Pomona vs Swarthmore vs UCLA vs University of Michigan

Hello everyone,

As the title suggests, I have been admitted to Pomona, Swarthmore, UCLA and the University of Michigan. I have not yet decided my major but my current intellectual pursuits are physics, mathematics ,and philosophy. I managed to narrow down my list of choices to these four schools but I am having a hard time deciding which school out of these four I should attend. On the one hand, the intellectual freedom of and the nurture I will receive from the LACs( Pomona and Swarthmore) intrigue me while on the other the prospect of attending a large research university( UCLA and Michigan) and the plethora of different opportunities available there inspire me. The major factors ( not in order) that affect my decision are:

1. Academic Rigor
  2. School Reputation
  3. Research Opportunities
  4. Potential to receive financial aid in the future( I was admitted without any financial aid but I might need aid in the future )
  5. Life in the University
    Any opinions/suggestions?

My recommendation would be Pomona – it has the academics you’re looking for and connections for research. (Forbes recently ranked it #1 college/university in the US, ahead of Stanford, Harvard, etc.)

Michigan and UCLA are big public schools where it’s hard to get the personal attention you’d have at Pomona or Swarthmore; you’d have to really hustle for research opportunities. UCLA, and the entire UC system, are having huge financial problems right now.

Don’t count on getting any future financial aid. Usually, what you get as a freshman is the best you can get. However, if there would be opportunities for some smaller grants, I’d say they’d be better at Pomona or Swarthmore - wealthy privates that don’t care whether or not you’re a state resident.

Congratulation on acceptance! As @katliamom suggested I would choose either Pomona or Swartmore. You will have more direct exchange with faculty members. Those two state schools will give you zero aid, and also you will have hard time getting any internship or research

Financial considerations aside, I would first make a choice between LAC or research university. If you think you may want to focus on one major, such as math or physics, LACs are a poor choice because you will run out courses very very quickly.

At research universities, it is common for the stronger math and physics majors to start taking graduate-level courses in their junior year. That’s simply not an option at a LAC. Math + physics majors at LACs also fare notoriously poorly in admissions to selective PhD programs; PhD programs use the advanced-ness of an applicant’s coursework as a proxy for their potential in graduate school, which puts students from a LAC at a huge disadvantage.

Don’t just take my word for it. Swarthmore’s math department is telling their students up front that they’ll be at a disadvantage when they apply to PhD programs simply because they attended a LAC: http://www.swarthmore.edu/Documents/academics/math/grad_GRE/MathGradSchool.pdf

On the flip side, LACs may work much better for you if you consider yourself shy. In my experience, all of the opportunities available at LACs are also available at a research university, but they are much easier to come by at a LAC. A few examples: At a LAC, professors will notice you and learn your name just because you’re in their class. At a big university, you may have to make a point of going to office hours if you want to be noticed. At a LAC, professors may approach you about summer research opportunities. At a big university, you’d have to approach your professors. At a LAC, you will naturally get to know your classmates because you’re taking all of your major courses with the same group of 10 students. At a research university, you may have to work a bit harder to make friends.

I personally attended Bryn Mawr, another LAC not too far from Swarthmore. I really enjoyed the LAC-feeling for the first two years, and then I wished I was at a larger university with more opportunities. I ended up spending most of my junior and senior years at Penn taking graduate courses, for which professors at Bryn Mawr gave me independent study credits. However, I should point out that this is NOT a standard arrangement and Swarthmore would NOT allow it. (Swarthmore is much stricter than Bryn Mawr about breadth of coursework.) On the other hand, I am grateful that I started out at a LAC. I was painfully shy when I started college and I would have gotten lost in the crowd at a big university.

You’ll have to ask the colleges directly if this is possible. Most colleges and universities will not consider international students for need-based financial aid in future years if they did not apply for it at the time of admission - that’s because they don’t want applicants to apply without financial aid, use up all of their savings in the first year and then rely on university funding for the following years.

Many colleges will have merit-based endowed scholarships for returning students. These are usually small (e.g. $500 for an outstanding junior physics major) and are often not advertised on the university website.

I would strongly encourage you to make your decision assuming that you will have to pay the full cost of attendance for all 4+ years.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I finally decided to attend Pomona.

Congrats, @WELLMET! I was just coming on to say that Pomona gives you the best of both worlds: LAC, but with the resources of the Consortium (for you, notably Harvey Mudd). I know a couple of current students who are loving the balance of a lot of smart, engaged peers and more great class choices than they can take advantage of in 4 short years. Weather’s not bad either :wink:

You made a great choice. I don’t know how accurate that Swarthmore letter is anymore (as it is dated to when they had a 20% acceptance rate- which was quite a while ago). Math is Pomona’s most popular major, and this year, my friends have gotten into graduate schools at Carnegie Mellon (statistics), UC Berkeley (pure math), Stanford/Princeton/Cornell (operations research), and MIT (mechanical engineering). Physics is also a top ten most popular major with recent grads going to Yale, UC Berkeley, Stanford, Michigan, USC, and Cambridge. Both are housed in the best academic building at Pomona which just opened in the fall of last year.

EDIT- just another thing, but you can also take graduate level math courses at CGU, and it’s a joint department across the 5 colleges (ie. no restriction limits). You can see what is offered at all the colleges here: http://ccms.claremont.edu/courses-clinics-lab

Thanks for the input, nostalgicwisdom!

I’d like to clarify that when I said “math PhD”, I meant specifically math PhDs. Related fields like statistics, engineering or operations research accept students from a wider range of backgrounds.

On the upside, that means that attending a LAC doesn’t close very many doors early on. On the downside, the paths that do get trickier also tend to be the ones that are heavily promoted to the highest-achieving students.