Please Chance me for VT's CoE! Thanks!

<p>Looking into applying to the CoE @ Virginia Tech at the regular decision deadline while I wait to hear back from EA schools. </p>

<p>OOS Applicant -- Pennsylvania
GPA: 4.0 (unweighted)
Class Rank: School does not rank, but guessing Top 5-10%
SAT: 2050 (1320 M/R score)
Honors Classes: English 1, English 2, Latin 2, Greek 1, Greek 2,
AP Classes: Language and Comp (4), US Government (5), Psychology, Literature
Attend a top-tier Jesuit College Prep School </p>

<p>1st quarter senior year: 100 in Calculus and a 93 in Physics</p>

<p>Not going to type out all activities, but am pretty involved in school:</p>

<p>Assistant Captain of sports team
Student leadership position
National Honor Society
Retreat leader
Tutor
Winner of multiple National Latin/Greek Exam awards
Credentialed Sports blogger (NHL)
Broadcaster for school football games
Estimating 250 hours of service
Travel to do service in other states (Florida, Louisiana, etc.)
Part-time job as cashier</p>

<p>Letters of Rec Writers: Junior year math and english teachers</p>

<p>Thanks again!</p>

<p>Does 4.0 un-weighted mean you had a full A in every single class during the HS? Or, are you on some other grading scale? The most important SAT score will be your Math component. What was that figure? It appears from your curriculum choices that the Jesuit school was strong in the liberal arts. Did they offer, and did you take, nonors or AP Chemistry and Physics? The CoE would like to see Honors or perhaps AP courses in Math and Science, e.g., Calculus, Chemistry or Physics, and Computer Science. They won’t penalize you if those courses are not offered but admissions is looking for a challenging workload where available in math and science. </p>

<p>4.0 completely unweighted. A in every single class. </p>

<p>Math score was 680-690 i believe.</p>

<p>AP classes in the sciences are offered if you have completed the regular version of each class. It’s one of the weird requirements at my school. Few kids at my school take AP sciences. Same rule applies for mathematics and computer science classes. Currently enrolled in a Intro to Programming course. However, being a strong jesuit college prep school, the regular classes are more difficult than honors/APs at other schools (so I’ve been told by kids who have transferred). </p>

<p>If it helps you evaluate my chances any further, I had a 99 in Chemistry last year. Don’t remember the numerical grades for my first two years of sciences, but they were both A’s. </p>

<p>Had a 96 last year in Alg 2/Trig, 100 in first quarter of Calc senior year.</p>

<p>Hmmm. Well I’m going to guess that VT admissions will look at how students from your school have fared at VT in prior years. If they conclude that your school is academically rigorous and prior students have done well then I’d say you have a good shot. Your Math SAT score isn’t especially compelling but you are taking Calculus so that’s a plus. Your GPA obviously is a huge plus. I’m not sure how admissions will view the course load when compared to applicants from other rigorous high schools in Virginia. I think you will be fine but I wouldn’t consider Virginia Tech as a sure thing. I’m guess though that you have your heart set on another school and you are considering Virginia Tech as a safety? </p>

<p>Correct. VA Tech has accepted a lot of kids from my school in recent years so I figured it would be a good place for me to apply in the event that I don’t get into my top choices. Thanks for all the info, really appreciate it! </p>

<p>Bump</p>