Please help Undecided STEM (and Undecided about STEM) Girl’s college list

There are 13 institutions in the UT system. 2/3 of the Permanent University Fund in Texas goes to the UT system, 1/3 to A&M (Originally, it was all set aside for UT Austin). Still, the 2/3 PUF is not distributed equally across the UT Austin system. The overwhelming majority is set aside for the academic mission of UT Austin.

1 Like

I’d say most of the top schools have had their endowments grow a lot in the past few years. Just look at the markets.

In 2018, Pitt’s endowment was over $4 Billion ($4.34) back in 2018. Michigan’s was almost $12 Billion ($11.9). The student populations of each school haven’t grown much. So, the per student endowment answer wouldn’t be much different from today.

1 Like

Thanks, I should have said that Pitt has one the very highest endowment per student for a public university. Just to keep the thread on the topic. My point to the OP is that the faculty-to-student ratio and endowment are strong metrics for Pitt as a public university.

2 Likes

I was only referring to the ones that aren’t medical schools/hospitals. I’m sure they get some of the money though. I haven’t seen a breakdown for the whole UT system. Now I’ll drift back on topic. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Those were important metrics to us as well.

BTW, according to the latest CDS from Michigan, they also have a 14:1 student-faculty ratio.

I see the USNWR lists Pitt with a 14:1, but the Pitt CDS omits this statistic.

2 Likes

Nice exhaustive list. Mine was very less enthusiastic about anything other than UCB, UCLA and UCSD but we dragged her to select UCI, UCSB and UCSC just to be safe. She’s applying either Applied Math or CS in mix and match. For RD mine is doing Mudd as well. She did their FAST, loved it so much. But for now most of these applications are dependent on 2 EA schools which are releasing their decisions on the 2nd, 3rd week of December. I’m insisting on touring SoCal during winter break just to get a feel of colleges. Lets see. Good Luck to your daughter!!! I’m sure she’ll do good.

1 Like

Ah yes, exhaustive and exhausting! :frowning: She did cut Occidental yesterday, and I think will cut more soon, so the list is finally starting to shrink a bit. Likes the school, seems very supportive and collegial, but decided it’s too small.

Since my D ended up applying CS to all the UC’s, I’m really glad she applied to most as we are not confident at all about her chances. I’m actually wondering if she should’ve applied to more CSU’s too. Her friend was accepted to Sonoma State (I think that was the campus) and I know D would feel slightly less stressed if she had one acceptance too. Hopefully soon! :crossed_fingers:

Your D sounds like such a strong applicant! I never even heard of FAST, had to look it up right now. :laughing: Good to check out the campuses if you can, they are all so different as well as the surrounding cities. I’m sorry you may have already told me, but what other schools is she applying to? I know our girls are waiting to hear from MIT :wink:

Don’t worry we will sit back and relax soon. Good job to us!!!

Yes she has done MIT, Caltech, GTech and few other publics for EA. Lets all hope for the best (I know it’s tough, mine is dreaming of MIT since her 4th grade, it’s definitely going to be a drama or breakdown if she’s deferred or rejected)

1 Like

Aw can you imagine back when our kids were in 4th grade, and now look where they are, and what they will do next! Goes by so fast! Lots of tech in your D’s school apps – yay tech girls! :muscle:

2 Likes

Happy Holidays! Wanted to thank everyone again for all the help and to update for anyone following D’s journey.

She applied EA and was deferred by MIT, UChicago, Case Western. Pleasantly surprised to not be flat out rejected by MIT or Chicago, but really bummed about Case as it was one of the tops on her list.

She is thrilled to have been admitted EA to WPI with $30k/year scholarship! Thank you again to @tsbna44, @James_West, @RBMart1 @eyemgh and everyone else here who recommended it – WPI made her Christmas a merry one, and she’s so glad she applied! :slight_smile: We look forward to visiting in the spring.

We are still nervous that she applied as a Comp Sci major to all the UC/CSU’s (applied to SE for SLO), and are very grateful she heard early that she was admitted to our local CSU - Sacramento (you were right as always @gumbymom!).

So current status:

Applied to:
MIT - deferred
UChicago - deferred
Case Western - deferred
Rochester - pending
WPI - accepted w/ $30k/year merit
Pitt - pending
UC’s (LA, San Diego, Santa Cruz, Berkeley, Santa Barbara, Irvine, Davis, RIverside) - pending
Cal Poly (SLO, Pomona) - pending
CSU (San Diego, Long Beach, San Jose, Sacramento) - pending except admitted to Sac

Finishing apps to:
Yale
Pomona
Stanford
Harvey Mudd
Brown
Barnard
Tufts

She cut Scripps because it doesn’t have a real Computer Science major, and may cut more as she’s exhausted and knows the remaining apps are crazy reaches.

