Pre-Vet or Marine Bio at New England Flagships

S23 has his choice of New England Flagships but torn between two possible majors. Wondering if anyone has a kid in one of these programs or other experience with the following:

UMASS Animal Science/Pre-Vet
UVM Animal Science/Bio-Chem
UNH Pre-Vet but they also have Marine Bio
UCONN Marine Science
UMAINE Marine Science

We are full pay. UNH is 10 min from home so hard to get him interested.

UMASS is very strong program, but a really big school. (R1, Diverse, Amherst, Five Colleges, Farm, housing issues but great food; have yo have B- to choose pre-vet track)
COA after merit: 43K

UVM (going next week) seems to have a strong program, but in a smaller school. (R2, Burlington, CREAM Program strong acceptance rafe for Vet School, housing and food :face_with_diagonal_mouth:, lots of complaints about Admin)
COA after merit 49K

UNH has very good options in both majors, national exchange, but 10 minutes from home. (R1, Veterinary Diagnostic Lab, Farm, CREAM, good food, can’t get him to truly consider it).
COA after merit 28K

UMAINE Marine Science: thought would be easy to cross off the list as it is the lowest ranked university but their Marine Science program is easily a top 10. (R1, Honors invite, great options for Semester by the Sea, Orono a snooze, food :face_with_diagonal_mouth:. Pre-Vet not as strong with lower vet school acceptance rate)
COA after merit: 27K

UCONN Marine Science: 2 years at Storrs followed by 2 on the coast where there is no housing. (No one in the family excited by this, but it is a very good school. Sounds like food/housing good. Pre-Vet there very good with Farm, etc (don’t think it is better than UMASS though).
COA with Regional Tuition discount for major 43K, would increase to 57K for another major. So it’s off the list.

Anyone have experiences with these programs or anything they want to share about student life at these schools?

Thanks!

He could do marine bio and still check all the boxes for prevet. UNH or UMaine are both well positioned for that with top marine bio programs.

Have him go to the admitted student day at UNH with COLSA. It helps them to hear other kids from further away be really excited about what they offer. The Isle of Shoals program is with Cornell and very well respected. He could knock out some summer classes there any make an exchange semester or year even easier. Money saved allows for other things potentially and flexibility with internships, etc…

5 Likes

Thanks!

I have one at UNH - a 16 hour drive from home and one much closer to home at a college a mile from his high school…similar size population as UNH, and he hardly ever runs into any HS friends going there unless they make plans to meet up.

Once they get into their major and other activities they are over that hump of being closer to home especially if they live on campus which based on your budget amounts you are accounting for.

3 Likes

Is your son undecided about whether to go for a DVM or to go into marine biology? I would think that the requirements would overlap enough that this would most likely be a decision that could be postponed until he has a chance to get more experience with both.

We have a daughter who is currently enrolled in a DVM program, so I can certainly comment on aspects related to veterinary programs (including getting into them). She did her undergrad at UVM with a dual major, including animal science as one of the majors. There are also a few other parents on this web site who have kids in DVM programs.

The CREAM program at UVM is very good. I expect that UNH is similar. You do need to get accepted into it. However, if a student’s grades and relevant experience are sufficient to have a reasonable shot at DVM programs, then I expect that they would likely get in. The farm is not all that far from the campus which is handy.

We visited all of UNH, U.Mass, and UVM multiple times. They are all very attractive campuses. I think that any of them would be very good for a pre-veterinary student.

When our daughter started in her DVM program, there was an opening ceremony that we got to listen to. They said where each student had graduated from. The students in at least one (top 5) DVM program come from a very, very wide range of undergraduate universities. Out of well over 100 students, I did recall hearing a couple of schools mentioned twice, but I do not recall hearing any school mentioned more than that other than the DVM school itself (and even it was where only a handful of students got their bachelor’s).

