Prospective Student Questions

<p>Hey everyone I am currently a junior (soon to be a senior) from New York and I just started looking into Alabama. I’ll be honest, the amazing scholarships are what hooked me, but the more I look into the college, the more I am impressed. Here are just a few things about myself:</p>

<p>ACT: 33
GPA: 97/100
Class Rank: 8/250</p>

<p>I am fairly involved in ECs and have taken a pretty rigorous schedule.</p>

<p>Also, I am interested in biochemistry or some biochemical engineering and I am also very interested in Spanish studies (strange combination, I know). I also may go onto grad school for pharmacy or dentistry (I know they don’t offer this at Alabama but they do have certificate programs). As you can tell, I am unsure of what I really want to do.</p>

<p>So the few questions I had:

• How is the honors experience as a whole? Are the academics challenging and are the dorms really as nice as everybody makes them seem?
  • I am a bit confused on the differences of each honors program. The international honors program seems like a fit, but the computer-based honors and university fellows also seem very neat. If anybody could help me out with this it would be wonderful.
  • Are the study abroad opportunities generous and how would a university scholarship work with them if I were to study over the summer?
  • Lastly…Anything else I should know about Alabama or the topics of study I’m interested in?</p>

<p>Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration!</p>

<p>Hi…and welcome! (please also post on the Roll Call thread… :slight_smile: ) <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1096387-what-state-everybody-roll-call.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1096387-what-state-everybody-roll-call.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>*So the few questions I had:
*</p>

<p>- How is the honors experience as a whole? Are the academics challenging and are the dorms really as nice as everybody makes them seem?</p>

<p>My kids really enjoy/enjoyed the honors classes at Bama…as well as many of the non-honors. One son just graduated from Bama in May (math major and CBHP student) …and the son is a rising junior (Chemical engineering and pre-med) </p>

<p>Both of my kids have been very academically challenged…no slacking!!</p>

<p>BTW…you’re right…a school doesn’t have to have a pharm or dental or med or vet school in order to fulfill the pre-reqs so that you can be accepted into such a professional school. Bama has very good pre-health advising…and it’s one of the few publics that writes Committee Letters which help with admission.</p>

<p>Yes…the honors dorms are SUPER nice!</p>

<p>Both of my boys took Spanish and Italian. Both have had amazing profs…All the “Ana’s” in Spanish are very good (others are, too…but the 3 profs with the first name “Ana” have been excellent with my sons.) Taking Spanish while seeking some kind of pre-health major is a very good idea.</p>

<p>As you know, with your stats, you would get free tuition (including OOS tuition). This scholarship will increase in value if tuition increases…so that is very good. And, it covers up to 20 credits per semester…also very generous. </p>

<p>I am a bit confused on the differences of each honors program. The international honors program seems like a fit, but the computer-based honors and university fellows also seem very neat. If anybody could help me out with this it would be wonderful.</p>

<p>Great info here… <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/804961-honors-colleges-4-different-programs-app-process.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/804961-honors-colleges-4-different-programs-app-process.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<h2>*</h2>

<ul>
<li>Are the study abroad opportunities generous and how would a university scholarship work with them if I were to study over the summer?</li>
<li>Lastly…Anything else I should know about Alabama or the topics of study I’m interested in?*</li>
</ul>

<p>If you were to study over a semester, then you could use your scholarship. If you were to study over the summer and want to use your scholarship, I think you have to give up one of your 8 semesters. </p>

<p>Yes…there are numerous study abroad opps for many, many countries. </p>

<p>What else do you want to know about Bama?</p>

<p>About 47% of students are from OOS. About 2000 students have the Presidential Scholarship. Over 550 have National Scholarships. Bama has students from all over the country…including Hawai’i and Alaska.</p>

<p>T-town is a great city for a university to be in. It sits on the Black Warrior River. It’s not too big of a city, and it’s not a small city…it’s just right. :)</p>

<p>T-town is twice the size of Manhattan.</p>

<p>The campus is GORGEOUS…</p>

<p>look at this video…
Video [YouTube</a> - ‪The University of Alabama College of Arts & Sciences "This is How College is Meant to Be"‬‏](<a href=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZlHp-Xu81M]YouTube”>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZlHp-Xu81M)</p>

<p>Also…Bama is very generous with AP/IB/CLEP/and dual credits…which makes it easier to double major, do some minors, get a grad degree at the same time, etc.</p>

<p>I really appreciate all of the information and insight! Thanks for taking the time to fill me in!</p>

<p>Let us know if you have any other questions! We’ll be happy to answer them. :)</p>

<p>BTW…study abroad link</p>

<p><a href=“Education Abroad – International | The University of Alabama”>Education Abroad – International | The University of Alabama;

<p>Scorentino; Welcome to our forum!</p>

<p>scorenino…</p>

<p>Robotbldmom and her family are from New York (Long Island). Her son is a rising sophomore at Bama.</p>

