped :frowning:
I got a 98% on the SSAT but I kinda flunked my first ISEE, which I didn’t submit. I did take another ISEE which I’m pending.
I sang in some hospitals for community service, and I gave out gifts in a Spanish church for Christmas.
I personally think my essays are quite moving. I went to four different schools in NJ, NY, and Seoul. Both public and private so that is a strength in acknowledging diversity and adapting in new environments for my essay.
I was class president for 6 years straight in Korea.
Sadly, I didn’t know boarding schools had financial aid, so I applied barely two months ago. So I don’t have a legacy and I’m applying for financial aid.
I only had three interviews, I have Lawrenceville and Choate coming up, but since I applied late they’re both online.
Andover was my first interview. I honestly felt like I nailed it. I was in there for like 20 minutes more than everyone else and I was able to ask a lot of questions. My interviewer acknowledged a lot of my math skills, but I feel like I don’t have good enough ECs.
Exeter was the very next day. I didn’t flunk it but I gave the archetypal interview. A little above average I guess. He told me that he really agreed with my answers and luckily he liked skiing, but it wasn’t the best. Exeter was my dream school so it was kind of sad.
Deerfield was probably my most outstanding interview. I stayed for over an hour debating about Justice by Michael Sandel. He totally agreed with my perspective on virtue so that was a good sign. He also told me how desperate they needed a trumpet and a skier. I don’t know if he tells this to everyone, but he told me that I had an outstanding interview and to keep Deerfield “On top of my list, and he will keep me on top of his list”
I kind of knew Deerfield was probably my best fit, but I can’t let go of my craving for both of the Phillips academies.
I have seen other applicants with way more community work and better results in fine arts and sports. I see myriads of other kids getting into AIME so I don’t know if the schools will care. I know I have a lot missing, and I am really looking forward to some straightforward, Asian-mom advice so please give me some advice. Thank you so much.

Just in case you are wondering I don’t have safety because I am also applying to a public magnet school that is one of the best in the nation. The acceptance rate is also surprisingly low at 15%, but I have almost a guaranteed chance since they take a lot of students from my school and I can almost guarantee. I feel like this school might be better than some other safety boarding schools so I am also hoping for it.

1 Like

I’m a boarding-school non-Asian Dad, not an Asian Mom, but here goes anyway:

I think you have a good chance to get into one or more of these schools. You’ve done great with the opportunities you’ve had; you have a great academic record and academic extracurriculars; and, if you have a reasonable estimate of your own abilities with a tennis racket and the trumpet (you should probably reach out to the tennis coaches), you actually have good non-academic extracurriculars. Congratulations on all you’ve accomplished! Great job.

Please keep in mind that each of the five schools you’ve selected is extremely selective, with acceptance rates probably of about 10% to 16%. Most applicants are academically qualified, so even a “good” chance doesn’t mean acceptance is highly likely to any one school in particular, just considerably better than average. In other words, don’t take it personally if March 10 (decision day) doesn’t go as well as you would have hoped. However, from what I can tell, each of these schools would be fortunate to have you, and I do think you’ll have something to smile about on March 10. Regardless, you’ll go far in life if you keep up the spirit that has you doing all of these great things!

4 Likes

I think you will have very strong choices among boarding schools!

The usual advice to expand to another school or two since you need financial aid.

1 Like

wait A is “mid”? Our school’s grades goes up to 100 percentage yet it’s all just “A”. So anything 93+ is A, 96-100 is still A… And if your teachers like you and you get strong recommendations those will speak more than A+

I agree with VisibleName2

Thank you so much, though I do have a great local magnet school to which I’m applying, but I’ll consider it!

Thank you, I was kind of worried about my language arts A.

Thank you so much for the good words, I’ll take everything into consideration. I’m more than thankful to have this experience of admissions before college!

Hi! I’m also applying to some of the same schools this year, and although I probably won’t be much help, I think you have an awesome chance in getting in. My sister goes to Andover, and personally, you have a much better record (not deliberately dissing my sister… hehe…) But anyways, good luck! Results are coming soon, and I hope you receive the best!
p.s. I’m Korean American! Nice to meet you!