postponed decision, any suggestions?

<p>OOS applicant, no financial aid
3.3 uw gap rigorous courses at very competitive private HS
2200 SAT
National Hispanic Recognition award
National Merit Semifinalist
VP Student gov't</p>

<p>uw gpa (autocorrect!!)</p>

<p>Low gpa with high SAT suggests underperformance. Be prepared for your second choice with a possible second year transfer to UW. Or, if you do eventually get accepted, prepare yourself for studying much more than you have in HS. No matter where you go to college use your last semester of HS to develop good study habits. All you can do at this point is wait and see what happpens.</p>

<p>wis75, I appreciate your response, and I’m sure ds should have worked harder in HS, but I want to make clear that a B+ in this HS (in advanced courses) is not low. If anything, this HS has grade deflation!</p>

<p>Am looking for suggestions regarding actions that can actually be taken like contacting local UW rep or more letters of rec etc., not just coulda wouldas.</p>

<p>What is this semester’s GPA?</p>

<p>Is UW-Madison your child’s first choice and was that clear in essays?</p>

<p>I have heard of students contacting the admission counselor with an additional heartfelt letter.</p>

<p>Did you send your high school’s ‘profile’ with the application? This may show more about the rigor (i.e. that a B+ in advanced courses is not low for your HS).</p>

<p>As an aside, here is information on the Chancellor’s Scholarship (for underrepresented minorities with high stats). Note: You can apply before being admitted to UW Madison.</p>

<p>[Office</a> of the Provost | University of Wisconsin?Madison](<a href=“http://www.provost.wisc.edu/csp.htm]Office”>Mercile J. Lee Scholars Program – Chancellor's and Powers-Knapp Scholarships – UW–Madison)</p>

<p>Eligibility:</p>

<p>3.0/4.0 GPA or higher
New Freshman
Latino/Hispanic (Native American, African American, Southeast Asian, OR culturally disadvantaged)
U.S. Citizen</p>

<p>(Note: financial need is not one of the 4 eligibility factors).</p>

<p>Each HS sends a profile of the school with your transcript. Does your HS rank?? Could it be that you rank is on the low side? I think that you will probably eventually get in based on your SAT score. Good luck</p>

<p>Talk to the high school counselor and have him/her send information about the rigor of the school and the steep curve just in case UW admissions missed that. Also first term grades. If they are consistently good per quarter and by breakdown as well by the semester, ask the counsellor to send a transcript with that breakdown made clear. Also send third quarter transcript, and yes, she has to have very good grades there and be taking a rigorous course load this senior year. If she is not, then it will be a problem and she may be denied.</p>

<p>My son went to prep school with unweighted grades, all tough courses and a steep grading curve, and the counselors there took a lot of pains to make sure that certain college admissions offices were aware of the type of school and courses involved. I remember UW being one of the schools mentioned that despite its size and being an out of area, public university with so many apps, that it did take curriculum and school rigor into account. But things can always slip through the cracks so your DD’s counselor should make sure this is right out there on your DD’s file. Good luck.</p>

<p>thanks for suggestions. thankfully ds has a very good acceptance in-hand with a nice academic award; it’s always good to have options however. he will discuss all with gc and forge ahead either way. good luck to all applicants.</p>