Please Chance my Class of 24 Daughter [TX resident, 4.23/1440/32, Cognitive Science, Psych or English, cost not an issue]

Thank you, any essay that suggested that her Native American status would bring a diversity of viewpoints to campus, would be going too far and I know my daughter won’t do it. It’s not authentic. That’s for the best.

6 Likes

That is fine, but why bother mentioning her tribal status at all then? Candidly, either she wants the boost or she doesn’t. If she does not, focus on schools that are matches academically, and perhaps Smith, Tulane and BC. OOS publics and Ivy plus are unlikely with that profile unhooked.

3 Likes

Also, I saw something that the UC system doesn’t consider Native American as a race so they could still use it as a factor. I can’t remember where I read this so I could be wrong.

I appreciate this.

Most would take advantage.

Given the recent Supreme Court ruling, a college cannot factor race/ethnicity into its decision - i.e. on the box check. But they are free to utilize it if they determine it from other ways.

In regards to your student, I appreciate her honesty and frankly it sounds like she couldn’t write an essay about how her tribal membership influences her. It’s be more about how it doesn’t…but that wouldn’t serve the purpose.

That said, she’s strong on her own.

I don’t know what a 4.23 unweighted is - your school likely has A+ - but given her strong GPA and ACT, she’s already in good shape - but your list is crazily reachy - and very long. Unless you are ok with IU or UVM and likely Washington, you need to update. Nova and Smith are possible too - and Tulane - you have to show a lot of Demonstrated interest.

The UCs are test blind as is U Washington and I think U Wash happens and the UCs are too hard to know - but given the 3 APs and it sounds like she doesn’t take the most rigorous schedule, many on your list will be tough.

Have you looked at Va Tech (it has a neuro school) or Pitt? Also, given these grades/test scores, you’d have a boat load of schools that are inexpensive - from $20K on up. While you have no cost concerns, if grad school is in the mix - and with the degree it likely will be - it’s something to think about to ensure you have extra $$ for that. After all, a school like an IU, UW, or UVM are great - but there are many equivalents - as there are to the high level privates and LACs that you list and at lower cost (if that were an interest). With her current list, she’s going to see plenty of rejection - which is ok - but for some, mentally it’s not. But she’ll definitely have great options too.

Just food for thought.

2 Likes

It’s a fair point but since her grandmother did a lot of work to get her side of the family registered, I think she felt it’s valid. College counselor also advised to do it.

1 Like

@Gumbymom can clarify this for the CA public universities.

2 Likes

I found this on line - says for CA residents only. Perhaps there’s more. Not sure if it impacts admissions. It’s been since April 2022.

Native American Opportunity Plan | UC Admissions (universityofcalifornia.edu)

I am not getting the same GPA’s based on the posted grades and the Capped weighted UC GPA limit is 4.4 so something off in the calculation.

The UC’s reviewers do not see Race/Ethnicity during the application review. No sure about the specific selections for Race/Ethnicity (used for statistical purposes only). I will look into further.

Regardless, she is definitely competitive and the UC’s tend to be unpredictable.

Below are overall admit rates using the Capped weighted UC GPA but does not take into account how competitive certain majors can be.

2022 Admit rates based on the Capped weighted UC GPA.

Campus 4.00+ 3.70-3.99 3.30-3.69 3.00-3.29
Berkeley 17% 3% 1% 0%
Davis 58% 20% 5% 2%
Irvine 35% 10% 3% 0%
Los Angeles 13% 2% 1% 0%
Merced 97% 97% 95% 85%
Riverside 95% 83% 42% 17%
San Diego 37% 8% 1% 0%
Santa Barbara 41% 8% 3% 0%
Santa Cruz 69% 45% 16% 4%

UCSB and UCSD would be still in the High Match/Low Reach Category.
Specifically UCSB for example has Cognitive Science (actually Brain & Psychological Sciences)/Psychology housed in the College of Letters and Sciences. The admit rate for the College of L&S overall was 27%.
UCSD admits into the University first and then into the major. They consider alternate majors and may also admit as Undeclared. I do not have specific admit rate data for these majors but their Cognitive sciences is a top rated program.

UCLA and UCB are Reach schools. UCLA’s College of Letters and Sciences does not admit by major and the overall admit rate for the College was 10%. The UC application allows you to list an alternate major for UCLA but they only guarantee review of the Primary major.
UCB Psychology is a High Demand major in the College of L&S so if she wants to study Psychology, she needs to apply to that major as her Primary major for the best chances. UCB allows you to list an alternate major which may be considered if capacity allows but usually during the waitlist process. Admit rate for the College of L&S was 12.9% overall.

Best of luck to her.

4 Likes

I am by no means an expert so take my opinion with a big ol’ grain of salt…

I think there is a big difference in creating an application narrative centered around tribal affiliation (which in your D’s case she’d feel was disingenuous, inaccurate and inappropriate) and completing the available fields/answer CA questions and perhaps making mention in an essay.

Of course, it depends on your D’s choice of essay topic, but there are many ways that information could be woven in with a single sentence. There are experienced essay reviewers on this site who could give that feedback and help your D feel proud and genuine in her application while also making mention of this unique aspect of her personal life.

She sounds like an amazing kid and has fantastic stats/ECs for her application. Best of luck!

6 Likes

Off-topic but since the OP included it, I did not and would not mention socially selective clubs in an application to a very academic school. The volunteering is fine; the club less so.

1 Like

Not sure what you mean by socially selective?

I commend your daughter for her integrity.

I will say, though, that people of various groups/identifications don’t necessarily have the same experiences or perspectives could be an honest way of bringing in her heritage. For instance, if someone says an individual in the U.S. is black, a lot of images get conjured. Many of them relate to income, a history of oppression, athletic ability, and often links to one particular political party over another. Obviously, I mentioned a lot of stereotypes. But if a college accepts a black student in order to get that “perspective” they’re probably going to get a significantly different perspective from someone who lives in public housing and who can’t trace their family history beyond the relatives who lived during the Civil War as compared to someone who was the child of recent immigrants from a black-majority country who came from an educationally-advantaged class. Alternatively, Hispanic/Latino students whose families are coming from Spain/Portugal are very different from Hispanic/Latino students coming from Guatemala or Honduras which are very different still from Hispanic/Latin students whose families have been in the U.S. for generations. If she included something like this about her own background, it would be up to the admissions team as to how her perspective would add to the diversity of their class.

Anyway, just wanted to share this alternative perspective.

3 Likes

At least in our area, NCL membership is an application process requiring sponsorship. Perhaps it is different in yours.

1 Like

I would go with 3-4/year and do something amazing outside of the classroom… Otherwise, pushing on a string?

No opinion on that

1 Like

I had the same reaction to NCL and know others who do, too. While I know of girls who participated and are happy with their admissions results, it is worth mentioning that it is not an activity that may be well-regarded in all areas and with all admissions offices.

2 Likes

If you don’t mind sharing - what does she think?

1 Like

Hi, she thinks NYC is too hectic. She thought she would ED to Barnard but after her three week program, she decided to cross it off as well as any other NYC schools.

1 Like

Shrinking/focusing the list is a desirable outcome.

2 Likes

San Antonio isn’t a fancy or exclusive place, unless you are directly descended from the defenders of The Alamo. I thought everyone who wants to be in NCL gets in but I’ll look into it. I really appreciate the feedback that it may not be looked at positively by everyone.