Private Housing - High lander......Question !

<p>I'm an incoming Freshman for 2009 Fall semester.</p>

<p>I have been researching both university residence halls and private housing options.</p>

<p>With Lucky being a little expensive, Highlander has caught my attention.</p>

<p>I just wanted to know what people think about living in Highlander as a Freshman.</p>

<p>& also how far it is to go to classes... dining options.. etc. (I don't have a car!)</p>

<p>See the "public/private housing" thread. There is a link. Highlander is "5 blocks" from campus per their link from a post- farther than other options. The building has been around since at least the 1970's. Having a car would do you no good- no parking anywhere convenient on campus. Especially coming from far away, living in the public dorms would give you access to so much more.</p>

<p>This past year I lived at the Highlander and am going to live there again next year. The Highlander is a good place to live, especially if you are a freshman since the owners are specifically focusing on freshman needs. Plus it is close to the campus, close to state street, just over 100 people in the building so it is not too loud, and offers a dining service, which is a huge time saver. There is parking available, all though not that much, walking or having a bike/moped is the best option. Also, the Highlander provides access to all the campus facilities just the dorms.</p>

<p>The Highlander actually is not that far from Campus, it is just a block and a half off of State Street, and in fact is only a 10 minute walk to campus and Library Mall. True the building has been around since the 1970's, however it has been completely remodeled in the last 2 years including all new paint, new flooring and lighting and all new furniture in every apartment. Take a look at the website and you can see what all they offer as well as some pictures Highlander</a> House | Campus Connect | Student Housing at UW-Madison and MATC</p>

<p>In addition the Highlander is going to re-do the dining room this summer, and will be offering 2 different meal plan options for this coming school year. Both will include dollars for meals as well as dollars for doing laundry, making purchases from vending machines, and even ordering from a variety of outside vendors, and The Highlander will give you up to $250 for this. </p>

<p>This combined with their in depth Residence Life Program it is certainly worth your time to check out Highlander as an option for your housing while at UW-Madison.</p>

<p>I have lived at the Regent for the past two years, which is owned by the same company as the Highlander (now Steve Brown ... they have changed hands several times). I really could not be happier at the Regent and I have heard similar things about Highlander. The leasing staff is all great and incredibly approachable. The rooms themselves are really nice and modern AND CLEAN, which is a rarity in Madison. The Regent is right behind Camp Randall Stadium and its a really short walk to the Business School, which is nice for me. Highlander is more centrally located, also really close to campus. One of my favorite things is, believe it or not, the laundry room because it is all card operated and you dont have to lug around quarters with you. I am living at the Regent again next year and wouldnt consider anywhere else.</p>