President Obama will speak at Noon Thursday on Bascom Hill

<p>Obama</a> will visit Madison Thursday | News - Channel3000.com</p>

<p>The Secret Service just checked my daughter’s floor in Chadbourne.</p>

<p>My daughter reserved tickets, and is very excited to go. She and her friend are going to line up as early as possible to have the best possible vantage point. IIRC, the last time Obama spoke at Madison was in 2010 and he drew 26,000 to the Bascom area.</p>

<p>I’m glad my daughter has the opportunity and the interest to take advantage of this experience. I have seen two presidents in person: Eisenhower (I must have been about 5 years old), and George Bush #2. I have seen other prominent political figures such as Hubert Humphrey, Walter Mondale, Paul Wellstone, and Eugene McCarthy (can’t tell I’m a Minnesotan, eh?) I also saw Raisa Gorbachav (does that count?)</p>

<p>These provide memories that last a lifetime, Good on UW Madison.</p>

<p>While I agree with all the “great experience” lines of though the location amd timing are ill-advised. This is six weeks exam week and many students have exams scheduled on Thursday–some in the buildings that will be closed all day Thurs. That is to great an inconvenience. They should have had the even either at Kohl or in the football stadium–much more controlled venues without adjacent classes. And or the time could have been after 5 when most exams are over.</p>

<p>Barrons, aren’t they at the four week mark?</p>

<p>In any case, like Obama or not, a visit by a sitting president is a big deal, and the inconvenience is to be tolerated.</p>

<p>Daughter’s exam scheduled for Thursday afternoon is postponed to next week and class canceled.</p>

<p>So my daughter tells me she received an email from the University saying that workers will install a tarp over her window (and all the windows on that side of her wing and the adjacent wing which face Bascom Hill) tomorrow morning and it will be up until Friday. During that time they are not allowed to open the windows or disturb the tarp in any way. Should be nice and dark in that room for the next two + days. She is still excited to see the President though.</p>

<p>I read that many profs had exams scheduled this week. “6 weeks” is just a catch phrase for first major exams odf the semester. By my count this is the 5th week.</p>

<p><a href=“http://host.madison.com/daily-cardinal/news/campus/article_53037ba4-0d2a-11e2-b5e8-0019bb2963f4.html#.UGxjaWadpA0.twitter[/url]”>http://host.madison.com/daily-cardinal/news/campus/article_53037ba4-0d2a-11e2-b5e8-0019bb2963f4.html#.UGxjaWadpA0.twitter&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>For what it is worth, my freshman son has one exam this week, scheduled for tomorrow – it is going forward as planned, before the speech. Prof has sent out information about which doors to use to enter the building etc. The rest of his midterms are over the next two weeks, between weeks 5-7. </p>

<p>Sounds like they are really excited for tomorrow, the word was spreading like wildfire early in the week.</p>

<p>I think my son has a midterm scheduled tomorrow also and am pretty sure it is going on as planned. He also had a midterm last week and also a paper scheduled for the same day as the midterm. I do not think all the professors are changing their testing schedule. Too bad…</p>

<p>Badger basketball team gets meeting with Obama.</p>

<p>[Wisconsin</a> players meet President Obama, talk hoops and get LSAT tips | The Dagger: College Basketball Blog - Yahoo! Sports](<a href=“Wisconsin players meet President Obama, talk hoops and get LSAT tips”>Wisconsin players meet President Obama, talk hoops and get LSAT tips)</p>

<p>Sounds like they are really excited for tomorrow, the word was spreading like wildfire early in the week.</p>