DVM programs are expensive. My daughter has mentioned a few times that most of the students in her program are taking on too much debt to get their DVM. If your son wants to seriously keep open the option of getting a DVM, he should at least avoid debt for his bachelor’s degree. Having some $$ left in the college fund for the DVM program would also be a good idea. My understanding is that for someone interested in marine biology a master’s degree is a good idea, and again it is a good idea if reasonably possible to leave some $$ in a college fund for this also. If staying in-state saves money, it could help a lot when it comes time to get either a DVM or a master’s degree.

And yes, pre-vet is an intention, not a major. If you want to get in a DVM program, then you need to complete the pre-vet requirements while maintaining a good GPA and getting a bachelor’s degree in something. I would expect that marine biology requirements and pre-vet requirements probably overlap enough to make marine biology a reasonable major for a prevet student.

Pre-vet classes and premed classes overlap a lot. Many of my daughters friends, that she met in undergraduate pre-vet classes, were premed students (one got her MD this past May). Premed / pre-vet classes are in some cases very academically demanding. There will be a lot of very strong students in these classes at any of the schools that you mentioned (including U.Maine and UNH). There will be tough exams at any of these schools.

Experience in a veterinary environment is very important to get accepted to DVM programs. Students can get this either while an undergraduate student, or after getting their bachelor’s degree before applying to DVM programs, or both (my daughter went with “both”). My daughter and I both think that her experience and the resulting references were the most important thing in her getting multiple acceptances to DVM programs.

I agree with @Pathnottaken about attending an admitted student’s day at UNH. It is an attractive school in an attractive location. It has both the CREAM program and marine biology as options. Saving money for graduate school of one type or another is important. Pre-vet classes there will be academically demanding and will have strong students. I also agree that if a student is living on campus, it is an entirely different world compared to living at home. This is true even if the campus is only one or two miles from home. Then if something goes wrong, help can be nearby. Bad breakups and/or flu can happen even to a university student.

4 Likes

Thanks @DadTwoGirls and @Pathnottaken ,

I was hoping you would each weigh in. I know @DadTwoGirls your daughter did well at UVM. We are headed up there next week. Slightly concerned about food/housing there and students complain about administration a lot.

We missed the COLSA day (and alternate 1/2 day), but I was in touch with them by email today and hope to set something up. They sent me their powerpoint. One think that surprised me is that the UNH vet school acceptance rate (for animal science majors) is only about 84%. I know this is double the national average, but I think it used to be over 90% (UVM’s is).

The other thing I’m interested to know is whether UNH has any articulation agreements with vet schools. UMASS & UVM tout opportunities to apply (sometimes early) to Tufts, Edinburgh and/or Melbourne, & others. Can’t find a peep in the UNH materials about anything like this.

@DadTwoGirls the admitted class info for Tufts always has more UMASS kids. Sometimes 4, 6, one year I saw 15! But UVM and UNH are often next. Not many from UMAINE :face_with_monocle:

Anyway, we’re still thinking! My son spent tonight looking at course requirements and selections in each major at UNH and is now thinking about a double major or minor. I’m glad he is giving it due consideration.

2 Likes

These numbers can be gamed somewhat. For example, they might only count students that went through their CREAM program. This would suggest that if the CREAM program is more difficult to get into, a higher percentage of the students who do get in are likely to get accepted to a DVM program. I am not sure if there might be some sort of “successful completion” of the CREAM program also required. Regardless, 84% is quite good. I also saw something like 90% of UVM CREAM program students getting accepted to a DVM program, which seems sort of amazing to me.

Our daughter moved west after graduating from UVM. She established residency somewhere well to the west of here. This gave her time to increase her experience with animals (big ones and little ones) in both veterinary and non-veterinary environments. This also has allowed her to get in-state tuition at the DVM program that she is currently participating in. One thing that I remember telling her quite a few years ago is that getting through a DVM program is a huge investment of both time and money. You need to make sure that you want to do it before you take that path. She did take the time, was sure that she wanted to do it, and I think that this is helping her now.

To me the two advantages that I see wrt UNH is that it is in-state for you and will save money, and that it has both CREAM and marine biology. I think that U.Maine is a good school, but I am not sure why a student would pick it over UNH in-state.

I honestly do not know how useful an articulation agreement is. My daughter did not use this and did not apply to Tufts. When she started applying to DVM programs between she and my wife and I none of us had much of a guess regarding how hard it would be to get accepted somewhere. It worked out.