<p>Scorentino: send you a PM. :)</p>

<p>Hey everybody, sorry to bump this again. robotbldmom, I think your inbox may be full so I couldn’t reply to the PM. </p>

<p>I’d like to thank both you and mom2collegekids for the welcome and all of the help! It is really great and truly appreciated.</p>

<p>I am a male from Buffalo and I attend an average suburban high school. I enjoy playing and coaching soccer and most of my other ECs involve business. I always felt that I would go into business, but I have recently decided that I’d prefer to go into the sciences. I am thinking something along the lines of biochemistry with a pre-pharmacy or pre-dentistry track. I am also very interested in studying Spanish. I have studied Spanish throughout high school and will recieve college credit next year through a partnership between my high school and local college. I have completed 3 APs and will have 4 more after next year, so that might be able to help me with my goals.</p>

<p>As for Alabama, the one question that seems to come up a lot is the adjustment for northerners to the “southern lifestyle.” For example, it is much harder to get into a frat (I am unsure if I would go into greek life - Mabee you could give me some insight in your opinion). Also, any information honors college related would be helpful. The CBHP seems intruiging and if anybody knows anything about what admissions looks at or just the curriculum in general, it would be great.</p>

<p>Thank you again, I truly appreciate all of your help and efforts!</p>

<p>As for Alabama, the one question that seems to come up a lot is the adjustment for northerners to the “southern lifestyle.” For example, it is much harder to get into a frat (I am unsure if I would go into greek life - Mabee you could give me some insight in your opinion). Also, any information honors college related would be helpful. The CBHP seems intruiging and if anybody knows anything about what admissions looks at or just the curriculum in general, it would be great.</p>

<p>As a Californian who now lives in the South, I can tell you that there isn’t any “adjustment” that would differ from going to any other place in the country. </p>

<p>Yes…you might see some southern dishes on menus that you’re not used to seeing…but I know when I travel elsewhere that sort of stuff is common and that doesn’t require an ‘adjustment’. Yes, there will be some store and restaurant chains that may be new to you, that happens everywhere, too.</p>

<p>Large American cities are becoming more and more homogeneous (I don’t mean in ethnic groups) , I mean that because national companies are everywhere, you can drive thru the business part of any good sized city and see many of the same stores and restaurants…Best Buy, Barnes and Noble, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, fast food chains, etc. You can’t tell where you really are</p>

<p>You will find that many people (especially young people) do not have southern accents…there are a few reasons for this…</p>

<p>1) many students are from OOS.</p>

<p>2) many students who are instate are “transplants” from elsewhere because their parents’ jobs moved them here.</p>

<p>3) many native students have grown up watching TV and have learned to talk like those on TV. </p>

<p>The last thing was the most surprising to me. When we first moved to the South, our church got a young priest from Birmingham…born and bred southerner…no accent at all. None of his sibs had accents, either. He told me that his peers didn’t speak with accents because of TV. </p>

<p>However, those students who have grown up in the more rural parts of the south will have some quaint accents. I don’t think I ever heard a southern accent from any of the profs…but, some of the support staff will have southern accents.</p>

<p>As for Greeks…If you want to rush, I recommend that you come to Greek Preview next March.</p>

<p>CBHP is intriguing. My older son who graduated in May was in CBHP. Since you have a health profession interest, CBHP works very well with that.</p>

<p>I recommend visiting Bama when you can and requesting an appt with Dr. Sharpe to discuss CBHP. Getting face time with Dr. S is a help with getting selected. Admissions into CBHP …looks at essays, scores, GPA, interests…etc.</p>

<p>Scorentino: cleared my inbox and sent you a reply. :)</p>

<p>Scorentino: Sent you some info, but thought that I would reply to CBH and Frat questions here, as others may benefit as well.</p>

<p>The Computer Based Honors program is not for the faint of heart. It is a great program and I think it goes along very well with the Pre-Med studies, However, it is both a time consuming and challenging program. The first semester you will enroll in CBH which is 4 credits and learn Fortran, the second semester you will enroll in CBH again and learn C++ (Again 4 credits). For the first year, you will have a very involved final semester project (each semester). After freshman year, You will continue with CBH but you will be doing research for years two and three. At the end of each semester (years 2 and 3) you will present your research. The CBH program is your minor. Adding this minor to your pre-med requirements might take a bit of juggling. Now this is certainly not meant to discourage anyone from applying but I wanted to also point out that only forty freshman students are admitted each year. The stats are competitive and you have to apply:
[Honors</a> College - Apply](<a href=“http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/index.php?page=apply]Honors”>http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/index.php?page=apply)</p>

<p>Check out the following link for more info:
[Honors</a> College - What is CBHP?](<a href=“http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/index.php?page=what-is-cbhp]Honors”>http://honors.cbhp.ua.edu/index.php?page=what-is-cbhp)</p>

<p>It is an extremely worthwhile program. I am sure that other parents can chime in on their student’s experiences. </p>