Thank you again everyone for holding my hand through this process, giving so much helpful advice, and talking me back from the edge a few times! Will post more as the decisions come in, hopefully with more good news but, if not, we are happy she has 2 good options and really is going to college next year! :sweat_smile:

18 Likes

I’d suggest adding Dartmouth to your list.

Most engineering programs are heavy with males. The top ones do a better job of approaching 50/50. If that matters to her, check the enrollment numbers before making a decision.

1 Like

I think you’ll hear positive on Case. There’s a thread on yield management - and here are some figures from it.

I think I put them in message 103. It’s interesting when you go into the CDS.

Deferred at Chicago and MIT - that’s like winning the confidence lottery. That’s AWESOME!! It’s not in - but that’s something to be proud about in my opinion. That’s two of arguably the top 5 institutions in the country, maybe the world.

Question about “yield protection” - College Admissions - College Confidential Forums

3 Likes

I would not, unless CS is different than all if their engineering. Their ABET accredited programs are all 5 years and they don’t accept AP credit.

1 Like

Are Chicago and MIT known to defer only truly borderline EA applicants (i.e. rejecting most EA applicants who are clear rejects in their view)?

If not, then an EA deferral does not indicate a good chance of admission.

Statistically, deferred MIT EA applicants are less likely to be admitted than its RD applicants. For UChicago, an EA deferral is indistinguishable from a rejection, unless the applicant switches her application to ED2.

Did not say they’d get adimtted.

I"m just saying it’s like hitting a confidence home run.

My daughter was WL at Emory. She was stoked.

Now - she doesn’t look at the CDS and see how many they WL - a ton - as does Case, Fordham, and so many others. Heck, I only looked yesterday researching for another thread and i was like - dang - they WL like 20% of the applicants - that’s crazy.

But for the student - who doesn’t see the #s - it’s gotta be a huge confidence boost - I didn’t get rejected to MIT, etc. and they reject everyone!! That’s all I’m saying - i’m not trying to predict success.

I’m going with it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agreed regarding UChicago - they seem to practice yield management heavily. They are one of the few top schools to offer both EA and ED so their thinking is “if you truly wanted to come here you’d apply ED”. Then they offer you an ED2 option as well, and if you don’t pick that they are convinced you’re using them as a back-up and (like @1NJParent said), chances of acceptance in the RD round is low.

MIT deferral is more nuanced in my opinion. They defer most applicants (somewhere between 65-70% typically) so a deferral in itself doesn’t confer bragging rights. And yes, statistically speaking the % of deferred students who get admitted is lower than the % for the non-deferred RD pool. However (and this is important to keep in mind) - this isn’t necessarily because an MIT deferral is a “soft rejection” but I think more likely due to the RD pool being particularly strong. Many top candidates who REA’d to Ivies, Stanford, etc, are in the MIT RD pool.

1 Like

But MIT doesn’t reject everyone in EA - they defer everyone - or just about. They only reject something like 20% of EA applicants, the vast, vast majority are deferred. I wouldn’t use it as a confidence booster at all - it would give an applicant an extremely skewed sense of their RD prospects.

4 Likes

I totally agree with that, RD pool being strong. I read an MIT blog (student blogger) that she was deferred and admitted through RD. Indeed she mentioned things about how she bumped into 100s of deferred and accepted students during her first few days of freshman year. IMHO, an EA deferred and accepted is very much tied to how strong the RD applications are. From our school out of 20+ applicants nearly 8-10 are deferred and remaining are rejected. We know there is atleast 4-5 strong applicants doing RD (they are ivy accepted and deferred kind). It’s still like being in limbo.

1 Like

I get it.

But unless a student knows that, it’d be a boost.

If my kid applied to MIT and got deferred - they’d be stoked. All I’m saying.

If my kid got WL, even if they WL 100%, they’d be stoked. She was WL at Emory (and W&M) and was stoked about the Emory - thinking, she’s on the borderline and if she was ED, etc. would be in (true or not). What a child or someone thinks and what’s reality are two different things. Now that I see Emory WL a ton - i’m not going to go burst her bubble. Even though it’s 6 months later, she’s still proud she was on the WL as my son is proud he was WL at WUSTL.

Very few people know the #s. Very few look at the CDS or even know it exists.

Anyway, it’s a moot point - each individual feels as they do - not what i think they do - and in the end, they’ll attend school where they do.

2 Likes