I only ate on-campus at UVM a few times, but the food seemed good to me. There are quite a few restaurants in Burlington that we liked. It is an attractive school with a very good animal science program in an attractive location.

If Vet School is a consideration down the road, saving during undergrad is a huge factor to consider.

I am not sure an articulation agreement matters when you are batting 84% acceptance rate and up. Many articulation agreements to advanced degrees have certain hurdles in the fine print and weed some out along the way as well. I would not let that be a deciding factor.

There is a variety of research he can be involved in at UNH starting his first year.

Jackson Lab is getting a round of well funded renovations.

Training and Research in the Vet Diagnostic Lab

This Pre-Fall course for income UNH students at Isle of Shoals may be of interest to him:

2 Likes

My daughter also intends to go to Vet school and has been admitted to UVM. She will major in Molecular Genetics. We toured the CREAM barn last spring and it was impressive. We are attending admitted student day next week. She has received an almost full ride scholarship at another school across the country that doesn’t have a CREAM type of program. So while she really likes UVM, it’s hard to turn that down knowing the cost of Vet school. UVM will cost way more for her. Hard decision to make. Like you, I also have major concerns about UVM housing, not only in the dorms but I’ve heard Burlington housing is difficult to find and very expensive for junior and senior years.

We will be there Monday!

I can’t speak specifically to marine bio, but my daughter’s situation is similar. She plans to be a biology major. We also live close to UNH so that’s not very exciting for her. She did not apply to UVM because we knew it would be too expensive. She applied to U Mass and U Maine. We eliminated U Mass because it was just too expensive even after merit aid (and too large imo as well).

U Maine had everything she was looking for–reasonable price, friendly campus, honors college, good size, great bio program. It is really the only flagship New England university she is excited about. We are currently trying to decide between this option and a private college option.

Good luck!

3 Likes

We were very impressed with UMAINE. Totally randomly ran into a young woman who asked if we were visiting and she struck up a conversation. Turns out she is some kind of Molecular Biology Major or something like that. She had gotten into BU and turned it down. She said she was glad she did because she was getting access to labs and research that she would have never obtained from BU.

Good luck!

4 Likes

Thanks, you too!

We did a campus tour last year mainly because they have a zoology major, and we left very impressed. The biology professors were enthusiastic and helpful. In the presentation they mentioned there are numerous opportunities for bio students to do paid research as undergrads. The honors college also sounds amazing. Good luck!

What kind of opportunities would your D have for experience with animals (especially of different sizes) at the private U?

Not as many, I think. We will be visiting both campuses next week to make a final decision and find out the answer to that question!

1 Like

Hi all,

We went to UVM’s admitted student event, loved Burlington, and enjoyed hearing directly from students at the general and college specific events. The Animal Science major presentation was a snooze (not a great presenter in my opinion). We really liked the tour of the barns and hearing directly from one of the kids in CREAM. I thought he was all in on UVM, but then he was talking about going back to UMASS and UNH. Arrghh!

Trying to get him to meet individually with some faculty there (we missed the events) and he is hesitant. Hoping he’ll reconsider. He does think the UNH campus is nicer than UVM’s. But Burlington…

Unclear if I will make it to May 1.

5 Likes

We’re headed to UVM’s admitted student day tomorrow & UConn’s on Sat. The UNH presentation was very compelling. The professors seemed very passionate & the students on the panel gave a good description of life on campus & in the program. For my daughter, I think they are the one to beat at the moment. We’ll see how the weekend goes. Good luck!

3 Likes

Oh that’s good. We missed the UNH events. (Be nice if they held more than one Saturday event)

3 Likes

It is sometimes less intimidating to meet with a current student than faculty. I know they do that within the other colleges at UNH. You could ask COLSA staff if there is a student he could come meet with before May 1. They are usually students that were a part of admitted students events.

1 Like

We’re meeting with the Biomedical Sciences guy today and we’ve been emailing the Animal Science chair too. They’ve been very accommodating.

2 Likes