Predictive Scores on PSAT 8/9

The 99% range on the PSAT 8/9 covers an awful lot of scores. Anyone have a sense what those scores would need to be? 99.5% or halfway through the score set? I don’t know where the largest number of scores are clustered. My kids will be in a highly selective pool of either boarding or California. I am looking at a score of 1280 for an 8th grader and 1370 for a 9th grader? I am trying to determine if either is on track for eventual NMF and 99% is really not helpful. Thanks.

To be honest, once you reach the 98th/99th percentile, a lot of it will come down to luck on that particular day. Different test, but in 9th grade my son got a 35 on reading in the ACT. In 11th grade? A 29. He got NMSF fairly easily (223 in IL), but if he’d been unlucky and had a day like that on the PSAT? No way.

Point being: especially if you’re in a tough state, all you can do is put yourself in good position to do well and cross your fingers.

5 Likes

The variance/SD of the growth estimates from 8th/9th to 11th are so large that the specific scores aren’t really valuable. (Something like 1440 with an 80 point SD). “In the ballpark” is about all you can take away, IMO.

https://satsuite.collegeboard.org/media/pdf/student-level-sat-suite-growth-estimates.pdf

Thank you. That is really helpful. They could score the same score on the SAT two years ago so i was confused about the potential trajectory.