Professor Thomas Zeiler, Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics

My son just informed me of the death of Dr. Thomas Zeiler, a long-time aero-engineering professor at UA. This occurred the last weekend in June. I believe he was ~62? I can find no further information about this. Please PM me if you have any details.

Prof Zeiler taught the upperclass Aero Design courses to (mostly) seniors, and had been at UA for nearly 30 years, I believe. Being so, he had no doubt seen a great deal of growth and change in the department over that time.

Prof Zeiler oversaw the projects all senior aero students do, notably the AIAA’s Design/Build/Fly competition, each year. This year, due to the increased numbers of aero-engineering students, there were going to be a whopping 4 separate senior design teams (whereas in the not-so-distant past there were only enough students for 1 team). His passing leaves a huge hole in the department.

Prof Zeiler was the lone aero faculty member who took us on a very thorough tour of the UA facilities during our college visit back in 2011. He was our first impression of the department, and he looked like he should be at a Grateful Dead concert instead of giving prospective students tours. :wink: (No worries: he would take that as a compliment!). He was kind and patient with my son and his many, many, many questions about the aero program at UA. He even expressed surprise at how l-o-n-g my son wanted to talk and tour with him, which, if you knew Zeiler, you will know why this was unusual. My thoughts go out to his family, his friends, his colleagues, and his students.

Very sad for the department. Sounds like he had big shoes to fill.

My son told me about this last week. He just finished up two classes with Dr. Zeiler this year as a senior in the aero dept. He said words cannot describe Dr. Zeiler. My son felt he was completely devoted to his students, and the dept. will be feeling this loss for some time. I also looked online and couldn’t find any details. I did see a small article in the Tuscaloosa news yesterday. But no details on his death. Very sad.

So sorry to hear this. Prayers for his family.