Possible Changes To Benacquisto and Florida Aid

Sen. Dennis Baxley, R-Ocala, sponsored bill (SB 86) initially included a proposal that would have limited Bright Futures and the Benaquisto to only certain majors that had most viable career paths. Thanks in no small part to a huge ground swell of opposition the proposal was amended to exclude this controversial section of the proposed bill, but what still remains in the proposed bill is the removal of guarantee of tuition coverage that Bright Futures provides (either 100% or 75% of tuition and fees) to be replaced with to the amount of money appropriated in the state budget. In other words, whatever they want to change it to on an annual basis. So the fight is not over.

Dirty politics: While reading about this bill I noticed that our good friend Sen. Baxley is also sponsoring (SB 1728) which some are dubbing the “grandparent tuition waiver bill”. This bill waives out-of-state tuition to grandchildren of FL residents. So while attempting to reduce Bright Futures for our children they are attempting to shift those saving to cover out-of-state grandchildren tuition shortfall. Not to mention the increased competition of a huge influx of out-of-state students would cause for our kids. One of the main arguments the supporters of this bill use is that it will attract more smart students to our state universities and colleges. I find this disingenuous at best, because the same people who sponsor/support this bill are the same ones supporting SB 86 which eliminates the Benaquisto scholarship to out-of-state students. For those unfamiliar with the Benequisto scholarship, it is offered to National Merit Finalists. What hypocrisy from our politicians. Patt Maney, R-Shalimar, is sponsoring a House version (HB 1273).

So contact your FL state house representative and senator to tell them not to put Bright Futures funding at risk or steal benefits from our FL kids and give them to out-of-state student grandchildren.

1 Like

You may be right that it’s on calendar for both today and tomorrow. It won’t be set for the general appropriations committee until it clears this committee.

geez, baxley is as dense as a rock. good questioning from the senators tho

2 Likes

Senator Baxley is saying (paraphrasing) life is unpredictable, so we will not be able to guarantee how much aid we will be able to give year after year, get used to it. So, parents and children are supposed to make decisions not knowing how much scholarship they will get each of the 4 years. So, theoretically, a kid who gets 100% COA one year may get less than 50% of COA the next. Doesn’t look like he has a coherent thought process and comes across as very dense and has no purpose other than to pander to a certain demographic in his constituents.

Also, I feel that the minority senators are not being forceful in their questions and the majority party senators (except Baxley) are masters at obfuscation.

3 Likes

I know. Baxley is ridiculous. Polsky and Cruz are making sense and are echoing the things I’ve said in my letters to the committee – but they are only speaking about Bright Futures and not the Benacquisto. I just wrote another letter to Polsky and Cruz emphasizing that the Benacquisto provisions are being overlooked.

At the end of the day every politician is trying to pander to some segment of their electorate. I think the Bright Futures recipients make a majority of their constituents just owing to the fact that there are 111K+, who receive it and only about 1.5k (I am guessing) Benacquisto recipients. This bill is the example of how myopic our politicians are.

2 Likes

Is this an attempt to get retirees who live in Florida to vote for him?

1 Like

For Out of State NMF hopefuls that were planning on having access to the Benacquisto in the future, can someone advise steps to take so that perspective is heard? The investment Florida makes in those students in return for brining bright minds to Florida is likely to get pushed aside in the political gamesmanship.

1 Like

There is a FB group about these efforts. Protect Bright Futures

Unfortunately, I have all but eliminated UF due to the uncertainty, and especially because the scholarship is not guaranteed by the school itself. Even if we are successful in stopping the legislation this year, there is no way to guarantee that we won’t be impacted if a similar bill is reintroduced in years 2-4 for us. NM scholars typically have many great schools to choose from. Given my other options so far (still a few great ones to hear from), Florida is only in the running if it is a four-year full ride. And this is such a shame. I was so excited when I got in and was pumped to go there. Then this all happened.