<p>As far as Frats go, it is possible to join as an OOS student. My son really had no interest in Greek LIfe and he did not make any inquiries but was asked to join by two fraternities. However, he is very busy and content to be an independent. See NJBama’s recent posts/thread on fraternities.</p>

<p>I don’t know if I would recommend that someone in a pre-health major pledge a frat…and this is why.</p>

<p>Many of your pre-health pre-reqs are done that first year in college…bio,chem, calc, etc. And…pledging is very time-consuming.</p>

<p>Your cum GPA and your “science GPA” are so important to apps to health professional schools (dental, pharm, med, etc.)</p>

<p>One of my friend’s son (at a Calif UC) wishes that her son didn’t pledge at his school. He was pre-med and she felt that it did impact his GPA. He didn’t get accepted to any US MD schools…he’s at a DO school. He had a 3.5 overall GPA and a 3.4 science GPA. (science = math, physics, bio, chem)</p>

<p>I happen to agree with Mom2ck, your cumulative GPA, your science GPA, and your MCAT scores are all essential components for admission to med school. Anything that impacts those grades will impact your admissions. That does not mean that you will not have a social life or time for other activities such as volunteering. However, being in a Fraternity can be very consuming.</p>

<p>While professors and many students may not have strong southern accents, you will find that most non-faculty employees do. I know for a fact that the woman who records the automated “confirm your schedule/pay your bill” message has a VERY STRONG southern accent.</p>

<p>In all truth though, it is very easy to get used to living in the south. Alabama has all modern conveniences, including name brand foods and top quality medical care. If anything, you will be surprised by the genuine friendliness and politeness of people in Alabama. It is possible that you will acquire a slight southern accent when you least expect it, but it is all part of the experience. You could go to school in Minnesota or Southern California and pick up those accents just as easily.</p>

<p>As for pledging a fraternity, apart from two (KA and DKE), you will have a chance at any fraternity. In fact, many of the fraternities want geographic diversity. Coming form OOS, I would seriously recommend pledging sophomore year so that you will have more time to get acquainted with the various fraternities on campus.</p>

<p>My fraternity has 4 or 5 pre-med students who are all pulling a 3.8 or higher. The CBH student who just got into Harvard Med was in an old row fraternity. It definitely can be done, so I wouldn’t necessarily rule out joining as a freshman. It’s all about how confident you are in your time management skills and the particularly Greek organization you’d be joining.</p>

<p>Pretzeldude…can you tell more about your frat. As I understand it, it’s not like a traditional frat…not as time demanding and such.</p>

<p>*While professors and many students may not have strong southern accents, you will find that most non-faculty employees do. I know for a fact that the woman who records the automated “confirm your schedule/pay your bill” message has a VERY STRONG southern accent.</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>*However, those students who have grown up in the more rural parts of the south will have some quaint accents. I don’t think I ever heard a southern accent from any of the profs…but, some of the support staff will have southern accents.
*</p>

<p>Yes…the support employees do have accents.</p>

<p>But, my original point was that there should be no fear about experiencing some kind of odd “culture shock.” Yes, some things will be different…I remember traveling to Washington (near the Canadian border) and finding it weird that the McDonalds serves vinegar with fries…because that is a local custom there. They still had ketchup for the rest of us. :)</p>

<p>Sweet tea can seem odd, but in recent years, most restaurants also serve the traditional “unsweet tea” (which, when ordering, be sure to emphasize the “UN”). I often say, Unsweet tea - no sugar…especially in a drive thru where hearing can be an issue (and I always immediately taste the tea upon arrival).</p>

<p>One thing that others notice is that people in the south are very friendly. That can be surprising to those who live in certain areas of the country where people aren’t as “hey, how’s it going” kind of people. My California nephew experienced this shock this year when he enrolled at Tufts near Boston. He’s more used to the more friendly Calif ways. </p>

<p>The bottom line is that Ttown is a large city that has been influenced by all the trends across America.</p>

<p>Yes, “Non Traditional” Fraternities or those just restarting may not be as time demanding as certain of the “Old Row” Fraternities. It is also about how involved you want to be: Do you want to eventually run for officer positions, start committees, etc? There is an expectation among the “Greeks” that there be a certain level of commitment to group activity, otherwise why are you joining?? Some Frats have study times and meal times when you are expected to be at your house. It is strictly a personal choice but if you are going to join, taking freshman year to scout out the Frats is a very good idea in my opinion. Then you will have more time to find a Fraternity that suits your interests. </p>

<p>Being Pre-Med does not exclude being in a Frat as Pretzeldude pointed out. However, if you need to add EC’s to your med school application and only have time for a few, make them count. Over the course of your college years, you will need time to study, to volunteer, to shadow, to prepare for the MCATS, to research, to complete many med-school applications, and maybe even hold down a campus job. Let’s not forget football!! You simply cannot do it all effectively if you are stretched too thin.
Choose carefully and learn time management skills and you will be able to accomplish your goals.</p>

<p>Thank you for all of the information. The help is awsome and I really do appreciate it!</p>