PreNursing question Madison/Minnesota

I got into Madison and Minnesota for undecided in Liberal Arts/ Letters and Science, because I didn’t know what to do. Now, I’m thinking nursing is good for me. Is it practical/ possible to contact the schools to ask if they can switch my major to prenursing? Is that even what happens? Like, is prenursing even in a specific college?

Also, do my stats matter for the switch? I’m also a male.

Yes, just email UW-Madison Admissions to request a change from undecided to pre-nursing.

onwisconsin@admissions.wisc.edu

My daughter’s acceptance in December stated admission was as a “pre-nursing student in the School of Nursing.” While that sounds promising, there is really no benefit versus an undecided or other major interested in nursing. Those who have completed specific courses have to apply to the Nursing program after sophomore year. No special consideration is given to “pre-nursing” students and many of those eventually admitted have had to apply twice (making it a five year program if they get in at all).

The advantage of declaring any major at UW is to have SOAR advising related to your choice instead of just general advising. No guarantee of being accepted into the nursing program, but once you are in you will be able to get the needed classes. You will still be in L&S as that is where most prerequisite and breadth courses will be. Do read up on how each school approaches the nursing major to decide which one seems best for you.

Thank you all for your help. Do I have to have really good stats though for them to let me email them to switch my major to prenursing? My stats dont seem that great for such a competitive program.

Act:29

Uw gpa:3.5
W gpa: 3.7
Hard class load all 4 years, but I’m at grade level math
Ap scores of 4 on bio, psych, and human geo.
6 varsity letters, no volunteer work (but I might do a CNA thing over the summer), and the part that’ll help me the most: I’m male.
I’m kind of banking on act and al, will they really just let me switch that easy? Do you recommend that I NEED to do CNA to layer get into the actual program?

Correction: ACT is a 29.

You are admitted to the university as a whole for UW. All you need to do is change your proposed major. Check the UW nursing program site for recommendations for courses needed and other helpful advice to get into the nursing program. I’m a physician (UW undergrad) and frankly do not see why you would bother with spending time and money on a CNA program when you will then go to college and have no time to work. RN’s have a different role in patient care. It may be that some volunteering will be useful and would help you decide if you like nursing. This is something you can start now. Once you are at UW your HS stats do not mean anything. It will be your college record that counts, plus any volunteering to show interest I would imagine. Being admitted to UW means that they think you can be a successful student there.