Please match me: European-American female, 3.98 UW GPA, 35 ACT, Chemistry & Art History [US+EU citizen living outside the US]

Yes, I spend time there occasionally, as my daughter is attending grad school there and has moved between two neighborhoods.

I fully agree with your summary and didn’t mean any slight by not calling it a “Metropolis”, vis-a-vis NYC or London (edited & rephrased my original post).
Yes, the “in” areas are elsewhere than downtown – but as you said, there are indeed plenty. My daughter found a very active social scene, representing diverse interests, easy to make many friends outside university.

1 Like

It’s a very active, bustling city. Public transportation could be better, and traffic is a pain, but it’s a great city. With the actor strike over, the movie industry will be picking back up too.

Our DIL was just in town for a conference. Fun to take her to a restaurant I hadn’t been to in a while that is right on the belt line. Fun to watch the runners going by, even at night.

IIRC, your dau. is up at Mercer, which is not an area with much to do (pretty residential and a bit dated). She ended up living in the Brookhaven or Va-Hi area (I can’t recall) and reverse commutes.

My daughter lives two blocks from that section of the Beltline. Enjoys how walkable and lively her neighborhood is.

She goes up there only twice a week, or so.

Which section ? The belt line is very long. It’s very desirable to be by the belt line. When my s and DIL lived here the belt line was just being built, but it was accessible ( just dirt, not paved) and they lived right off it in Inman park.

1 Like

Was going to respond with “private message” to @jym626 – but I think you have that feature disabled with your profile. Feel free to PM me, so I can then reply.

Emory students, if they live off campus, typically live nearby or in the Morningside or Clairmont area.

Btw, this thread comprises college visit reports by parents and kids all over the country. It doesn’t replace being there in person of course but that+ virtual tour should be as good as you can get for a first look. This (below) covers the last 15 posts but if you track it you’re sure to get a few more after Thanksgiving break.

They’re subjective or subject to weather/incidentals, and caveats are generally noted (you’ll often find 2 visit reports within a month where 1 person found the campus dynamic and vibrant whereas the other found it lifeless, for instance, so even this is of interest as a ‘depends on the day’ thing v. Reports consistently reporting one or the other…)

4 Likes

Thanks for this! I did look at Scotland. It’s less narrow than England, but not broad enough.

1 Like

As an aside, you can PM people who have their profiles hidden. Its just a workaround in the PM options.

1 Like

This thread looks very helpful – thanks!

1 Like

Thank you for all these suggestions – I really appreciate everyone’s time.

I’ve realised that the two most important factors to me are size and accessibility, so I’m seriously considering the following list, which I’ll probably cut down further. If anything looks too off-piste, please tell me!

New York

• Barnard
  • Columbia
  • NYU CAS
  • Fordham

Massachusetts

• Boston College
  • Holy Cross
  • Tufts

Pennsylvania

• UPenn

DC

• Georgetown
  • George Washington

Virginia

• William & Mary

South Carolina

• College of Charleston Honours/Fellows

Georgia

• Emory

California

• Pomona
  • Scripps
4 Likes

I personally think if you don’t like NYU or BU, you won’t like GW.

But you have a couple on there that are safeties. @fiftyfifty1 would be better to answer but I believe people say Fordham isn’t strong on STEM - but maybe I’m wrong.

So you have “access” everywhere except W&M which will be transportation, likely from Dulles - about 2.5 hours.

I’ll assume but don’t know if there is a shuttle, etc.

I think it’s a stretch list but you do have at least two that will definitely happen with Charleston and Fordham.

Best of luck.

1 Like

Be mindful that Pomona and Scripps are actually quite a ways outside of Los Angeles, so trying to fly out of LAX is not that simple, especially with traffic. There is a smaller airport that is closer - Ontario - but I understand you are focusing on direct flights to Europe.

Yes, LAX is nobody’s favorite airport, and it isn’t super close to Claremont - about a 50 minute drive. When my daughter was at Scripps, she rented Zipcars several times to do LAX pickups and drop-offs for visiting friends. It wasn’t a nightmare, but it wasn’t something she’d want to do often.

USC could also be worth a look, and that’s much closer to LAX. It’s very interdisciplinary-friendly and has strength in all of the relevant areas. I think the Claremont Consortium more closely fits what you say you’re looking for, but USC would be a bit more accessible and would likely cover the bases as well.

1 Like

Whereas I loved Holy Cross - beautiful campus - I just do not see that school for you. A good drive from Boston (even worse in traffic) and the town of Worcester is mostly grim, with some bright spots. On the flip side Holy Cross gives excellent merit.

I think you have the stats and credentials for the tippy top schools.

With respect to this, the OP can compare schools of potential interest through IPEDS (e.g., College Navigator - Barnard College and College Navigator - Columbia University in the City of New York and College Navigator - University of Pittsburgh-Pittsburgh Campus and College Navigator - Georgetown University). Note that Barnard and Columbia provide information distinct to their undergraduate colleges.

I think Holy Cross is an excellent option. Perhaps I’m biased since I’m local to the area. There are many options to Logan Airport in Boston including the commuter rail. Another great option is the Worcester Regional Airport which offers daily flights to NYC and get on a connecting international flight in NYC. Flight is quick about an hour and the airport is super easy to get in/out off. My husband has done this several times for business. Holy Cross has daily shuttles to the Worcester Art Museum and has partnered with the Art Museum to run it’s library. Student has the ability to take classes at Clark, WPI (which is next to the Art Museum). Additionally, if the student is looking for merit opportunities based on interests I think Clark and perhaps WPI considering Chemistry could be explored as well.

4 Likes

I agree that Fordham is not known as a STEM school. Of its STEM offerings, biology is the strongest. In terms of its chemistry, if I planned a career in chemistry (i.e. planning a PhD in chemistry with an ultimate goal of working in academia or industry) I would not choose Fordham because there are other stronger schools. BUT if my interest in chemistry was for a purpose such as art conservation/restoration, Fordham would be fine.

Typically art conservation/restoration careers require chemistry through the level of Organic Chemistry, so would require Intro Chem I with lab, Intro Chem II with lab, Orgo I with lab, and Orgo II with lab (or may sub Inorganic Chemistry with lab or Biochemistry with lab for Orgo II.) Fordham has enough strength in these classes to be suitable.

So I agree that Fordham would make a good Safety School for this career. If you apply, the Rose Hill campus would be better than the Lincoln Center campus because more of your required classes will be located at Rose Hill (and because it is a lovely defined campus.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.