If interested in other schools with excellent NM aid, I would look into UT Dallas and Alabama to see if it is too late to apply. These two schools seem to greatly value OOS NMS.
The State of Florida, in recent history, has seen great value in OOS NMS (hence Benacquisto being available to OOS). But the deficit is requiring cuts and it seems the priority of attracting the best and brightest from OOS to Florida’s colleges has fallen out of favor. That being said, FSU and UCF have apparently in the past guaranteed Benacquisto, but no word so far from them this year. But it may be worth looking into whether it is too late to apply to FSU or UCF. (I would have also suggested USC which, for me, is the best bang for your NM bucks, but their deadline has definitely passed.)

The most important thing to do, given the uncertainty, is make sure your NM application is marked undecided until you are 100 percent convinced where you are going. This is so vital because if, for example, you have UF listed first, and then UF offers you a NM scholarship, you are ineligible to be offered a NM scholarship from any other school. So, do not list a first choice on your NM application until you have decided where you are going to college (of course, make sure, you meet both NM’s and the school’s deadline to list a first choice, whichever is earlier).

Good luck!

4 Likes

Today, there were two people who spoke against the bill on behalf of OOS Benacquisto scholars, and they both spoke very well. The Chairman of the Committee acted as if he could not care less about what they had to say.

I, myself, have written letters to each committee that has considered this bill. That would be what I would advise you to do. Here is a link to the Senate progress of the bill. https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2021/00086/

It goes to the General Appropriations Committee next. Take note of all the Senators on that Committee and email them. I just sent out a group email to all senators on each committee. HTH.

I’m very surprised I have not seen any in-state Benacquisto scholars speaking out against the bill, and none of the Senators have spoken on their behalf either.

3 Likes

Don’t overlook Mississippi State
great money for OOS NMF.

2 Likes

I attended a NM admitted student event at USF this week and my understanding was that they committed to the same awards level as Benacquisto even for OOS. Granted an oral promise, but it was by the school’s provost. For health career students it may be the best option this year.

4 Likes

Copy/pasting: If you have or are a Benacquisto scholar (present, prospective, past) PLEASE GO TO Initially called the “National... - Protect Bright Futures | Facebook and comment directly on that post regarding the impact of the Benacquisto Scholarship.

This is to create a central list of comments in ONE place to share with legislators and media! Also comment there if Benacquisto hasn’t impacted you personally but you recognize the value having National Merit Scholars at Florida schools.

1 Like

Vistajay Seeing as you and I are the most experienced with OOS Benacquisto (as we have had a child in it since inception), I couldn’t agree with you more. It is doomed! Going forward we can only hope that our kids get to finish out with something close to COA. (5 year plan here) At this point, the Republican intent is to pass SB 86 and they have the votes. For IS NM Scholars planning to attend IS, with Bright Futures etc. it is still a good deal. For NMF looking for Full COA it is not. I anticipate for my future NM Scholar, UTD, UA or a most likely updated UCF after SB 86 passes. I would take UCF over UF anyway if UF was subject to GAA funding each year.

3 Likes

Well said and smart!!

Would you share a little bit about their program? We are touring there in a two weeks, and I would love a little insight. I know nothing other than they have a great NMF package. Thank you.

No companion bill in the House, so the passage is not guaranteed, the more so that DeSantis understands the implications of defunding in-state scholarships (Benacquisto does not explicitly separate IS/OOS by funding). If it passes, for those with <3 years to go, UF is still a good deal, cheaper than most home in-state schools, and UF is usually ranked quite high for most disciplines. For those still considering this year, it depends. After that, most likely, it won’t be worth it unless you like the climate.

Honestly, most Florida schools will lose attractiveness to OOS students immediately without the financial incentives, such as the Benacquisto Scholarship in the state and the OOS waivers at FSU. The schools are just not competitive enough academically, probably decent at best. Who would pay full tuitions to send kids there?

2 Likes

Could you send the source on FSU’s response regarding Benacquisto guarantees? Thanks!

FSU admissions director has said that to me and I’ve seen her make that statement to a crowd of about 200 people. This was several years ago. Others on CC have reported similar.

1 Like